Favorite budget light 2022

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Speaking of 'budget lights', I'm reminded of something that's occurred to me recently while reading stuff. I think I have a different take on 'car lights' than many 'round here. Many seem to relegate 'lesser' lights to car duty, but I want the most reliable / good quality thing I can afford to keep there. If / when I need a 'car light', it's likely to be in fairly critical circumstances. I keep my 'lesser' lights around for less critical things.

Edit: I forgot to add that many car lights live in a non-climate-controlled environment, which is also a big consideration given electrical contact oxidation, etc. They need to be made of 'the right stuff'. Then, there's also vibration...

I have thought about this too, and it's a good point. Not only do I want a vehicle backup light to be good and reliable, but if I need to use it as my edc light for whatever reason I want something that I would actually enjoy using and carrying. There's a fenix e20 v2 in my truck as the emergency light. It's a nice light in all respects, likely one of the most refined 2aa lights out there, but I have seen previous e20's get finnicky over time with the ones my dad used.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As much as I like that Coleman mentioned in post #12 this 2aa Defiant………
D8A0BE93-F8AF-45BB-9C02-ECD247DB85F1.jpeg

I have hanging by my back door is really starting to grow on me.
2 functions, on/off. 110 fairly throwey lumens for looking at objects 75 feet or so away while the beam is broad enough to provide light about 25 feet wide at 25 feet or so.
If I recall correct the Home Depot had them 2/$10 at black Friday one year. Maybe 2015 or 16.

Thing is, it has never flinched or flickered once. So to me it was well worth a Lincoln bill.

When I put the brakes on my flashlight binging in 019 or 20 I have discovered more and more I have some pretty cool flashlights around the house.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does used count? Bought two mini mag incans on a buy/sell site from someone for $5 and got them working again. Enjoying walking in the yard with a light from my childhood

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every morning I am up before dawn, and I rely on a Sofirn C01 to navigate around the house, and a datiLED Battery Drainer to light the far end of the room my computer is in. These simple, inexpensive lights do their job perfectly and are a pleasure to use.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
20220316_034603.jpg

I use a pelican 7620 at work because it can eat AAs , 18650s and CR123As. I got it at a gun show in the package new for 30 bucks. I consider that a budget light, cheaper than surefire.

krypton king

Newly Enlightened
Typically, any deal is my favorite. I have to show these off - I picked up 5 for $20. The seller must have bulked purchase old stock from Lowes. Decent light for lending to a neighbor or keeping in backpacks and drawers.

Attachments

• tempImageBSTR1M.png
    tempImageBSTR1M.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 212

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of 'budget lights', I'm reminded of something that's occurred to me recently while reading stuff. I think I have a different take on 'car lights' than many 'round here. Many seem to relegate 'lesser' lights to car duty, but I want the most reliable / good quality thing I can afford to keep there. If / when I need a 'car light', it's likely to be in fairly critical circumstances. I keep my 'lesser' lights around for less critical things.

Edit: I forgot to add that many car lights live in a non-climate-controlled environment, which is also a big consideration given electrical contact oxidation, etc. They need to be made of 'the right stuff'. Then, there's also vibration...
All good points!

I took some pictures a few weeks ago, of my vehicle flashlights, and then forgot what thread I took them for, it's no fun getting old.

Here are my vehicle light "kits", I keep a set in each of my Jeep Wranglers.

SF G3 with a Malkoff M60LF

- In pocket organizer -

SF G2 (yellow) w/ a Malkoff M61LL

Streamlight Scorpion

Victorinox Swiss Army Knife

Spare cells

Flashlights I can trust

Attachments

• 040F258F-69CB-410B-BE57-1133749F7FC6.jpeg
    040F258F-69CB-410B-BE57-1133749F7FC6.jpeg
    540.9 KB · Views: 173

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
All good points!

I took some pictures a few weeks ago, of my vehicle flashlights, and then forgot what thread I took them for, it's no fun getting old.

- In pocket organizer -

Streamlight Scorpion

Spare cells

Flashlights I can trust
I fell like the G2 is a budget light. Lord knows I got one as one of my first surefire lights and it cost me 35 dollars.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
All good points!

- In pocket organizer -

Streamlight Scorpion

Spare cells

Flashlights I can trust

Nice kit. A swiss army knife is also hard to beat.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I fell like the G2 is a budget light. Lord knows I got one as one of my first surefire lights and it cost me 35 dollars.
The G2 was conceived as exactly that, a budget SureFire meant to be acquired by the ordinary joe who wanted SureFire performance without the SureFire price.
My first SureFire was the $55 G2x Pro (320) and in my view it's one of the most user friendly flashlights ever made.

ledbetter

Enlightened
The knock off G2's from PRC on eBay are definitely budget. I got one under ten bucks delivered. Tossed led that came with it and put in Surefire bulb. The worst part of it is the tailcap which is noticeably smaller and less robust. Ok as a garage light but haven't really abused it and don't know if the plastic will hold up. I don't trust it but it is mechanical so not much can go wrong.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 was conceived as exactly that, a budget SureFire meant to be acquired by the ordinary joe who wanted SureFire performance without the SureFire price.
My first SureFire was the $55 G2x Pro (320) and in my view it's one of the most user friendly flashlights ever made.
Yeah, gotta love those 320s! I tried to carry my 600 lm 6px pro at work for a day or two when I had misplaced my forest green 320 for a couple of days, and it was way too bright for what I need at work. I would get blinded with flash back every time I shined it at something. I found my 320 lm G2X, and that 320 lms is perfect for what I need.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically, any deal is my favorite. I have to show these off - I picked up 5 for $20. The seller must have bulked purchase old stock from Lowes. Decent light for lending to a neighbor or keeping in backpacks and drawers.
Is the battery chamber long enough for an 18650 (or failing that, 18500)? I always check my cheap 3AAA lights for this. Sometimes the holder has contacts at one end so that doesn't work.

Dave

HazeElctrc

Newly Enlightened
I guess each budget light should be well under a certain price for the functionality. Like a spot style light might be budget under 100$ , and a pocket light would be much less under 40$.

I have used the olight i5 with an EBL AA cell for almost 1 year , it was free but still if you can get it for under 30$ i think its the best budget light I have used so far, nothing from wal mart back in the days before amazon or even the mag lights where better IMO , it has become my only light for around the house , back yard ,under the hood , EDC pocket , road trip lights. Its very diffused so it more like a lantern and coveres a wide and full area .

The only other light I like for budget was the anker lc40 , BUT its gone up to 30 bucks, if you can get it under 25 its a great deal and its more of a spot beam , so you can use it for a bike light or spot light up to about 30 to 50 yards, its great versatile light and can even be a bit of a tactical light for cqb situations. Its also solid can take hundreds of legit drops. Also its tuned very well compared to the thousands of lights on the markets , it doesn't over heat or try to push too much power to sell a max lumen rating , they did a good job. It could use tweaks like a place to put an anti roll rubber or a reversed clip for a hat , and charge and use function .

On the Diy tip, I built an great light set up IMO ( and by built I just ordered some lights and make a battery pack) out of some amazon light pods like these amazon light pod and mounted them with a metal go pro tripod 2 prong tip and a nut from home depot.

The light pods where about 36$ and I only have used 1 of them so say its cost is about 18 , the mount was about 25$ ( 11 for the actual aluminum handle bar clamp with the build in 3 prong go pro mount , Which I already had for my garmin head unit ) , and the battery packs where from jag35 at 8 bucks per for 14v 4ah packs that just needed to be wired up( they are sold out but its still super easy to source 9 cells from that site , he is even still selling some tenergy protected cells for 2 bucks a cell so you wouldnt even have to worry about a PCB/BMS ), oh and like 6 bucks for some connectors , but I already had those laying around for other projects so the actual cost of wire and connectors would be like 3$ .

Its a 2000 lumen light that draws like 1.5 amps estimated. Its been on my bike for about 7 months now and its so great . Im sure some of you guys could easily make a hand held version , there are a few styles of light pods on amazon that would make a powerful light for well under some of the prices that the name brands charge. My light will run off 3x 3.4v 18650s and you can easily increase the capacity with 3x3 or even 3x2x21700s at 5000mah for a 10ah light that would still be hand portable .

If you wanted a more hand portable version , I had an idea to put the battery pack in my back pack or make a belt clip and just run a rugged wire , maybe in one of those spring loaded spools that can extend in and out easily, then I could attach the light pod to a clip and clip it to my shoulder pad strap and have a shoulder mounted light thats easy to grab and point around , powered by a 10 or more AH pack secured in my pack as well as have a xt30 to quickly detach it . It could make a sick camping or hiking light ?!

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
hard to tell with some of the flashlights posted here what a budget light is...I will go with under $100 dollars.

So far my fav are the Olight baton / baton pro lights. On the whole I don't like flashlights that have a USB interface to keep the light charged. However, the tail cap on the new generation of baton lights seem to work well for me. I also don't care for magnets on my flashlights for EDC but it can be useful. Most of the time I use a real battery charger versus the tail cap recharging option. But in a pinch; I can keep a spare recharger in the truck for an emergency re-charge.

I would have said something nice to say about Convoy S2+ - but I am not sure if it meets my cap of $100. I placed an order online for 7 of the lights. So far I have received just one so that pushes the total cost above the $100 mark. If I get all of the lights I ordered I would consider that light to be the low cost leader.

I have tried the Convoy S2+ with 7135*4 that seems to be ok. Well; the low is a bit to low - but can be usable. The high seems to work fine; but the amount of temp it puts out is a bit too much for my taste. So the use of the high would be limited to only a few mins of time to prevent rapid discharge and heat build up.

Now if someone could find me a Convoy S2+ that takes 2 AA / rechargeable AA let me know. Ideal mode would be 50, 100, 150 in 3 modes. or even 33, 66, 100. The Convoy T4 flashlight cuts too many corners for me to consider it...the 18350 battery tube option might be a fun thing to try with the S2+ when I need to keep the size extra small.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I've become a little surprised by the toughness of the convoy s2+. The cyan one with nichia sw30 has had two hard falls on concrete. Both times I tried to catch it and ended up propelling it to the ground with even greater force. It still works just fine.

You can tell the aluminum is lower quality than a more expensive light based on how it dents more easily from the concrete, but it's only cosmetic damage it seems.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
....You can tell the aluminum is lower quality than a more expensive light based on how it dents more easily from the concrete, but it's only cosmetic damage it seems.

I know nothing about Convoy, but...

Does the manufacturer state / claim what Al alloy they're made from? Most of your lights are likely '6061 T6' (hopefully), but if unspecified, could be melted down scrap from old lawn chairs - or anything else:)