Fenix E01 Impressive Runtime

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. After so many years, I am still amazed by this little light. I recently purchased a joule thief lantern and used it to drain my old batteries. I used the lantern to deplete an AAA to the point if I turned it off; I cannot turn it back on again until I let the battery rest a bit. But when the AAA couldn't fire up the joule thief lantern, I popped it into the E01; this gem fires it up with no problem and still very bright! Very impressive little light! :twothumbs:clap:

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Fenix-Store posted a thread call "any questions out there" let's go there and post our request... Bombard them with this question "will there be an AA e01?.. Lol.. Jk

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, definitely - a Fenix "E02" (AA) model would sell very well. Probably just to us flashlight junkies, but still sell well.

For that matter, I'd still like to see a Fenix "E01r" with a red LED, or an "E01b" with a blue LED. Unfortunately, that would be a much smaller niche market.

edpmis02

Enlightened
I want a D-cell based E01 (battery vampire) with maybe with a plastic LED diffuser cap to give it a candle like warm tint. Make it entirely out of plastic.. I wont care..

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, someone did make a D-cell battery vampire. It was a custom job from Wayne at Elektrolumens; there were a couple posts about it on CPF - depending on your interest, you might dig up those old posts and contact Wayne for a price.

ragweed

Enlightened
I am all for an AA E01..! The power lumen snobs here do not like it but, many people do. The E01 for me in a blackout anytime..!!

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish someone would make the AA body instead of relying on Fenix. And i know Fenix heard us many years ago.

I have sort of come up with an AA body. It's actually the body of the L3 Illumination L10 and using a screw thread adapter to connect the E01 head. So far, the only one that fits is a nylon one but I have yet to make a successful circuit from it. Ideally I'm looking for a brass one. I've tried using silver ink conductive paint but that hasn't worked too well. I think I will need to get someone to cut one for me but haven't got around to it yet. I'm happy to share the design if anyone wants to try it.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why o why do folk want a AA cell EO1,it is just a bulb in a tube that happens to be bomb proof, the EO5 is a far nicer light and dozens of other AA lights to choose from.Surely the purpose of a little key chain light is keep things small.I do hope Fenix stay away from making a AA version.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Users tend to start with what they know and move from there.

The e05 is indeed a nice light. It also has a much shorter runtime - 2.5 hours, give or take. Whereas the e01 will run for 21 hours, 10 at full strength. There are other AA lights out there to choose from - I have an L3 Illumination L10, for example. Very reasonably priced and very nice.

But it doesn't change the fact that a $15 dedicated AA-variant E01 would also have some appeal: the run time, the bomb-proof durability, the almost idiot-simple operations. The AA would just make the run times that much better, particularly for power outages and natural disasters.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the e01 is able to use batteries that are considered dead by other devices. Like i said above, it can fire up batteries that was rejected by my joule thief. And joule thief are designed to suck every once of juice from the batteries. That's pretty impressive in my book.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why o why do folk want a AA cell EO1,it is just a bulb in a tube that happens to be bomb proof,

Same reason as to why the Gerber infinity ultras are still popular. Get the E01 driver into the Gerber and that would be ideal. I've tried ...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same reason as to why the Gerber infinity ultras are still popular. Get the E01 driver into the Gerber and that would be ideal. I've tried ...

Another light I have which I find so old tech,not at all a favourite.

I think you just answered yourself.

Bomb proof but so old tech,I am not in need of extracting the last drop of fuel but just stick another charged cell in,seems silly spending loads on lights and then being a tight wad not being able to afford the batteries.

yowzer

Enlightened
Bomb proof but so old tech,I am not in need of extracting the last drop of fuel but just stick another charged cell in,seems silly spending loads on lights and then being a tight wad not being able to afford the batteries.

Until you find yourself in an earthquake, hurricane, tornado, volcano, tsunami, etc. zone and don't have unlimited fresh batteries all of a sudden... ruggedness, long run time and ability to run on almost dead cells is very, very useful.

scout24

Flashaholic
Until Fenix answers our requests, here are two options... Arc AA, complete with the angry blue tint, and an AA body from JS Burly IIRC for the AAA Arc head. C'mon Fenix!!! I'd buy a few... :)

P1020632-1.jpg

P1020633-1.jpg

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked - JS Burley's is sold out and I don't know if they'll be getting any more in.

I think you just scored a collector's piece. :D