Favorite budget light 2022

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's January 11th 2022 and if you can read this that means you are (probably) still here.

So far this year I have not acquired a new flashlight at all, much less a budget light.

If most used means favorite then a Husky 1x aaa light I bought in (iirc) 2020 would be it so far.

Let's see if a Convoy S2 derivative is one getting the most informal votes again this year.

sambob223

Newly Enlightened
It's January 11th 2022 and if you can read this that means you are (probably) still here.

So far this year I have not acquired a new flashlight at all, much less a budget light.

If most used means favorite then a Husky 1x aaa light I bought in (iirc) 2020 would be it so far.

Let's see if a Convoy S2 derivative is one getting the most informal votes again this year.
WOW...just the shear amount will power you must have 11 days ?🤣
Are you even aloud to be without adult supervision during the day😁

chip100t

Enlightened
I would have thought best budget light of 2022 would mean only lights that were new to market in 2022. But if you are allowed to not only include lights that came out before 2022 but further more lights you have owned before 2022, I'm going with sofirns sc31 pro.

I just love mine and it's my daily carry. Despite my constantly buying new lights trying to replace it with something far more expensive, surefire, malkoff, Fenix. As I would like to carry a "high end" flashlight.
But nothing I have bought comes close to meeting my requirements as the sc31 pro.

If only it was fully potted, not mass made in China and cost me £200 instead of £27 I would give it the love and respect it actually deserves.

It is the perfect light for me yet the light snob in me keeps me searching for something else.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the only light I bought this year was a 2AA 300 lumen 2 level Energizer Hard Case flashlight on clearance at Lowe's for $4.17. Had to replace the one I gave to my brother for work. Haven't had any trouble with the previous one. It's a great light for loaning out or having in the car for emergencies. Doesn't break or scratch up easily. High dims down automatically to prevent overheating. Takes cheap batteries and is low maintenance. I don't have to explain to someone how it works when I hand it to them. The optic gives a nice usable beam for most tasks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Chip, the previous "favorite" threads started out late in the year with that year models in mind. No penalty for not speaking of only said year though. As each year passes it seems these are a mix of posts for current year models or favorites ever. Hence starting it early in the year.

Convoy seemed to be the most popular but now that Sofirn is around that may change.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got four (2 green/2 red) ITP A3 EOS AAA lights for $10 each. Think Olight i3S. They're a bit dated, but they're very small and have decent spacing.

Two are going to a sister, who's Fenix AA LD01 bit the dust.

Chris

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Husky 1x aaa I mentioned in post #1 grew legs and walked away so it's now a choice of the Fenix E01v2 or a Maglite Soliaire. The black v2 when a few lumens will do and a silver 37 lumen Solitaire for when more light is better. Kinda strange how it seems to take two twisty lights to replace that one clicky light.

I bought extra Husky's and have a couple still new in package but I figure since that Fenix and Solitaire collect dust why not switch to those for a while.

I've also been choosing a Sophia version of Sofirn's C01 as a 2am nature call light over the usual numbers that put out less but enough light. Not sure why, just know that recently when feeling around my nightstand lately I'm skipping over the usual options and searching for the C01.

parang

Newly Enlightened
Nothing yet, but I can hear two distinct siren songs, one from a BLF LT1 and another from a LEP. Still feel like I need to research LEPs a bit more, but I kinda like the THOR1.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Angel eyes . 14500 battery tube, magnetic tail cap, 900 lumen Max. 0.1 lumen low with a osram emitter. All this for $6.45.

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_180634.jpg
    IMG_20220127_180634.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 333

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I talked a bit last year about a $15 Coleman number aimed at campers. It is available in different configurations such as 1xAA and other larger sizes but I like the 3xAAA since it's a jacket pocket size light. Plus if one prefers a 17650 will operate it. On the tailcap there is an opening that creates a circular shelf to press against the battery carrier but won't allow an 18mm cell to fit and since a 65mm cell protrudes from the body the 18mm cell has to fit into the hole. A 17mm does.
69A9FCC4-4944-4C10-8C80-E81147884399.jpeg

2E63DCB4-0147-4775-8FCC-5B00A920FDE2.jpeg

The reflector is DEEP so it ends up being an old school type thrower with 3 distinct beams in the wild. A small hot spot for spotting eyeballs in the distance, a medium bright beam and a gentle spill, all very similar to the TIR an Elzetta Bones produces.

0B92D9D1-9AE3-4B70-B0CA-346A3C2858EA.jpeg

860D59AC-DDEC-4822-A0AF-2343F8E670F1.jpeg

The head is removable with the LED remaining inside the body with another shoulder blocking it from blinding you when tail standing on a table. No need for a lamp shade.
9A0DE1AF-A175-4C62-BEE6-9C9E499DA71A.jpeg

Coleman touts the battery guard aspect of the slider switch. If you are familiar with a slider switch, most have a slight parasitic drain. So to know this one does not can bring peace of mind to those who like me prefer a good old fashioned slider switch.
B5F11800-595B-4961-8B8A-69818BCB2BA5.jpeg

Another nice feature (to me) is the intial set point of the slider is a nice low output, much like small incan 2C would produce back in the day. Yet slide it a bit further and it puts out a "high beam" that'll cause the eyes of a critter to glow at least a football field away, or provide plenty of light to set up camp, source fire wood etc.

Holding onto the body is easy due to four flat areas similar to the old school A2 aviator 4 flats. And at each end there are bumper guards.
91AA004D-BDB2-42E3-9C34-0AE1304DD0FA.jpeg

The light is not some technological marvel by any means, but it does a really nice job of bringing old school features into the new millenium. I cannot honestly say I have confidence the plastic slider switch will out live me like an old Kel-Lite or Bright Star, but it doesn't feel cheap and flimsy. If dropped down a mountain side the switch will likely not survive since it protrudes from the body enough end up making impact with a rocky terrain.

So two things I'd change are adding a point of wrist strap attachment without negating the tailstand option and making the flat area where the switch is deeper.

Versus a Streamlight Scorpion HL for size compare
14E5FD76-F219-47B8-84DE-1F0DD850F26F.jpeg

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Angel eyes . 14500 battery tube, magnetic tail cap, 900 lumen Max. 0.1 lumen low with a osram emitter. All this for $6.45.
That actually looks nice. Where did you get it? What is the brand and model number? A Google search on "Angel Eyes" brings up nothing.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Auto correct sucks. It's not angel eyes it's a shenray design and manufactured by reylight .

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_174704.jpg
    IMG_20220211_174704.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 230

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thank you! Not sure what's up with auto correct on here but it's going to get me in trouble one of these days.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem TG. I can't seem to find any info on the said light. Reylight has no info neither does shenray.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also still cannot find any information on that light. I went to Reylight's webpage and there was nothing there that resembled it, and nothing close to $6.00 to $7.00. Where did you purchase it and when?

Edit: I did a Google search for "Shenray Flashlights" and the first thing that came up was a link to the light on Amazon, but they show it as not available. It shows it as model R1 305-AL.

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also still cannot find any information on that light. I went to Reylight's webpage and there was nothing there that resembled it, and nothing close to $6.00 to $7.00. Where did you purchase it and when?

Edit: I did a Google search for "Shenray Flashlights" and the first thing that came up was a link to the light on Amazon, but they show it as not available. It shows it as model R1 305-AL.
Yes, that is the model number. I bought it at a local mom and pop outdoor shop

stephenk

Enlightened
Convoy still dominate the budget flashlight scene in 2022. The 95CRI GT-FC40 is appearing in more and more flashlights, and in 4 CCTs. Nichia B35AM and 519A emitters already in multiple lights or coming soon. 7 LED soda can light in the works. A new diffuser for the M3/M3-C range...

... and it's only mid-February!