Favorite maglite size

fuyume

Enlightened
It's the 2xAA Mini Mag-Lite for me. My first "good" flashlight, and the de rigeur accessory for stage crew the world over for decades.

I still have an incandescent hanging around the house somewhere, I think, but the Nite-Ize LED conversion with tailcap switch was a brilliant mod for the Mini Mag-Lite.

30 lumens with 25 hour runtime? Yes please.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
My favourite sizes are 2D and 2AA. There's something to be said about the versatility (*cough*whackstick*cough*) of 3D and up, but I like how the 2D melds into my hand. The 2AA is small and light without being easily lost.

Never had the chance of trying a C mag of any sort. C batteries never caught on where I live, we tend to go from AA to D.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
2C, either incan or Malkoff module. LOP reflector and a glass lens. 😁
Man, I forgot about the big head 2c Maglite bi-pin with an LOP, glass lens, 2x18500 lifepo's and 4 cell bulb.

For cheap thrills an ROP'd big head 2c. Said to put out as much as 1000 lumens……I dunno, but I do know it shuts off photocell lights from 100+ feet.
And in the modern world a 2 cell ML50 sized number called ML150LRS(x) is just about as bright as the ROP without the worry of poofing a really hard to find bulb.

Much respect for the incan minimag but for LED I prefer the triple a spectrum warm version.

FastTurtle

Newly Enlightened
My personal fav is the Single 3a Mag Solataire light I've had for about 2 decades. Change the battery regularly and it's been perfectly useful in many situations that a larger light would get in the way.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had the chance of trying a C mag of any sort. C batteries never caught on where I live, we tend to go from AA to D.

While C cell lights are my favorite form factor, I almost never use C cell alkalines. For anything that draws a half Amp or more,AA energizer L91 lithiums or AA eneloop pros in spacer will give better run time and they don't leak like alkalines do. If you need more runtime, there are 5,000 mAh NiMH's C cells or better yet a single 5,000 mAh protected 21700 in a adapter which will give more run time than 2 or even 3 NiMH C cells. In a 3 C incandescent light two protected 21700's run great with a 6 cell bulb.

Bluemondo

Newly Enlightened
The only torches I use are maglite I have owned a 6d for almost 30 years and had and lost a few 2aa lites In that time I got a 3d led about 5 years ago to keep by the front door my favourite has always been the 2aa I recently bought a 2c ml25 to replace my lost 2aa pro+ I loved that lite thankfully it was found in a friends car the ml25 is the torch I carry everywhere it fits in my pocket nicely and won't fall out unnoticed

Reactions: xxo

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
While C cell lights are my favorite form factor, I almost never use C cell alkalines. For anything that draws a half Amp or more,AA energizer L91 lithiums or AA eneloop pros in spacer will give better run time and they don't leak like alkalines do. If you need more runtime, there are 5,000 mAh NiMH's C cells or better yet a single 5,000 mAh protected 21700 in a adapter which will give more run time than 2 or even 3 NiMH C cells. In a 3 C incandescent light two protected 21700's run great with a 6 cell bulb.
I hear ya. In c cell lights like my ML50LX I'm using nihm AA in adaptors. If I had it sitting for a long time like in my car I'd use ultimate lithiums. I noticed with alkaline C cells, full brightness would only work on fresh cells. Thereafter, it wouldn't hit max output. With the nimh AA, it's always full brightness until they're dead.
With my full size 3C, I'm awaiting my 21700 I ordered so I'm using 18650s. They work well too. And put out an impressive amount of light with a tad customs 7218 or bulb.
I like the idea of a single 21700 cell in a 2C light but would be worried about the over voltage.
I ruined a 2AA minimag led with a 14500 and a spacer

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only torches I use are maglite I have owned a 6d for almost 30 years and had and lost a few 2aa lites In that time I got a 3d led about 5 years ago to keep by the front door my favourite has always been the 2aa I recently bought a 2c ml25 to replace my lost 2aa pro+ I loved that lite thankfully it was found in a friends car the ml25 is the torch I carry everywhere it fits in my pocket nicely and won't fall out unnoticed
The 2C ML25 is outstanding - I like it better than the 2AA Pro +.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of a single 21700 cell in a 2C light but would be worried about the over voltage.
I ruined a 2AA minimag led with a 14500 and a spacer

It is always a concern when running a higher Voltage cell but I have never had a problem with my dual mode 2C ML25 or ML50LX. The original single mode 2C ML25 will run on a single 1.2V cell + a dummy, while the others will not, so I am guessing it might have a lower Max Voltage too, so I don't recommend running a Li-ion cell in the old version. LiFEPo4 cells should be fine in any 2 cell LED and of course a Li-ion is perfect for 3 cell light. For a 2 cell incan, a 3 cell bulb should run fine on a single Li-ion as well.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may have to revisit the Incan minimag. It seems very popular. I always thought it was too dim to use outside but too bright to use inside at night so I haven't bothered with it

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
Oops. It would still be a 3c. I like the size, the looks and the feel of the whole package.
I would agree here too, 3C is a nice size.
Lends well to modding to LED and installing lithium cells too.

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
Not a fan of Maglites in general, but I did get a few Mini Mag incans when they first came out. They actually had a better beam tan the standard 4D Mags and Kel-Lites we originally carried, though they never replaced the big boys.

Recently I got an Amazon deal on 2D Mag LED lights that are pretty decent, much better than the old incan Maggies guys carried. While I was working, the Maglites and Kel-Lites were phased out by Dept. issued SL20s, a really nice if not terribly durable improvement.

The main advantage of all the above, and the reason I like the 2D Maggie is the ability to carrying under my left arm thereby keeping both hands free. That carry mode was utilized a lot, something I still do today.

If I came across a deal on 2C LED Mags, I might grab a couple. If it's possible to upgrade the alkaline Ds with some rechargeables, I'd consider it.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate C batteries, but the 2 C is my favorite size. Have an old purple incandescent with a teal EverLED lambertian bulb in it. Don't use it much, but it's comfy.

Just got a 3C incandescent I haven't tried. Thought about the 3C ML50LX but went for the 3D version this time. Wanted something heavy.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone who still doesn't have one, I can't recommend the ml25 more. I have the Incan 2C but apparently the led version is very good as well. This thing is so compact and comfy in the hand. Twist head like a minimag. But unlike the minimag, full focus is right as it turns on and floods as you continue. But there's no cam so if it really takes any turning at all to go from full spot to full flood.
And despite the head being half the size of a full size Maglite, I don't think you lose any throw.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm seriously considering getting a 3c ML25it. Problem is nowhere to get them except Amazon from the states. $40. Is a bit pricey. If I got the three cell I would probably leave that one stock as I feel the three cell ball is pretty decent. Maybe fit four sub c's in there