Fenix E05 - 2014 Edition (not SS)

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
E05_zpsded2661a.jpg

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what do you know, cats and dogs living together.

Tried cleaning it but it did not help :( it still turns off when I change modes and it fails very frequently I have to send it back, so I'm the only one who has this problem? I've never had a Fenix fail right out of the box and I've bought many over the years.

Sorry to hear that jhc37013, I thought there may be some similarity between our situations. I have never had a twisty SHUT DOWN when I tightened it, and tightened it hard. No way could I get it back on without loosening it and re-tightening it, which made me worry it was more than just a contact issue. But after the cleaning, I have used the poop out of this light, and because of yours, have made a real point of cycling through the modes way more than I would otherwise. I have to say it is actually one of the most consistent and reliable twisty switching lights I own. I hope you can get a good one soon.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is that the New SS E05 on the original E05 or are those both the newest versions? If I can buy a SS E05 and swap the head to my old one I'm buying one literally right now. That looks so awesome. I don't have my black E05 in front of me so I can't tell if it's the old or new one lol.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are both the new 2014 versions. I have not tried it with a new + old combo, but may do that.

Please do kind sir! I have been eying the new SS version and if it could interchange with my current "old" E05 that would be awesome.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 - the new 2014 stainless head fits and functions just fine on the "old" aluminum body.

2 - the "old" aluminum head fits but does not function on the new 2014 stainless body.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 - the new 2014 stainless head fits and functions just fine on the "old" aluminum body.

2 - the "old" aluminum head fits but does not function on the new 2014 stainless body.

Awesome. Thanks for checking. Too bad that the old head doesn't work on the new body. If I want to carry around the new head on the old body it would be nice to have the other parts function as one light still somewhere else. But I guess that's not exactly something I should expect to work in the first place so it's cool that it at least works one of the two ways.

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
I've had my E05 2014 for a couple of days now and I wish low was lower and I really wish it had a clip. I'll continue using my Olight i3s instead.

Yes, I read the specs before purchasing it but I didn't realize 8 lumen was so bright. Also since I'm pretty sure Fenix reads this forum it doesn't hurt giving some constructive critique. I'm pretty sure most of us would have liked a clip on it. At least a removable one... Maybe the 2015 edition will have one ;)

Brgds... /BlueSwede

If you want a AAA light with a lower low and clip, I have a Nitecore T2 which has a low of 2lumens and a pocket clip. Worth considering perhaps.

Last edited:

Kingfisher

Enlightened
Tried cleaning it but it did not help :( it still turns off when I change modes and it fails very frequently I have to send it back, so I'm the only one who has this problem? I've never had a Fenix fail right out of the box and I've bought many over the years.

Mine did this at first, and the dealer recommended cleaning head and thread - it now works fine, but I'll keep my eye on it. Feels like it could do with some lube now, but I'll resist. The dealer cannot check them as they come in blister pack which has to be completely destroyed to get at it.

No problem at all with the SS version.

Pointoflight

Newly Enlightened
Got both. They both worked flawlessly out of the box. Super bright light. The 3 modes are great! The ss version looks beautiful but I put the aluminum one on my key chain as it does feel lighter. Have both on clips so I can always swap them out. These things are bright on high and do not need a 10440 bat. They are motor than bright enough for keychain duty. The threads were fine on both but did put a little silicone to make it even better. The alum version was only 25 bucks. 5 bucks more than the old 27 lumen version. Good deal

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad it's not like the i3S. That's a really nice light with absolutely horrible mode sequence.

I thought this E05 would bridge the gap bewteen a 1xAA and the tiny Photon for my keychain. Unfortunatley, it's still too large for my keychain. I know that's just a personal preference since many people carry these. I just like to keep the bulk/weight on my keychain to a minimum.

I used to carry a photon on my minimalist keyring, now I carry a Pico Light, 10 lumens, 15 hours, 10 grams, Highly Recommended!

for reference comparison, photon specs: 4.5 lumens, 18 hours, 6 grams

I also have a Fenix E05 2014, that I LOVE the Low 8, med 25, high 85 sequence. It weighs 22 grams and lasts 15 hours on low. All it needs is a pocket clip, so I can put it on my baseball cap at camp. It replaces my Fenix E01 rated 13 lumens for 16.5 hours.

And I have an oLight i3s, that I HATE the med 20, high 85, low 0.5 sequence on. It also weighs 22 grams but lasts only 8 hours on medium. I do absolutely LOVE the pocket clip.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aluminum 2014 E05 has the 3 modes, its a great light, I really like the 8-25-85 sequence, and the knurling in hand.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the old one,one mode and it is enough for me

the single mode EO5 is 27 lumens. You can still have that with the new model, it has a medium of 25 lumens, PLUS 2 other modes that are useful, but you dont have to use them :)

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
On last level 85 lm is visibly brighter with 1,5V AAA than with 1,2V NiMH ...

Measured voltage: 1,55V on AAA and 1,4V on NiMH.

I don't like this :(