Fenix Bikelight BC30 - Neutral White,1800lm

bxstylez

Enlightened
I added a piece of rubber that clamps to the handlebar and it's rock solid .... doesn't rotate or knock down

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Yes I do that oftten, you just need correct "inserts" I think the two big ones for 22-25 and the the one small or two small for LARGE mtb bars. You just have to hold it close togeather so the wholes touch then screw it up, a bit tricky but then rock solid as said, I was not doing that before so it just moved. Pretty good mount actually, very well designed just need's strong fingers or maby a pair of plyers to get it correct. Its great as a camping light to as the beam is wonderfull and its easy to hold! VERY good heat management and thats with mine with a small current bump! I see fenix actually has two independent torches in one but with reflectors simular to this now for handheld use! Looks interesting! I CANT GET SPARE MOUNTS IN EUROPE OR UK FOR LOVE NOR MONEY THOUGH!!! Only in US or china but I am told they are coming in about two week's, I bloody hope so as I need them desperately.!

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the latest video - "Followup on the testing of the..."

Unfortunately I have the same issue that that this shows. The other night the light flickered to a different setting as I went over a rough section of road. Thinking I hadn't pushed that plug in far enough, I reached down (light is installed below my main handlebar on an accessory bar) and while trying to push I rotated it a bit. This caused all kinds of weirdness as it rotated; burst mode, cutting out etc.. and then it came out with no 'pulling' at all. I think I'll try living with this (tape?) as otherwise I like this light. Hopefully this can be addressed in future production runs.

jeebus

Newly Enlightened
If that second video is true that the cable just flops out even when pressed in firmly that's a pretty silly design.

I'm interested to hear more about the issues on the bumps. Was it the burst mode being turned on-off-on-off over the bumps or was it mode switching between the 4 main brightness modes? How prevalent was that problem? I know when using flashlights with the traditional fenix "soft press to change modes" interface it's often possible to get them to cycle between modes by banging and shaking the flashlight around. That's something a bike-light really needs to be better at I think.

I hadn't given too much thought to the BC30R with its built-in batteries, but I wonder if its batteries might be more securely held and thus not have the mode-switching-on-bumps issue.

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
^^ Just got home and played with it some more. The plug does come out too easily for me, but only when it is rotated as is in that video. It takes a firm push to get it all the way in, and if pulling out with no rotation the effort is similar. But with any twisting that plug just doesn't stay in well - I'm not sure that it falls out as easily for me though as in the video.

I know what you mean about the bump thing, but I don't think that is what happened to me. Just before it happened I was positioning the light a little as I was pedaling, and that probably caused some rotation of that plug which loosened it just before the bumps - it didn't seem like a battery out-of-contact/back-in-contact thing. I'll be doing some more street night rides this weekend and I'll update more. I still really like this light... no buyers remorse at all, but that plug/connector is one thing that could be improved IMO.

Last edited:

jeebus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, lots of good info. I'll be happy to see more thoughts after you get a few more rides in.

Also how do you like the 200 lumen flash? That seems like a well-chosen output too. It seems like most lights I've seen before have their flashing modes flash at max brightness. A 200 lumen flash seems more sensible. I'm not sure how often I'd use it, but maybe on well lit roads where I just want a be-seen light.

IgglePiggle

Newly Enlightened
I added a piece of rubber that clamps to the handlebar and it's rock solid .... doesn't rotate or knock down

My bike didn't require either of the 2 extra rubber shims that shipped with the BC30 to attach to the handlebar. Once tightened it had sufficient grip. I really like the mount, now where to find another one for my other bike.

IgglePiggle

Newly Enlightened
I've spent a few hours both off-road and on paved trails and I'm loving this light. It doesn't seem as bright as my other 800 lumen cool white lights but once my eyes adjust it's fine. I love neutral white and how much better contrast I get, I can't go back to cool white. The coverage is amazing. Getting lots of compliments from other riders on how well the path is evenly illuminated. The ability to quickly trigger 1800 lumens is more useful than a bell at night.

My remote switch plug snaps in pretty tight. The only way it is coming out is if I turn the plug and give it a light tug. It almost seems like it is designed to loosen and come out by turning the plug. In the off-road riding I've done I haven't been able to twist the plug enough for it to fall out, definitely remained snug for me the entire ride. The cable is very light and unless my hand were to hit it repeatedly it's not coming out. I don't think I'll need to use tape to secure the connection. I can see how others could experience the plug coming loose if they're riding really fast and hard and the bike is constantly vibrating but maybe I've got a better copy as I'm definitely not experiencing what others have found in the posted video. I don't think of this as a major design flaw but it could be improved for those that do a lot of bumpy downhill riding.

IgglePiggle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, lots of good info. I'll be happy to see more thoughts after you get a few more rides in.

Also how do you like the 200 lumen flash? That seems like a well-chosen output too. It seems like most lights I've seen before have their flashing modes flash at max brightness. A 200 lumen flash seems more sensible. I'm not sure how often I'd use it, but maybe on well lit roads where I just want a be-seen light.

I love the flash mode but don't use it too much. Because the tint is neutral white it's not as glaring as a cool white in the dark. I've had lights that flash at higher lumens and I find it distracts oncoming riders. 200 is a good setting, flash is really to be seen - I don't see the point in ultra bright flashing lights on paved roads.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
I've spent a few hours both off-road and on paved trails and I'm loving this light. It doesn't seem as bright as my other 800 lumen cool white lights but once my eyes adjust it's fine. I love neutral white and how much better contrast I get, I can't go back to cool white. The coverage is amazing. Getting lots of compliments from other riders on how well the path is evenly illuminated. The ability to quickly trigger 1800 lumens is more useful than a bell at night.

My remote switch plug snaps in pretty tight. The only way it is coming out is if I turn the plug and give it a light tug. It almost seems like it is designed to loosen and come out by turning the plug. In the off-road riding I've done I haven't been able to twist the plug enough for it to fall out, definitely remained snug for me the entire ride. The cable is very light and unless my hand were to hit it repeatedly it's not coming out. I don't think I'll need to use tape to secure the connection. I can see how others could experience the plug coming loose if they're riding really fast and hard and the bike is constantly vibrating but maybe I've got a better copy as I'm definitely not experiencing what others have found in the posted video. I don't think of this as a major design flaw but it could be improved for those that do a lot of bumpy downhill riding.

This is my experience in use the plug is rock solid as its not twisting, it is firmly in and requires a a fair amount of pressure to pull it straight out but if you twist it with no pulling eventually if falls out SO IT SEEMS LOOSE BUT WHEN RIDEING IS NOT AN ISSUE.

I have not had it fall out when ridding once properly inserted.

PLEASE GUYS - 5-20ish lumens flashing is OK but if ridding at night a 200 lumen flasher is dangours, cars will be blinded and it is very very annoying, and you will not be viable when it is in the off stage of a flash.

DO USE IT - during the day as it is great for that!!!! But at night your better with a it on constant and properly aimed and then just run a LOW power flasher to grab attention.

P/s IT IS A GOOD IDEA to use a flasher at night of low power only as a steady constant light dose not attract as much attention, however you can't judge a cyclist distance or direction from a flashing light so this is yet another dangour and you should run a both a flashing and a steady light if you have a flashing one on at night.

I speack from lots of experience ridding in a club and being in a car around cyclist observing this.

Just freidnly advise.

This can also be applied to read lights - but flashers are not so Bad on there own but I do like to also have a steady light on, I love my USE TraceR due to this as it flashes a bright red but remains constantly lit at a lower level also.

PPS

FENIX IF READING THIS SHIP SOME DARN MOUNTS TO THE EUROPE / UK ALREADY DARN IT!!!!!! ALB-10.

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Does this bikelight has in reality real 1800 lumens, and is it really brighter than the previous BT20.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Fenix are not like Chinese eBay sellers normally they esistamt4e there lumens correctly or they under rate them!

It dosent look super bright in an urban setting due to the sheer amount of flood and beam shape but in a Forrest or against a wall the modes are very bright and well spaces and once out in the sticks there is a ton of light. it is easy to just ride as it seems very natural with no host spots and no wash out, so it may seem a bit dimer than a regular torch of same power due to this, but it is amazing as a bike light you wont be left needing more light unless your lumen mad or doing some pro level off road mtb action.

Its also onkly 1200 on a constant mode, the 1800 is a burst pressure activated mode only. - Great for grabbing the attention of that pleb who is just about to pull out in front of you without looking!!

HAS ANYONE RUN INTO A STEP DOWN DUE TO HEAT ON HIGH MODE YET? (Not voltage related step downs which I know do happen near the end of the pack but have yet to test to see if they do this half way or wait until right at the end of the pack.)

Did I mention how nice the smooth neutral white is without hot spots or over illminatuin / lux such as white wash!

Comeing from a magic shine this is simply stunning! I'll stop being a fanboy now....but it is that good!

spankone

Enlightened
Good advice cyclingsalmon I totally agree about the plug it's fine and I've not had mine come lose.

And what you say the beam is spot on. I think it's great. The beam is so much better than the bt20 and btr20.

I could see fenix converting this to a head lamp or fitting optics in the next version of the BT20 in the future.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Check it 10 secs ago, still in stock.

A bit offtopic, how is your Olight SR52vn, with 200/250 Kcd?

How much Kcd you measured, and how much more intense is it in comparison with your Fenix TK61?

Do you have photo,s of this /your light, the SR52?

Have you something posted here on the forum?

Im very curious. And how far this SR52 can reach.