Fat bikes

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hi TKC,
Just a trivial point that may, or may not be interesting. Looking closer at your excellent bike, one thing became apparent to me. Our NANNY STATE GOVERNMENT some five decades ago, decreed that normal everyday Aussie citizens could not handle a bike with front brake on the left side and rear brake on the right side of the handlebars ( as you sit on the bike ) . I know we drive/ride on the left side of any given carriageway, and to the govt of the day, it was decided that in a panic situation, the average Aussie would grab a big handful of front brake and thus cause said Aussie to complete massive endo over handlebars. So, ever since, we now have bikes with front brakes on RH and rear on LH side of bars. Mind you, back then, old calliper brakes would have had a hard time stopping a rampaging fieldmouse with a towrope around its neck.

:caution:

see here View attachment 1776 View attachment 1777

( Note; on the roadbike, the brake cables exit the bars just near the headstem, the cables coming from the levers are the gearshift cables, Shimano STI system )
We have that whole Nanny State thing going too.

I try not to complain about the US Nanny State situation.
I'd rather complain about the morons who keep re-electing them.

It seems the front brake is nearly always way too grippy on many bicycles. I dial them to assist the rear brakes on kids bikes or just remove them entirely.

Since this thread began I've more fat bikes on the rooves (is that a word?) of cars and less road/trail bikes as I travel the Interstate.
They seem to really be catching on over here.

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Specialized FatBoy SE and I like it very much. I don't have a pic of my own, but it looks like this:

Like TKC said, it's the most fun I've ever had riding a bike, just like when I was a kid. And they are slow to ride on roads and any flat surface. Lots of rolling resistance and large knobby tires feel like a bicycle version of a mudder truck. Loud humming and vibration on flat surfaces. All that said, it's so cool! You can ride it on any terrain with no worries.

Well worth getting one. :thumbsup:

That is a great looking bike!!

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
I was passed up by 2 fat bikes today if that counts for anything. They are getting more popular here. I saw a kid on the trail about 2 months ago & he had two fat tires on the front of his bike, about 3" apart. It was so unstable he could barely ride it...he looked proud of it though.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
We have that whole Nanny State thing going too.

I try not to complain about the US Nanny State situation.
I'd rather complain about the morons who keep re-electing them.

It seems the front brake is nearly always way too grippy on many bicycles. I dial them to assist the rear brakes on kids bikes or just remove them entirely.

Since this thread began I've more fat bikes on the rooves (is that a word?) of cars and less road/trail bikes as I travel the Interstate.
They seem to really be catching on over here.

Typically it stays grippy because it is rarely used. When still new, the rear break is what people use practice riding, even in the stand, so the front isn't broken in, which keeps it sticky. As long as you know what you are doing, in the US, it should be illegal to have the front break on the left side, so that you can signal with your other hand on the more powerful break. In Europe, that's how it works. All my bikes (that have hand breaks) have the European set-up reversed for this reason.

autogiro

Enlightened
I just stumbled over here and found this thread!
Here is my new Borealis Echo. Don't mind the pedals, they were temporary until my RaceFace Atlas pedals got here. 4.8 tubeless front and back.
Auto

25409775034_16f1264763_b.jpg

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank for posting your Fat Bike autogiro!!

I was in a nasty car accident in Dec., and have been out of commission since. I didn't get to ride all Winter, and I still can't ride now, which is killing me!! I just had shoulder surgery April 1st., and I have some other physical issues going on from the car accident that I need to take care of.

I did get my bike a tune up, so it IS ready for me ride, when I am able to ride again.

dhunley1

Enlightened
I put a deposit down on a Specialized Fatboy, this morning. I was on my motorcycle, on my way to work, so I couldn't go home with it today, but I pick it up tomorrow morning.

Pretty excited for it, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing some snow on the ground.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a deposit down on a Specialized Fatboy, this morning. I was on my motorcycle, on my way to work, so I couldn't go home with it today, but I pick it up tomorrow morning.

Pretty excited for it, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing some snow on the ground.
Congrats on a nice bike. We would all love snow. To bad it rarely snows here in my town. But I do drive to it in the Sierra mountains:)

Now I have to get one. Looks so sweet. But that means I can't be lazy anymore:)

Sure you can ~

48v 9ah Samsung battery. We saw people renting these at Ocean Shores this summer. They were having a blast riding them up and down the beach. We made plans to rent two the next day but the weather took a major turn toward wet-n-cold.

~ Chance
bAZbxwX.jpg

dhunley1

Enlightened
Now I have to get one. Looks so sweet. But that means I can't be lazy anymore:)

You should get one. I haven't had this much fun riding a bike since I was a kid! I caught myself smiling a couple times while I was just cruising around.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a fatbike a few months now. It's a Felt DD70 with a few upgrades (not to mention the Fenix PD35 tac on the handlebars). I still end up grinning like an idiot everytime I go out on it!

Fatbike on Nairn east beach
by Elizabeth Oldham, on Flickr

​Congrats!!! I still grin like an idiot, when I ride mine. (Although, I have not been able to ride mine in a long time. STILL dealing with physical issues from car accident. I MISS riding my bike.)

dhunley1

Enlightened
Congrats!! That is a cool looking bike!! I hope you love riding your Fat bike, as much as I do.

Thanks! I wen't for a nice 10+ mile trail ride this past weekend and had a blast! I had it completely caked in mud by the end of the ride. Really wanted to get a pic of it, but by the time I got home, it was dark and I wanted to get it washed off ASAP. I rode through some mud that my friends on "regular" mountain bikes had no chance of making it through. Felt like I was mud bogging in a 4X4!