Fenix E0, anyone else disappointed

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
the E0 is what it is... a LONG lasting heavy duty light... its going to last a LOT longer than the unregulated photon... brightness is not always BETTER when it comes to a keychain light anyways

well there's far cheaper ways of getting a dim keychain light if that's what you're shooting for.
You've got alot less aluminum than a AA sized MagLED that's only 4 bucks more and an underdriven nichia LED that everyone from Gerber to Streamlight uses in their one cell lights to 5 dollar energizer penlights and do it cheaper. I really fail to see the price justification.

Last edited:

javafool

Enlightened
A small (1) AAA flashlight that will light up a whole room enough to get around comfortably. 8 - 11 hours run time on that AAA battery, and it is still dim enough that it won't destroy your nite vision.

That is the flashlight I was expecting and I am not the least dissapointed in the E0 I received. I think it is a vary nice flashlight for the price.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up said:
well there's far cheaper ways of getting a dim keychain light if that's what you're shooting for.
You've got alot less aluminum than a AA sized MagLED that's only 4 bucks more and an underdriven nichia LED that everyone from Gerber to Streamlight uses in their one cell lights to 5 dollar energizer penlights and do it cheaper. I really fail to see the price justification.
so your saying you know of mult. HAIII 1xAAA lights that have the regulation pattern of the E0? If so sign me up...

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
so your saying you know of mult. HAIII 1xAAA lights that have the regulation pattern of the E0? If so sign me up...

No, what I'm saying is it could be made of platinum and as long as it's this dim, I won't be paying 20 again. HAIII in this case just equals a pretty match stick. Actually, on something this dim, it's a waste of good anodizing.

I was comparing the useful circles of light just a minute ago between my Dorcy aaa and this thing. Shining at a top corner of the wall, the Fenix managed to illuminate about 3/4 of the fan blades closest side to that corner.
The Dorcy bounced back enough to illuminate the entire fan and a bit past it on the ceiling.

Now why won't you find any HAIII anodizing on the Dorcy? Probably because they came to the same realization: It would be a waste on a light this dim, so let's sell it for 6 bucks instead.

Good call in my book.

amanichen

Enlightened
Abouna said:
I received my E0 today. To say I am unhappy would be an understatement. However maybe my expectations are overblown.
The E0 is about as good of a keychain light as we're going to see for a long time (until we see more advances in LEDs and battery chemistry.) It takes the endurance and price crowns from its closest competitors. I think the problem is that lights like the E0, no matter how good they are, probably won't ever be all around general illumination tools.

If I need illumination for something longer than about 15 minutes, the L2P gets used. While the 8 hours of full regulation on the E0 is impressive, I can't see myself ever wanting to use a keychain light for 8 hours. I'm not old, and my low light vision is pretty good, but I'd rather save myself the eyestrain. I don't understand people who try to justify a keychain light as a general illumination tool by saying that a more powerful light is "too bright." Ask a dentist, surgeon, electrical technician, or search and rescue team member if they think there's such a thing as too much light. The next time you see your neurosurgeon, ask if he or she would like to borrow your ARC instead of using the overhead surgical lighting. Ask the SAR person if he or she would like to tromp through the dark wilderness searching for someone using nothing but a Photon Freedom. Ask the electrical technician whether he or she would rather take a guess at which wire to cut, by the light of an E0.

I think the E0 is currently the most refined 5mm light, but at this point in time the concept of a 5mm light is limited in usefulness, no matter how good it is compared to the competition. Maybe that's why your expectations feel a bit overblown?

C4LED

Enlightened
Skibane said:
Fenix also uses just one AAA cell to drive a 1 watt Luxeon in the L0P, so it's not the battery's fault. Basically, they's just using an unexceptional LED, and not over-driving it (as opposed to the Photon, which overdrives the crap out of an unexceptional LED).

Personally, when you can own an E1 for just 4 bucks more (with twice the brightness and a full 5 regulated hours on an Energizer Lithium), I don't see the attraction of the E0 anyway...

Completely agree with this. Anyone not happy with the E0 should try the E1. Runtime isn't bad and it's bright! I've got other lights for long emergency run time...

Coop57

Enlightened
As the happy owner of a E1, L1P, P1 and a L2T I am so glad I didn't jump on the EO bandwagon. My ARC AAA Premium works just fine.

X Racer

Enlightened
Badbeams said:
Jjees, come on folks. you knew the E0 was not going to be as bright as a Photon Feedom,,, X1... Arc-ps...it`s designed to be a bright/comprimise run time light....after two hours , which one do you want in your hand...and come on, it`s not that dimm...it runs just behind them. I don`t know. To me...seems like they met another trade off right on target. No magic. Just clear thinking all the way around. Meshes with the Fenix line up very well. You want bright...run time be damm...L0P, you want a tradeoff, tilt to bright, E1, you want long run time without to much comprimise, here you go...E0. Seems like they stay on top of things...just need LED`s, regulators and batts to improve. And they don`t make these...just try to combo them in the best way...things they hope we like at prices that we like.

+1 It was clear from the specs that this was the case with the light, yet it appears a whole bunch of people bought it expecting something totally different. The E0 appears to work exactly as advertised, it looks like some people just failed to read the advertising. If you want a bright small light that runs on AAA, then get the L0P...

meat

Newly Enlightened
If people are disappointed after paying $20 for an E0, I can't imagine the disappointment after buying an Arc AAAP for $40.

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't that impressed either... My $.99 Lighthound blew the EO away. That is until I thought to run them side-by-side while I slept. 9hrs later: the .99 was almost completely dead. The EO? Screaming from the top of it's tiny little lungs! I then went to Lumberjack to buy a host for my AA m@g hotwire and saw the replacement cells for the .99 was $2.39 EACH!! I know that they are .29 at Lighthound, but still locally EO rules.

It will still get used.

As far as the specs go... I know about everyone not being right on the money with lumen rateings... so I figuered: 5.5L = 2L hopefully.... My U2 I use a lot on the lowest level. I just didn't know it would be THAT dim.

Last edited:

pilou

Enlightened
Unless you need the super long run time of the E0, I don't see the point of getting an E0. The E1 is brighter, runs long enough, and looks much nicer. Its only drawback may be the very slightly larger size. But in my book, they are both small enough. If I ever get an E-series Fenix, it will be without hesitation the E1.

amanichen

Enlightened
meat said:
If people are disappointed after paying $20 for an E0, I can't imagine the disappointment after buying an Arc AAAP for $40.
Actually, based on CPF posts most ARC owners zealously defend their purchases, and often refuse to admit that there are any design flaws in the light. The $40 price doesn't buy you disappointment, rather it buys you a license to be pretentious about your purchase (again based on posts on CPF.)

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
dam i am dying to get my E0 to see what all the hoopla is about.

I have had an ARC-P for about 6 months hanging from my keys, and I have to say while it`s not very bright it`s a comfort to know i have a reliable light in an emergency.

regards.

John.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Hey Tinderbox. The hotspot on mine appears a bit blue, but the corona seems mostly white.

I feel the E0 delivers what was promised. Sure, there are brighter and/or cheaper 1 AAA lights. It was obviously designed to compete with Arc-P and Peak Matterhorn 1 LED lights. When the size, or the type of LED varies, then the fairness of the comparison ends.

Geoff

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is it like in a dark room with adapted eyes, is their enough light to walk around without bumping into things.

also does the beam have enough side spill so that you can see things on you left and right.

I consider the E0 an emergency light and with 11-20 hours runtime a long lasting one.

regards.

John.

javafool

Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
what is it like in a dark room with adapted eyes, is their enough light to walk around without bumping into things.

There sure is. It won't kill your adapted eyes either.

also does the beam have enough side spill so that you can see things on you left and right.

Yes it does.

I consider the E0 an emergency light and with 11-20 hours runtime a long lasting one.

If you carry this flashlight all the time, since it is quite small, you may find, as I did, that you will use it more than you ever imagined. BTW, do you own an Arc AAA flashlight?

Regards,
Terry

regards.

John.

See above.

pilou

Enlightened
GarageBoy said:
How does the Inova X1 compare?

In terms of brightness, the new X1 probably is a lot closer to the E1 than the E0. But it runs on AA batteries, not AAAs. In terms of build quality, the X1 is in a different league. At $20 or less, the X1 is in my opinion a very nice light, but at almost 4" long, it is much bigger than the E0/E1 and it would have a hard time passing for a keychain light :laughing: