Fake PCB/Protection in UltraFire?

ganjalordhomburg

Newly Enlightened
So I decided to undertake some investigative work and see if these Protected TrustFire 18650s are actually protected. I peel back the wrapper and sure enough I find what initially appears to be some kind of circuitry on the bottom. It's strange though, it was just sitting there at the bottom of the wrapper. I must have accidentally disconnected it while peeling off the wrapper.

Upon closer examination, I am not sure I can distinguish whether or not this thing is even real. It's completely flat, has absolutely no depth to it. Can someone more enlightened take a look at these pictures and chime in? All the examples of PCB protection I've seen online had significant more circuitry than this

SV0An36.jpg

fOQagHv.jpg

battery_bro

Newly Enlightened
I think echo is right - it's an incomplete PCB without components (the actual chips are not soldered on). However I don't find it odd - there are dozens, perhaps more locations that produce batteries labeled Ultrafire. Many of these places will do anything to make a few extra dollars. This is pretty hilarious actually (and unethical). :fail:

tripplec

Enlightened
I had thought the protection circuit was on the +ve end (bump seen along the side near the top).

Learned something reading this.

I got a pair of Trustfire 14500 protected cells for a test in flashlights used individually. They cut out after being on for some time. Turning the light off then back on again the light came on but off again pretty soon. I figure that's the protection circuit working preventing it from over discharging. After recharging the cell everything was normal again.

However with that cell you would not get the cut out and it would dim as the cell went too low. Its tough sometimes to know which cells are at least good.

Last edited:

hazza

Newly Enlightened
This is extremely poor, but sadly, also no surprise to me.

Good job posting this though, there are definitely people on these forums that would benefit from really seeing what kind of thing goes on with the xxxxFire labelled items.

ginbot86

Newly Enlightened
I had thought the protection circuit was on the +ve end (bump seen along the side near the top).

Learned something reading this.

Protection circuits for single-cell Li-ion cells usually have the protection at the negative terminal (low-side protection). Although there are some protected 18650s that use high-side protection (I think some Efest models used a "cap" on the positive terminal but I could be wrong), most use low-side protection as the MOSFET switches used are more compact and also somewhat cheaper.

That said, I'm curious how this TrustFire would have even worked without any physical connection between the cell and the PCB. Apart from the lack of populated components, the contact between the bare PCB and the cell would have been shoddy at best...

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems Legit. :duck::poke:

Seriously, I am confused. You have 2 pics. Is that both sides of the "protection board"?

As others have mentioned. Avoid any "Fire" battery. I avoid using them even if they are given to me. Only thing they are good for is doing a post like yours to inform others. Or giving them away to your inlaws. :) <-- That's a joke!!

Enlightened
Personally I would not worry at all as it is just more bogey man stories that turns this hobby into a parody as normal.Your best friend is pure common sense and many many items are no name but in many cases are made by the big players for a neutral price concious selling point. My son bought from his place of work an unbranded builders Led torch last xmas for me as he knew I had an interest in the parody.No name charger(s) no name 18650 battery and a no name torch.It works and charges fine with no issues. Use common sense if it feels not right stop using but do not fall into the trap that just because it has a known brand label it is better as that is complete nonsense.
Above all, follow the instruction sheet.