Favorite flavor of Ramen soup

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Well, this did come up in that other thread I started recently so I figured it deserves a thread of its own. Although I generally dread Ramen soup after having had it so many times, some of the newer flavors aren't bad. I especially like the Chicken Picante and Cajun Beef. A little sesame oil on any flavors is really a big improvement.

What are your personal favorites, and do you add anything to make it taste better?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
the ones that come in there own bowl are my fav just pull back top add water to mark nuke it and eat cause it also has vedgies in it and there only like 20 per each on sale

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the ones that come in their own bowl have much better noodles than the ones that come in the rectangular pouch. I just tried a new one, last night. It's made by Nissin. It's a chow mein bowl. It comes in a retangular bowl. You add water half way up the noodles, nuke it for 3 minutes, stir and flip (the noodles) and nuke it for a nother 3 minutes, then add the oil and flavor packet (vegies are added before nuking). It was surprisingly good. The chow mein actually tasted better than the chow mein my dad bought from a crappy (but convenient) chinese restaurant the day before. The bowls made by Nong Shim and Paldo are pretty good, too. I usually like the spicy ones. The ones I want to try are the ones my coworkers by at the Korean and Japanese markets. I can't remember the brands (they are unfamiliar to me), but they say the quality is much better. Some of those unknown (to me) brands have noodles that are a different color.

carrot

Flashaholic
Adding a little bit of curry makes Ramen tastier. I like the Indian stuff, but any kind of curry will work as long as you like it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll eat any of them. Usually I only use about 2/3 of the flavor pack, or it seems too salty. I suppose if I have a favorite it might be creamy chicken, with lots of pepper. Try a little salad dressing or even mustard to spice up the flavor.

Geoff

Santelmo

Enlightened
jtr1962 said:
Well, this did come up in that other thread I started . . . A little sesame oil on any flavors is really a big improvement.

What are your personal favorites, and do you add anything to make it taste better?

Hey, I just made some for myself and we have the EXACT same preference! A few drops makes it better. Generally, I don't have a preference although nothing beats good 'ol, standard chicken especially when you're sick.

My add ons?

1. Scramble an egg and mix to make it more hearty.
2. Toast some garlic and spread on top
3. Got onion leeks? The small Asian varieties have more flavor

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to report that I don't care for these at all. I have have a box of the solid rectangular packs. I tried two and have been considering dumping the remaining ones. The noodles are pretty bad -- terrible consistancy.

I do, however, appreciate the ideas posted here for improving flavor. I'll try some on the packs I have left. I would think that adding a little bit of dehydrated garlic chips, pices of chicken or sausage, and some curry powder would help a lot. Perhaps that will get me past the cheap pasta in the soup. :)

Paul

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i never had curry before that i recalli by lots a spices ill get curry maybe tonight is it called curry on pack? cause i dont recall seeing it but i know i smelt it before

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Spicy Shrimp flavor in the styrofoam cup. I boil some water in my teapot, add the hot water, wait 5-10 minutes, and its good to go. To supplement the 4 or 5 tiny little dehydrated shrimp they include I add a handful of small salad shrimp I get for about $2 for an 8 oz. bag. Adds more flavor and a bag of the shrimp lasts for 15-20 cups of Ramen noodles, only adding .10-.15 to the price.

-Keith

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
PaulW said:
Sorry to report that I don't care for these at all. I have have a box of the solid rectangular packs. I tried two and have been considering dumping the remaining ones. The noodles are pretty bad -- terrible consistancy.

I do, however, appreciate the ideas posted here for improving flavor. I'll try some on the packs I have left. I would think that adding a little bit of dehydrated garlic chips, pices of chicken or sausage, and some curry powder would help a lot. Perhaps that will get me past the cheap pasta in the soup. :)

Paul
I cook the noodles until they are mushy, and use less water then called for.
I also usually do two packages of noodles to one flavor pack.

I use the flavor pack, almost always chicken, for other things. It's cheaper arond here to buy a case(24) of them for $2.95 or so and toss the noodles then it is to buy an equivalent amount of chicken bouillon.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
i never had curry before that i recalli by lots a spices ill get curry maybe tonight is it called curry on pack? cause i dont recall seeing it but i know i smelt it before
It's called "curry powder" because it's used primarily in curry, an Indian dish. It contains a mix of 5 to 10 different Indian spices. There are many kinds of blends. They usually include coriander, fenugreek, chilis, asafoetida, cumin, turmeric, ginger, garlic, ginger, etc. If you're lucky enough to find more than one kind on the shelf, you can look at the list of ingredients and pick the one you think you'll like best. I have 5 or 6 kinds on my shelf.

Paul

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike Painter said:
. . . I use the flavor pack, almost always chicken, for other things. It's cheaper arond here to buy a case(24) of them for $2.95 or so and toss the noodles then it is to buy an equivalent amount of chicken bouillon.
Neat idea! I'm going to have to try that. Thanks Mike.

Paul

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
All the above...scramble an egg in it, a little sesame oil, a little chopped up leftover chicken, perhaps some crushed red pepper. We like to saute' up some finely chopped onion & carrots, sometimes mushrooms as well...make a little stir fry! Experiment with sauces (teriyaki, hoisen, soy...)

It's hard to mess up!

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
My favorite Ramen soup is "Zuppa Toscana" from the Olive Garden resuraunt chain, except hold the Ramen. What's even better is that they just know, and I don't even have to ask them to leave the Ramen out. :D

But seriously, those new Nissin bowls DO look GOOD. I haven't tried one yet, but a co-worker was having one in his cube for lunch and it smelled AWSOME. I thought it was take-out Chineese.

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
Find a Korean store, and get some of the various types of Korean Ramen,from mild to HOT!. While you are there, also pick up "Nong Shim" brand Chajang Myun. This is a noodle pack that cooks up similar to ramen (although you do not make a soup with it), and it is a tasty change from ramen.

CLHC

Flashaholic
S & S Saimin and Udon—Gotta have the kamaboko and inarizushi, because if not, what is that?

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
Favorite flavor of Ramen soup?

I say that's very very on-topic for The Café!

dcarch8 :)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ekk curry wasnt cheap i like the 50 cent spices .other then that slat mixture stuff called season all