FCW/SM/GT#15 - A Flashaholic Get Together in NJ - October 4th,5th,6th.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the little tower in the video is open? Be a great place to set up tripods for beamshots for the big throwers. :thumbsup:

Hi Sandy - I went by Spruce Run this weekend to take a look, and it appears that access to the upper level of that tower is restricted to Park Employees. However, FYI... the bottom level contains very clean bathrooms for public use.

If you are looking for a great area to do long distance beam shots / thrower comparisons, there are an abundance of locations to do so. Right there at the tower there is another structure with a raised front porch area that has unobstructed views clear across the lake with a shoreline of tall trees as a backdrop for the beams to land on. I'm not sure how far it is, but it's pretty far, and should prove to provide a good area for the task.

Additionally, there are a dozen or more great vantage points around the park with clear views across the lake, (some right within our camping area), and some of the vantage points near the beach area have some water towers and cell towers in the distance that should prove to provide great targets for the super thrower lights!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Change o' plans. I reserved site #48 from the 4th - 6th!!

Only problem is I won't be arriving until Saturday the 5th.

Awesome - great to have you overnight this time! Bring more lights for sale... you know I'm always good to buy something I don't need, at a price I cant refuse. LOL

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Change o' plans. I reserved site #48 from the 4th - 6th!!

Only problem is I won't be arriving until Saturday the 5th.

And by #48 I actually meant #40.......which has been changed to #59!

Awesome - great to have you overnight this time! Bring more lights for sale... you know I'm always good to buy something I don't need, at a price I cant refuse. LOL

I got you. I'll still probably end up with more stuff when I leave than what I got there with!

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
On another note, If anyone has anything from Olight that they were thinking of getting shoot me a note for a price . I can place an order and bring it with me for trip.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
And by #48 I actually meant #40.......which has been changed to #59!

I got you. I'll still probably end up with more stuff when I leave than what I got there with!

Great choice on the spot change, that spot will get you closer to the action! :twothumbs

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting closer, getting cooler out, getting ready for FCW/SM/GT#15!!! :party:

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping I could make this trip. But I'm going to have to cancel. Family stuff just pushed into my weekend. Sorry, gents. I really wanted to catch up with you guys. It's been a long time since I ripped the bumper off my truck.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping I could make this trip. But I'm going to have to cancel. Family stuff just pushed into my weekend. Sorry, gents. I really wanted to catch up with you guys. It's been a long time since I ripped the bumper off my truck.

Jimmy - sorry to hear you can't make it. I'll keep you posted for future events. --Tim

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sandy - I went by Spruce Run this weekend to take a look, and it appears that access to the upper level of that tower is restricted to Park Employees. However, FYI... the bottom level contains very clean bathrooms for public use.

If you are looking for a great area to do long distance beam shots / thrower comparisons, there are an abundance of locations to do so. Right there at the tower there is another structure with a raised front porch area that has unobstructed views clear across the lake with a shoreline of tall trees as a backdrop for the beams to land on. I'm not sure how far it is, but it's pretty far, and should prove to provide a good area for the task.

Additionally, there are a dozen or more great vantage points around the park with clear views across the lake, (some right within our camping area), and some of the vantage points near the beach area have some water towers and cell towers in the distance that should prove to provide great targets for the super thrower lights!

Thanks for taking the time and detailed response Tim. Looks like everything is shaping up nicely.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I won't be able to get there Friday as I can't get out of work Saturday morning, but have arranged to leave early. Should arrive mid to late afternoon Saturday, staying overnight.

Due to other factors as well I'll be travelling a lot lighter than expected, so unfortunately I have to skip the chili and wacky cooking gear this time.

Pared down plans notwithstanding, I'm very much looking forward to this and will be glad to see ya'll!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for taking the time and detailed response Tim. Looks like everything is shaping up nicely.

My pleasure. :) Yes it looks like we are going to have a great turnout, and the weather looks great too! Dry with no rain predicted, and even low humidity! It looks like it will be a little on the cooler side, which makes it all that much better to enjoy a good fire.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I won't be able to get there Friday as I can't get out of work Saturday morning, but have arranged to leave early. Should arrive mid to late afternoon Saturday, staying overnight.

Due to other factors as well I'll be travelling a lot lighter than expected, so unfortunately I have to skip the chili and wacky cooking gear this time.

Pared down plans notwithstanding, I'm very much looking forward to this and will be glad to see ya'll!

Bummer about the chili, but glad to hear you can still make it, even if it is for a slightly reduced time frame.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of fire, how's the logs-on-the-ground situation there? For example, there was so much wood laying around Hickory Run, we could've burned for another day or two without having to venture outside a 100' radius.

I'm bringing my mini log splitter (love that thing!), but my saw is somewhat dull. Anyone have a nice, sharp saw?

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of fire, how's the logs-on-the-ground situation there? For example, there was so much wood laying around Hickory Run, we could've burned for another day or two without having to venture outside a 100' radius.

I'm bringing my mini log splitter (love that thing!), but my saw is somewhat dull. Anyone have a nice, sharp saw?

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I had planned on mentioning something about firewood. So to answer your question, this area is NOT like Hickory Run at all in terms of woodsy areas with wood laying all over the place. We are going to need to bring or buy wood for sure! I know every state park has rules and precautions about bringing outside wood in, but we already have the spotted lantern bug and other bad bugs in the area already. So I think we should all plan on bringing as much fire wood as possible. The weather forecast is showing dry (yea!) but cool/colder at night temps.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh crap... looks like we won't be needing any splitters, saws, or firewood. I started searching for firewood sales near the park, and came across the following (Spruce Run is in division A):

https://www.njportal.com/DEP/NJOutdoors/Park/Details?locationId=12

Stage 2 Fire Ban Effective Monday, September 30
The New Jersey Forest Fire Service has announced Stage 2 Fire Restrictions for all state parks and forests which fall under the Forest Fire Service's Division A, beginning Monday, September 30.
All campfires, including those in fire rings, will be PROHIBITED due to high fire danger.
Fires in elevated charcoal or gas grills will continue to be permitted ONLY if elevated 1ft above the ground and surrounded by at least a 10ft radius clearance to mineral soil.
For additional questions, please contact the park office for the park you plan on visiting.

Good going, Jersey. No camp fire while camping, even in a state provided ring, because it's a little dry out.

No dogs, of course no alcohol, no smoking or vaping unless you're sitting in your freakin' car (as of last January), no lighting farts unless your *** is one foot off the ground in the middle of a parking lot, etc, etc. Perhaps the rangers will have decibel meters to make sure we're not talking too loud. What a fun state!

At least we can all huddle together for body warmth around a LED lantern while I softly strum "Born To Be Wild" on acoustic guitar, unless that's been outlawed as well.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries...yet. I'm all over this and closely monitoring the situation. I've already spoken with Spruce Run, and they say the fire ban is likely to be lifted before we get there, especially if it rains before we get there. I'll post any updates as soon as I get them. --Tim

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Tim. Sounds like you're definitely on it! I'm watching weather forecasts for the area as well, and will keep looking into buying wood nearby.

Latest posts