Fenix E05 Stainless Steel

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Several people have mentioned the problem they have with the additional weight of the SS version. The difference is like barely over half an ounce. I cannot think of any reason at all why that would have an impact on anyone... Unless you're some sort of super extreme hiker or something carrying tons of gear all the time. Please enlighten. I appreciate the solid feel of the SS and the fact that it's not going to look all beat up after a couple weeks jangling around in my pocket (+ it just looks awesome, which tremendously adds enjoyment to my usage of it).

I would also like to point out that I have no issue at all turning the head without the knurling. I feel those complaints are a bit nit-picky too. The only complaints I have observed about that are from (apparently) people who do not actually own one. As long as it's lubricated from time to time (threads) I see that as no issue.

Last edited:

Jimbo75

Newly Enlightened
What kind of body did you put on there?

As mentioned by Hondo, looks like a Ti Preon, I just tried to turn my E05 ss into a clicky with a Ti Preon clicky body but the threads weren't long enough to make it work. I'm sure a well placed bit of foil would probably get it going...

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Correct. My preon died within a few months (wont power on). The only $20+ light I've had do that. Sticking with Fenix. And no, I don't actually use it with the Preon body.

Last edited:

EsthetiX

Enlightened
And as with many AAA lights, it does have momentary ability if you put pressure on the head. This particular light performs flawlessly with that. I do recommend making sure you have it twisted just enough (lockout) while in your pocket as you could inadvertently apply pressure to it and drain unnecessary usage.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Several people have mentioned the problem they have with the additional weight of the SS version. The difference is like barely over half an ounce. I cannot think of any reason at all why that would have an impact on anyone... Unless you're some sort of super extreme hiker or something carrying tons of gear all the time. Please enlighten. I appreciate the solid feel of the SS and the fact that it's not going to look all beat up after a couple weeks jangling around in my pocket (+ it just looks awesome, which tremendously adds enjoyment to my usage of it).

Probably just one of those "every gram counts" type of things. Even as a backpacker, for the longest time, I always said "what's the point...it only weight xxx ounces more?" After a few more years, my average pack weight is around 20lbs with food and water. It used to be 35lbs. Little bit at a time. If someone is carrying a decent size knife, nail clippers, keys for work, home, car, spouses car, bottle opener, flashlight, etc. Every gram counts. In this case, I'm not 100% I buy it, I ordered the aluminum version for other reasons anyway.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several people have mentioned the problem they have with the additional weight of the SS version. . . . Please enlighten.

This flashlight game we play is as much about aesthetics and feeling good as it is about lumens. And some folks subjectively do not dig a light that is heavier for its size than they prefer. A "heavier" light (compared to what they are used to) does not make them feel good. This is not right or wrong - it just is.

In order to bring peace and harmony to CPF, I have ordered both flavors of the new E05..

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
:caution:
This flashlight game we play is as much about aesthetics and feeling good as it is about lumens. And some folks subjectively do not dig a light that is heavier for its size than they prefer. A "heavier" light (compared to what they are used to) does not make them feel good. This is not right or wrong - it just is.

In order to bring peace and harmony to CPF, I have ordered both flavors of the new E05..

Agreed about aesthetics. I have to admit that I bought the stainless steel model rather than aluminum because of aesthetics. Aluminum lights take a beating when in your pocket with keys. They just don't look too good to me after being scratched up by keys for a couple of weeks. Admittedly, the light will probably still work. But I just don't care for that look.

Of course, the stepdown is a whole other issue. I REALLY don't like this. And although the light still has value to me despite it, the stepdown certainly makes the light less useful as an emergency backup should I be on a pitch dark, rough, rocky trail on a moonless night in the Sierra. What REALLY bothers me is how unforthcoming manufacturers are about stepdowns. On the Fenix site, it is mentioned NOWHERE that it steps down to 25 lumens from 85 lumens after a mere three minutes. Only when you test the light or read the actual product literature do you get this surprise. Of course, Fenix is not the only manufacturer guilty of this.

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
Of course, the stepdown is a whole other issue. I REALLY don't like this. And although the light still has value to me despite it, the stepdown certainly makes the light less useful as an emergency backup should I be on a pitch dark, rough, rocky trail on a moonless night in the Sierra. What REALLY bothers me is how unforthcoming manufacturers are about stepdowns. On the Fenix site, it is mentioned NOWHERE that it steps down to 25 lumens from 85 lumens after a mere three minutes. Only when you test the light or read the actual product literature do you get this surprise. Of course, Fenix is not the only manufacturer guilty of this.

Yes those are my feelings too.

Blueskies123

Newly Enlightened
Come on guys, this is a key chain light that cost 20 bucks. For what I need a key chain light to do the light is perfect. I have a quark by my bedside for late night and high quality lights in my car and house when I need a bomb proof light.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Okay, I FINALLY got mine. Here are my very quick observations.

- A tad underwhelming at first, I think I just read too much about it and was spoiled by my Preon Revo.
- Pretty good tint and good, useful beam pattern (XP-E2?).
- Knurling is okay, but the head design is dumb, the all knurled head on the aluminum version makes a lot more sense, this one is slippery. Not too heavy.
- Smooth threads, a little play, but not bad. 1 second reset time, this is GREAT!
- L-M-H, no mode memory. Great stuff, but low and medium are far too close. 1-3 lumens for low would be better. This is acceptable (8 lumens) but not my preference.
- Finishing is generally good with a few rough edges here and there. Decent, not super well finished, but above average.
- Great size, cute.
- No PWM, great!

So, it turns out mine is only lightly glued too, so came apart reasonably easily. Here's what else I noticed:

- optic is one piece, no lens, so it will scratch. This is not good. Peak lights also have no lens so it's not a new thing, but not ideal. There is an o-ring behind the optic to help hold it in place and waterproof it.
- I modded the light to Nichia 219A (already!) and love the tint, CRI, and the wider, more floody beam. Very useful. I'll likely be putting a glow sticker in there tomorrow, for fun.

Overall, I quite like it. If it had a glass lens and lower low, I would love it.

Bakerman

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered two of these today, hopefully they ship quickly because I am really looking forward to trying one out. Sometimes you just need to hold it and see it in person to get a good feel of a light.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine a lot. Tint is very good for a cool white - leaning towards neutral compared to some. For the price it's a great light. Wish the optic was glass though. Beam pattern has a wide beam with more spill than the original even though the optic is smooth.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got quite unlucky in the past 24 hours, and dropped my keys THREE TIMES on pavement. I don't know how bad this is for the circuitry. But the light looks virtually PRISTINE! You have to look really closely to see any blemishes - they are SO small that they are virtually invisible. Got to love that stainless steel! If this was an anodized aluminum flashlight, it would be looking like GARBAGE right about now. Long live stainless steel!

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got quite unlucky in the past 24 hours, and dropped my keys THREE TIMES on pavement. I don't know how bad this is for the circuitry. But the light looks virtually PRISTINE! You have to look really closely to see any blemishes - they are SO small that they are virtually invisible. Got to love that stainless steel! If this was an anodized aluminum flashlight, it would be looking like GARBAGE right about now. Long live stainless steel!
The most important thing is the light must still work. This is my only concern with this light as I am not sure how tough it could be. I drop my keys occasionally. With the Preon ReVO the leave spring was compressed so hard it was impossible to turn it on after the drop. Had to send it in to 47s to get it serviced.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOG_zps892b44d6.jpg

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I FINALLY got mine. Here are my very quick observations.

- A tad underwhelming at first, I think I just read too much about it and was spoiled by my Preon Revo.
- Pretty good tint and good, useful beam pattern (XP-E2?).
- Knurling is okay, but the head design is dumb, the all knurled head on the aluminum version makes a lot more sense, this one is slippery. Not too heavy.
- Smooth threads, a little play, but not bad. 1 second reset time, this is GREAT!
- L-M-H, no mode memory. Great stuff, but low and medium are far too close. 1-3 lumens for low would be better. This is acceptable (8 lumens) but not my preference.
- Finishing is generally good with a few rough edges here and there. Decent, not super well finished, but above average.
- Great size, cute.
- No PWM, great!

So, it turns out mine is only lightly glued too, so came apart reasonably easily. Here's what else I noticed:

- optic is one piece, no lens, so it will scratch. This is not good. Peak lights also have no lens so it's not a new thing, but not ideal. There is an o-ring behind the optic to help hold it in place and waterproof it.
- I modded the light to Nichia 219A (already!) and love the tint, CRI, and the wider, more floody beam. Very useful. I'll likely be putting a glow sticker in there tomorrow, for fun.

Overall, I quite like it. If it had a glass lens and lower low, I would love it.

That is awesome that you already modded yours with a Nichia 219A! Out of curiosity, was the new E05 potted? Any photos of it disassembled?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not potted. Nope. No pictures at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums
Damn! For something built with such a tough material like stainless steel, I was expecting it to be potted. Don't we always drop our keys?

Latest posts