Explosion Proof Flashlights

Sadden

Enlightened
Hello everyone , I am looking for both a flashlight and headlamp , that are high quality , super tough , and more importantly explosion proof.

I clean industrial tanks and vessels for the oil and gas industry. And do confined space entries in dangerous environments. And any equipment I take in with me must be rated and CSA approved.

Right now I have 2 units , one is 50ish lm , and a decent handheld unit that is 140ish lm. I would like to get up around 400-500lm if possible.
Any recommendations?

Ishango

Enlightened
Only light I know about is the Adalit L5 ATEX Zone 0. Takes 4 AAA batteries, outputs 135 lumens and is rated according to the highest rating and is used by firefighters as well. Streamlight and Pelican both have intrinsically safe lights as well.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an explosion proof double D cell flashlight that is clearly identified by the USAF designation and a permissible electric flashlight certification by UL laboratories made by Stewart R Brown mfg.

JBE

Newly Enlightened
I work in the oil & gas industry (production) and we either use something from the Streamlight Haz-Lo Series or Pelican SabreLites

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we be completely clear is your requirement is for an explosion proof light (so a light which has a casing that will contain any explosion it causes), or an intrinsically safe light which cannot cause an explosion.

There is an important difference here, and I suspect in the environment you describe it will need to be intrinsically safe. The very nature of intrinsically safe is going to limit total output as energy levels need to be relatively low.

gianetics

Enlightened
maybe change the led. streamlight uses what they call a c4 led. swap it for a xm-l2 xp-g2 or xp-l. you could see a huge increase

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need class 1 division 1 light. only that rating is made for flamable\combustabloe fumes\vapor enviroment.

bright guy sells some light and healamps with that rating.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe change the led. streamlight uses what they call a c4 led. swap it for a xm-l2 xp-g2 or xp-l. you could see a huge increase

If you modify any light, all its ratings become voided. Certifications are valid only for the light as originally tested using the cells it was certified with.

Modding a light for use in a dangerous environment is a VERY bad idea.

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
hi i am new here but years ago i bought a us bureau of mines approved explosion proof flashlight i believe it was from snapon tools. i dont know if they made it or just oem'd it for some other company but you might look in the snapon catalog or flag down a truck if you have one in your area

good luck,

buddy

el soluna

Newly Enlightened
The nitecore EF1. No kidding if you want an explosion-proof from a high notch brand.

koppit

Newly Enlightened
Not sure how it is in the US, but I have some experience in ATEX in Norway. First you need to know what what gas you are going to be exposed to. Then you can get the Temperature class T1-T6 of this gas. This to ensure that the equipment won't get hot enough to self ignite the gas. Then you have to make sure that the equpment can't release enough energy to ignite the gas (IIA-IIC). You also need to keep in mind what Zone you are in (Zone 0-2). Ex-ia (intrinsicly safe) equpment is the only equipment allowed in Zone 0 (with a few exceptions). You need to make sure that you get a certificate issued by a qualified Test Center. Be careful to check the certificate for special condition like what battery Brand and model is safe to use.