Favorite budget light 2021

Wurkkos

3oni

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
My surprise budget favorite of 2021 (so far!) has been my little $9 Wurkkos WK02 penlight. I've been drifting away from hotrod lights with fancy UIs and towards simpler lights, and this certainly fits the bill.

The momentary switch is great to have, and 300 lumens with a nice tint tends to be just fine for me on a day-to-day basis. And it absolutely vanishes in my pocket; I don't even notice it's there. Plus: $9! :)

HazeElctrc

Newly Enlightened
It's that time again. What time, you ask. Time to start discussing our favorite budget light for 2021. Be it one released in 2021, or just new to us, or a carry over favorite from previous years.

My initial entry for this year is a 130 lumen number by Energizer. A 1aa with a two-way clip. It was $12 at my local grocery store where my favorite $3.50 home comfort air filter is $5.99 so you can probably find it for less if interested. It's model PMHH11.

I surmize it's probably not regulated, but my moving ceiling fan blade test showed the what appears to be 25% output low showed what appears as a very fast PWM. The beam is a nice egg shell neutral in the upper 5000 kelvin range. Nichia perhaps? The flash mode is not some weird epilileptic inducing so called tactical "self defense" flash but more of an attention grabber for road side emergencies type thing. Think 1 flash per second.

The clip is ok. I'd hesitate to use the term robust simply because it will probably be to soft and bend if abused, yet will make it easy to slide onto a ball cap brim. It comes with an energizer max battery and a wrist strap that is attached in the package.

The modes are hi/lo/flash where if you wait a couple of seconds it prompts back to hi. Momentary is available with the forward clicky that was like a goldilox bowl of poridge……just right. The button produdes enough to eliminate tail stand but not enough to pocket activate. The head is glued on and the clip is not removeable unless you can get the head off. The tailcap is user serviceable and has a gold color coating over the button instead of using a bare spring.

Overall this one falls in the "these days even bad flashlights aint bad" category.

13717105-1613-4-C0-A-9727-3-EF72-A9-C46-DF.jpg

The specs

86-FB328-E-C936-4-BA1-BD83-18-A32-A596-D5-A.jpg

The clip and lanyard

B92-DC7-E7-EB6-A-47-A5-B9-BF-4253-C8753-E2-B.jpg

The PWM.
I always say the anker lc40 is unbeatable at 18 to 22 bucks , and I like the olight i5 that uses 1 aa.

DaveTheDude

Enlightened
My favorite 2021 budget light is a Ray-O-Vac. Walmart's price is US$9.95. The model number is ROVVMHAL8H.

The light is aluminum and has dimensions similar to a Surefire 6P, but is lighter weight, coming in at 4.7 ounces/132 grams. It's completely sealed, and contains an 18650 cell (approximately 2200 or 2400 mAh, ROV didn't reply to my inquiry as to the cell and emitter specifications). The emitter appears to be an XM-L or something similar; its perfectly centered. Smooth reflector. Beam angle is 15 degrees. Color temp is 5000K.

It comes with a USB-C charging cable. The charging port is sealed with a well-fitted silicone gasket. The light is operated with a single side button switch. Modes in order of operation are: High (320 lumens/ 6,000cd); Low (120 lumens/2,300cd); Strobe (approximately five flashes per second). The hotspot, corona, and spillbeam work well together.

The light has a bead-blasted natural aluminum finish. The bead-blast treatment yields enough texture to keep the light from slipping if your hand is wet. And did I mention it's priced at around $10?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
That Ray-O-Vac looks like a lot of light for the money. I might have to get one just for the fun of it.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Supporter
Astrolux Convoy Fireflies Lumentop Mateminco Rovyvon Sofirn Wuben Wurkkos etc, make appearances here at this forum.

Elzetta HDS Malkoff McGizmo Muyshondt Okluma Oveready Peak Zebralight etc, make appearances at the other location.

Good thing that we do not need to have a third location just for Acebeam Eagletac Fenix Imalent Nitecore Niwalker Olight Thrunite etc.

Well, anyway, Sofirn is the manufacturer of some Astrolux branded lights, Mateminco still some others.

Latest posts