Fenix Bikelight BC30 - Neutral White,1800lm

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran into another issue. I simply could not get my batteries out of the holder without using something to pry them, they were in the holder so tight. And this was with EagleTac 18650s, considered to be short 18650s. I finally happened to turn the battery holder over and noticed the 2 gaps that are there for pushing the batteries out.

So to summarize what I ran into...

1. Plug doesn't stay in, or remote switch doesn't work correctly,
-- Make sure to push it in all the way. Mine takes more force for this than I am used to for this type of plug
2. Light doesn't change modes when the mode switch is pressed
-- press and release the mode switch quickly, voila,
3. Hard to remove batteries,
-- Turn the battery holder over and push the batteries out, easy peasy

@spankone - love your other reviews and am looking forward to your next one!

This is looking like a pretty sweet light. I like that theoretically, or practically for that matter, you could take it off and use it like a normal flashlight.

It's a bike light, but could very easily be a multi-use light as well. Very cool. Can you still access the highest turbo without the cable switch? Just by pressing down the top button?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see some real life beamshots of this light.

I'm an urban bike commuter, using a bike path for most of my ride, and I hate it when riders coming towards me have these incredibly bright lights that blind me. So, now that I'm looking to upgrade my bike light, I'd prefer something with a shaped beam, one that doesn't have hotspots, shows the path directly in front of the bike as well as at a distance, and has a distinct upper horizontal cutoff so that I don't blind folks that are coming towards me.

I like a lot of the features of this light, although I'm not sure about the two 18650 cells in series, and the description on the Fenix website indicates that this light has a beam similar to what I'm looking for, but I'd much rather see some real world examples before I commit.

spankone

Enlightened
Pmsl. I'm glad you've figured the light out. More reviews will be up in the next few weeks. ;)

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
This is looking like a pretty sweet light. I like that theoretically, or practically for that matter, you could take it off and use it like a normal flashlight.

It's a bike light, but could very easily be a multi-use light as well. Very cool. Can you still access the highest turbo without the cable switch? Just by pressing down the top button?

Unfortunately no, the remote switch seems to be the only way to get the instant burst.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might get this light for the dual-beam capability if the beam shape turns out to be good. I really wish it had a much better UI though, Fenix seems stuck on UI development. A simple click of the remote switch to step up a level, double-click to step down a level, and press-hold for instant burst seems dead simple, dead obvious, and 1000 times better. This could have been a top bike light with the right UI.

spankone

Enlightened
The idea of the remote switch is so you can quickly flash on coming traffic as a warning. So in a panic you don't want it switching modes and doing random thing. The original lights I tested aloud you to switch modes via the remote and it wasn't that slick.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Update:

I noticed that I could not find information any ware on what battery's were used to test runtimes, I assumed it would be 3400, but I was wrong! I asked on Facebook and they told me they used 2600 Fenix 18650 like they do for most of there tests.

So it looks like the already good runtimes can be expected to be improved upon, environmental condition's considered of course.

Would love to see runtime tests on this at 3400 - I will let you guys know what mine are but mine will have a slight current bump so won't be a fair repensetaion, although with this news I'm hoping I'll still improve or match the 2600 runtime stats. Yippi!

Regards the plug issue, it seems it falls out easy even when pushed in properly, fenix said they will investigate and get back to me. I did say it might just be a one off or a few select lights but we shall see.

jeebus

Newly Enlightened
This is an amazing looking light for a bike. I love the form-factor, the runtime, and the 100,200,500,1200 light outputs are pretty good choices for most use cases too. On an ordinary flashlight I consider 400 to be bordering on anti-social riding, but if this has the light aimed down 500 is probably alright. I have a couple questions though:

1. Is there any side-visibility to this light? Some bike lights are designed with a clear spot or a cut-out on the side to make some "be seen" light spill out to the sides. This doesn't appear to have that feature, but can anybody who's seen it in person comment on this?

2. how easy is it to switch from one bike to another? I know it has a quick-release where the light detaches from the base, but I'm guessing the base is more semi-permanently attached to the bike. The pictures make it look like you'd have to unscrew a bolt to get the base off. So what I'm wondering then is this: has anyone heard of a way to buy 2-3 extra bases? I'd like to put one on each bike and just move the light to whichever I wanted to ride.

IgglePiggle

Newly Enlightened
2. how easy is it to switch from one bike to another? I know it has a quick-release where the light detaches from the base, but I'm guessing the base is more semi-permanently attached to the bike. The pictures make it look like you'd have to unscrew a bolt to get the base off. So what I'm wondering then is this: has anyone heard of a way to buy 2-3 extra bases? I'd like to put one on each bike and just move the light to whichever I wanted to ride.

Same, I'm going to have to buy another base. I wish they used the O-ring attachment but I'm guessing the weight of the light would cause the beam to shift on bumpy paths.

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
-- snip --
1. Is there any side-visibility to this light? Some bike lights are designed with a clear spot or a cut-out on the side to make some "be seen" light spill out to the sides. This doesn't appear to have that feature, but can anybody who's seen it in person comment on this?
-- /snip --
There isn't any clear spot or side cut-out per se. But at night from the side there is a lot of visibility just from the light coming out the front. Side spot is better in a taillight with red, but that's just IMO.

Last edited:

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
+1 Mine is on way from US - All giddy and cant wait, going to have tyo order extra mounts though as while "quick release" wich is great for going to shop's ect, the actual mount is stuck to the bike, so need one on each bike, but IMO this is a good thing as I HATE oring mounts on big lights, they just fail and are meh, on small lightwaight lights they are fine, just means a bit extra cost is all.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Mine has arrived!

I like the beam agains the wall and it looks pure white no tints that I can see in daylight at least, cells on charge cant wait to try it out in the dark!

Regard the cable issue, Its a non issue but is something that fenix can hopefully improve in later renditions or products.

- Great idea, and mine is on the loose side, and will fall out if not put in properly, but if you push it in slowly you will here a soft quite click (You have to listen for it though but it is there) and it wont fall out at all, I mean if you wiggle it it will but pulling straight down it take enough force that I think it will be secure, so not perfect but not a product breaker, "should" stay in, I hope!

BUT BUT BUT: In the instruction manual it mentions a step down from turbo with "intelligent circuit's" I dont know if this is temp or time based but they dont give a time for step down, I was hopeing to run it for the full life if need on turbo but it looks like it will step down, it should handle the heat with being cooled on the bike by air but lets hope the step down is not really short and lasts a good time, I dont know why this is not listed on the box or when you buy look on there site as it would have been nice to know but wont effect my use of it as I wont be useing turbo all the time anyway, I just hope its temp based...or got a long time... Any Idea's?

P.s its REALLY light! (Without battery's but still light with batterys in, so mounting should be no issues!

I will post beam shots later, but will only be of amuture quality on a point and shoot so please wait for actual rewives as mine may not be acuret.

Last edited:

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Edit: Tint's are great real world, not icy cold but not warm either, you wont complain when it is in use, But if you want to be picky when shone on a white wall (I have one smooth while wall in my room) on lower modes I can describe the hotspot as Greenish and the Crona/Flood as Purpleish but its not horrffic but it is there, but this is a white wall and any colour will show up, Shine it on a coloured wall and you cant tell at all (Unlike some lights that have a blatant tint) On high mode this is less pronucned but visble still, on the full 1800 lumens it is almost gone, very nice and even colour, overall I would describe the tint as Very good but not excellent but for a factoy LED not a hand picked LED it is fantsatic, and fine in the real world, still waiting for it to get sark for further testing. The cut off is very usefull and it puts light down almost directly under it!!!! Not often do you see that! Very impressed.

IgglePiggle

Newly Enlightened
Edit: Tint's are great real world, not icy cold but not warm either, you wont complain when it is in use, But if you want to be picky when shone on a white wall (I have one smooth while wall in my room) on lower modes I can describe the hotspot as Greenish and the Crona/Flood as Purpleish but its not horrffic but it is there, but this is a white wall and any colour will show up, Shine it on a coloured wall and you cant tell at all (Unlike some lights that have a blatant tint) On high mode this is less pronucned but visble still, on the full 1800 lumens it is almost gone, very nice and even colour, overall I would describe the tint as Very good but not excellent but for a factoy LED not a hand picked LED it is fantsatic, and fine in the real world, still waiting for it to get sark for further testing. The cut off is very usefull and it puts light down almost directly under it!!!! Not often do you see that! Very impressed.

I agree, I have the same purplish corona as well against a white wall but it is not noticeable on the street. In real world use the neutral white is awesome. I love how well the flood and throw is controlled.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Yes I aggre, it is still a flood light but yet it reaches pretty far! Nice smooth beam no hot spots as such, I like how it lights up the sides and right under it not many lights do that, it just seems very natural with lack of hot spots and the very large flood that gets everywhere.

I find because it is floody it is hard to tell the difference much between high turbo and boost in urban areas like towns, medium is often enough and Hugh when there is no street lamps, if you take it to a Forrest I'd imagine you'd notice the higher modes more, you certainly notice them indoors very well spaced, 500 lumens in this beam shape is amole and great runtimes! If going off road whack it up to 1200 still plenty of runtime with a spare set of cells.

It took me a while to work the mount out I discovers it dose rotate I thought it was solid! I was sitting trying to work it out and then I knocked it on the bike and it works fine.

The manual states a step down but I need to test to see how long this is, as it only got warm on high at slow speeds so with turbo and a moderate pace I don't think heat would even be an issue, if anyone knows about it please do tell, read your manual and you will see it under notes.

Can't wait to take it off road, mount seems secure, you have to out it together before screwing it up, I did not know this and was wondering why it was slipping, my fialt though, when done properly very secure!