I'm pretty convinced I have found a bug/error - possibly
relating to the email/favorites related problems people
have been posting about.

I swear that up to about a week ago, when I clicked one
of the updated (flagged NEW) "Favorite threads" in
"My Home" I was sent to the first unread post since my
last visit in that thread.

But it doesn't work that way now (I think I noticed it
around the time of the server time set, a few days ago)

When I look at all the links to my Favorite threads they
have a PHPSESSID=#Post<number> at the end of the URL
(the <number> actually seems to be the number of the first
unread post.) This variable tells UBB to jump to that post.
So far so good...

But the problem is all the links to my Favorite threads
have one disturbing part of the url in common. They all
contain "partnumber=1" which is being turned into "fpart=1"
in the resulting pages url which tells the ubb forum to
show the first page of the thread.

So, what happens in reality when I click the link is that
UBB first goes to page 1 and then tries to jump to post
<number> on that page. If the thread has multiple pages UBB
fails to jump to the correct post since that post is not on
the first page.

To me it seems there is a bug/problem with the generation
or the viewing of the "Favorite threads" URLs (more
exactly the variables "fpart" and "partnumber".

Note! UBB jumps to the correct post just
fine if I manually change the url to the correct page number.

<font color="red">Real life example;</font>
The LionHeart thread was flagged as updated in my Favorite
threads tonight. The URL was this;
The LionHeart

and the resulting page after clicking on it had the address;

The LionHeart

Clicking on it of course sent me to the first page since
fpart=1 in the url. And since PHPSESSID=#Post648750 tells
UBB to jump to post 648750 (which in reality is on page 128)
it can't find it since page 1 is loaded.

If I manually enter the following URL;

The LionHeart

where I have changed fpart=1 to fpart=128, telling UBB the
correct page where the post is, UBB shows page 128 and jumps
just fine to post 648750.

Note! You need to view the forum in flat mode with the
default display settings of 10 posts per page for the last
url to work for you the way it does for me. Otherwise the
post I use in the example is on a different page number for you.

This description might be a bit technical, and English is
not my native tongue, but I hope you understand what I mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Just honk if something is unclear.

nite nite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Go to your settings for email notifications and make sure you choose the option for "plain text"... NOT for html.

korpx

Newly Enlightened
Yep, it is set to plain text. But that only affects the email notification anyway doesn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The main issue is the incorrect links under "My Home"->"Favorite threads".

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good find and nice investigation. Unfortuantely, I have no idea how to even begin going about fixing this, or even knowing if it is fixable.

korpx

Newly Enlightened
I don't think I can help more than this without seeing the actual code either. Maybe I can get the trial version of UBB threads and have a look at it.

Is there a possibility you have hacked some feature into the "Favorite threads" section and accidently broke the url link generation? A static "partnumber=1" somewhere where it really is supposed to query the database and get the page number where the first of the unread posts are, "partnumber=<page>". Theoretically at least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

korpx

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... I did a little searching in the UBB.threads community support and found this.

This post mentions the same- or very similar problem in version 6.4.2 of UBB.threads. Do you think this bug might exist in the version you use here at CPF as well (6.4.1)?

6.4.2: Error in showflat and showthreaded

jook

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this is a related problem, but my favorite threads' notification hasn't been working for several weeks. Maybe it has something to do with cookies or Mozilla Firefox?

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Couple of things...

First... the issue that you found in reference to the error in showflat and showthreaded is a different issue than the one you are having. Not the same thing.

Second... your "note" above... "Note! You need to view the forum in flat mode with the
post I use in the example is on a different page number for you."

You've just hit on why you are having the problem and explained also why this is NOT a bug in the software. Everyone has different settings. And I'm guessing that this issue started happening to you when you kicked over to the second or third page in the threads you had marked as favorites? Perhaps if you reset the favorite when it goes to another page according to your settings?

I just tested out the favorites function and it worked just fine for me... going right to the first new post in the thread I had marked. I'll mark a couple more and test it more... but as I'm not having this problem so far, I'm guessing that it's what I stated above. FWIW, I have my settings for 30 posts per page.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to get my favs to open on the last page, too. It worked for me once on a multi-page thread on CPFU -- but I have no idea how I did it.

Per Sasha's post I've set 30 posts per page. I dumped a fav and went to the last page of the thread and reset it. When I refreshed my favs and clicked on it, it still went to the first post on the first page.

I think I'll log out and back in, now that I've changed my settings and see if that changes anything. It's nice to read what others have tried -- whether they had success or not.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty small deal.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't found the secret handshake yet. I started a thread back in June but it didn't go anywhere.

Force favorite thread to last page?

Every now and again I think of something new to try but I've pretty much run through everything I can think of. Sometimes when I see something new on my fav page, if not much time has past I go to 'Latest Threads', and use that link instead if it's a multi-page thread.

Like Sasha said, it's probably a settings thing. That seems to make the most sense.

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Guys... seriously... I've been testing this out all evening... and I have not experienced what you are saying. When I go to "My Home" and click on the thread listed under my favorites... the one that has the "New" symbol next to it, I go right to the first new post in the thread that I haven't read... without fail... not even once... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

korpx

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Couple of things...

First... the issue that you found in reference to the error in showflat and showthreaded is a different issue than the one you are having. Not the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. I didn't read up on that problem since it doesn't affect me personally.

[ QUOTE ]
Second... your "note" above... "Note! You need to view the forum in flat mode with the
post I use in the example is on a different page number for you."

You've just hit on why you are having the problem and explained also why this is NOT a bug in the software. Everyone has different settings. And I'm guessing that this issue started happening to you when you kicked over to the second or third page in the threads you had marked as favorites? Perhaps if you reset the favorite when it goes to another page according to your settings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I didn't explain things properly. The 10 posts per page setting has to be set for my example links in the bug report to work. It doesn't have to be set for the bug to show up. It's just an additional instruction to help people who want to follow my bug description to the letter.

[ QUOTE ]
I just tested out the favorites function and it worked just fine for me... going right to the first new post in the thread I had marked. I'll mark a couple more and test it more... but as I'm not having this problem so far, I'm guessing that it's what I stated above. FWIW, I have my settings for 30 posts per page.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try to experiment more with the problem and see if I can get it working again then but if changes to the post per page setting breaks the favourites system it is a bug in UBB Threads. Not a dead serious one I admit, but still.

Maybe clearing my list of favourites and adding them again will fix things. It doesn't fix the bug itself, but at least it fixes the symptoms for me and some other people.

On a side note; I set my posts per page to 10 for the bug report since that is what UBB Threads say is the default setting.
"Total posts to show on one page when viewing a post in flat mode (default is 10)"

just trying to help

peace! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Donald

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure if this is exactly related, but this thread is close.

I would just settle from a link that takes me to the thread. It seems I am getting text notifications instead of html. In other words I cannot click on the link. I do have email notifications set to html.

Is this a known / new / or just my problem?

Thanks for any help!

Latest posts