Fenix E05 Stainless Steel

robert.t

Enlightened
I'm really liking that thrunite, ven! Unfortunately though, thrunites are hard to come by in my location. Is that a aaa light as well?

Nope. T10 is AA, T20 is CR123A. I find it rather heavy compared to similarly sized lights. Relatively speaking, so is the E05 SS, but because it's so small overall, by the time you add the battery, it isn't disproportionately heavy. It's quite noticeable once you get up to AA size. On the plus side, it does feel really solid.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Nope. T10 is AA, T20 is CR123A. I find it rather heavy compared to similarly sized lights. Relatively speaking, so is the E05 SS, but because it's so small overall, by the time you add the battery, it isn't disproportionately heavy. It's quite noticeable once you get up to AA size. On the plus side, it does feel really solid.
Totally agree with this. I really like the weight, it feels substantial. And it doesn't bother me at all since i don't attach the light to my keys. That said, it seems like it can take a whole lot of beating. I wonder if there's going to be a torture test for this light. Kinda curious how much it can take before quitting hehe

robert.t

Enlightened
Totally agree with this. I really like the weight, it feels substantial. And it doesn't bother me at all since i don't attach the light to my keys. That said, it seems like it can take a whole lot of beating. I wonder if there's going to be a torture test for this light. Kinda curious how much it can take before quitting hehe

I'd love to see that, but there's no way I'm putting mine in a rock tumbler!

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Anybody try this with 10440? Was it OK?

Would like to see a review with 10440 too.

I know the ones modded by Vinh do, so I don't see why the regular ones wouldn't.

He specifically states that ONLY the one modded to be a single mode, direct drive light will work with 10440. AAA only for all the "normal" multi-mode options. Use 10440 at your own risk...

I think it best to use 10440 only in a light designed for it with voltage and thermal protection. Of course I don't know if a light like that exists!

Replying to old posts to avoid future misconceptions. There is never any point in running Li-ion in a light not designed for it that is advertised to be regulated and thus features constant brightness. If the 10440 would work in an unmodded E05ss, the output would be the same, but the runtimes would be absurdly poor. Just something to keep in mind when wondering about Li-ion: check the salient advertised specs before inquiring.
:poke:

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Is that true for all regulated lights though? I know the i3S goes nuts on a 10440.

Isn't that the definition of "regulated?" Not impossible for it to detect a different voltage, and adjust its regulation accordingly, but I have seen no such detail. Looked up specs, and my guess is "Adopt linear current regulation technology," is marketing speak for simply "current controlled," which is still what you want, but not necessarily "constant brightness." I could be way off, though. If you have one, you'll know if the brightness levels dim as the cell depletes.

Last edited:

radiopej

Enlightened
I think some lights are regulated on AAA and then direct drive on li-ion. Other ones just die when it goes over voltage. So you can have lights that are regulated, but then take li-ion for stupid brightness even if it isn't safe.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Not sure if the Quark Mini ML-X is regulated but mine is much brighter on rcr123s than it is on primaries... To put the topic to rest, someone did reply in a thread here somewhere about putting 10440s in the E05 but he said it didnt work. It didnt kill the light since it worked on primaries afterwards but i wouldnt try it. He may have gotten lucky.

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
Just picked one of these up. I'm excited to check it out. If I don't like it maybe I can trade my wife for my AAA brass maratac back!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if the Quark Mini ML-X is regulated but mine is much brighter on rcr123s than it is on primaries... To put the topic to rest, someone did reply in a thread here somewhere about putting 10440s in the E05 but he said it didnt work. It didnt kill the light since it worked on primaries afterwards but i wouldnt try it. He may have gotten lucky.

FYI, the Mini Quarks are not rated for RCR123's, just 3.0 V max. I can't remember if David weighed in and said the circuit would not destruct, and it may just be the issue of heat building up way too fast, as the circuit goes into direct drive, hence why it is so bright. Might be OK for short bursts.

Back on topic, I have been enjoying my E05 SS, but I have to admit I really prefer the aluminum one. It is both because I prefer the lighter weight, and the threads are smoother.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
FYI, the Mini Quarks are not rated for RCR123's, just 3.0 V max. I can't remember if David weighed in and said the circuit would not destruct, and it may just be the issue of heat building up way too fast, as the circuit goes into direct drive, hence why it is so bright. Might be OK for short bursts.

Back on topic, I have been enjoying my E05 SS, but I have to admit I really prefer the aluminum one. It is both because I prefer the lighter weight, and the threads are smoother.
Yeah, I read about it but thanks for the reminder. I can't remember whose review it was, selfbuilts, i think but he mentioned that it can run on rcr's but at your own risk. And he did warn about leaving it on high for too long since it gets hot in seconds.

To get back on track though, I wish the e05 could run on 10440s. Not just for the wow factor of the brightness but it takes the hassle out of having to drain eneloops before charging again.

Bad juju,

Im sure you'll love it! Totally happy with mine though I wish I know how to swap out the o-ring with one of those gitd ones. That would definitely make the e05 even better ☺

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
it takes the hassle out of having to drain eneloops before charging again.

Nah, you're thinking like the old NiCad days. Those would get "memory" if you did not deep cycle them fairly often. A few slow cycles to refresh are not bad when cells get dodgy, but in general NiMH's, and especially the very robust Eneloops are very happy being topped off all the time. Been doing it for about 8 years since the Eneloop came out, all work as close to new as I can tell.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Nah, you're thinking like the old NiCad days. Those would get "memory" if you did not deep cycle them fairly often. A few slow cycles to refresh are not bad when cells get dodgy, but in general NiMH's, and especially the very robust Eneloops are very happy being topped off all the time. Been doing it for about 8 years since the Eneloop came out, all work as close to new as I can tell.
Are you serious??? Man, I must be getting old! Haha! I didn't know that, I thought only lithiums can be topped off... I've been cycling my eneloops from full to empty, imagine my hassle of doing that for years! I guess we all learn something new everday 😂

chuckhov

Enlightened
Hondo is correct... I'm afraid that you have only been shortening their life by treating NIMH as though they were NiCads:-(

That's what I like about the forum - I learn something new everyday!

Thanks,
-Chuck

dts71

Newly Enlightened

At what charge rate (mA) do you top of your AAA Eneloops?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My most used charger is a LaCrosse BC-700. I use the 700 mA rate for AA's and the 500 mA rate for AAA's. Even the 700 mA rate should do no damage to a AAA cell, but I am not usually in a big hurry, so I go a little easy on them. I have faster chargers, but the BC-700 seems to terminate well on a variety of cells without letting them get too warm.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recieved mine today. A very nice light from what i have seen so far.

Congratulations! What are your impressions of the 4 lumen low, compared to the 8 lumen low on the aluminum e05 2014? I think I would like the longer battery on low.

Last edited:

robert.t

Enlightened
Congratulations! What are your impressions of the 4 lumen low, compared to the 8 lumen low on the aluminum e05 2014? I think I would like the longer battery on low.

Low on the SS is 8 lumens not 4. It's 4 lumens on the E99 Ti though. The difference is quite noticeable: 4 lumens is pretty low (getting into moonlight territory), whereas 8 is quite usable without needing a higher mode most of the time (if e.g., looking for stuff indoors - obviously it's still too low for a main outdoors level). Because of the noticeable difference visually and huge runtime difference, I prefer the E99 as a backup light on my keyring and the E05 SS as my general about-the-house EDC.

8 is also definitely too bright if you want a moonlight level because your eyes are dark-adjusted.I haven't checked whether 4 is still too high in that case, but suspect it may be.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low on the SS is 8 lumens not 4. It's 4 lumens on the E99 Ti though. The difference is quite noticeable: 4 lumens is pretty low (getting into moonlight territory), whereas 8 is quite usable without needing a higher mode most of the time (if e.g., looking for stuff indoors - obviously it's still too low for a main outdoors level). Because of the noticeable difference visually and huge runtime difference, I prefer the E99 as a backup light on my keyring and the E05 SS as my general about-the-house EDC.

8 is also definitely too bright if you want a moonlight level because your eyes are dark-adjusted.I haven't checked whether 4 is still too high in that case, but suspect it may be.

Great info, thanks for correcting my mistake about which model has the 4 lumen low. I do like the .5 lumen low of my oLight i3s for myself, But as a gift for my non flashoholic daughter, the 8 lumen low is a better match. since I hate the oLight sequence putting low last, Ive just bought a Thrunite Ti Ti Christmas, just to have the .5 lumen low First in the lighting sequence.

I just started learning about AAA options, Ive bought 5 different ones so far.. original E05, two 2014 Alum E05's, 1 oLight i3s, and one incoming Thrunite Ti Ti.. plus 2 Pico lights for my keychain (replaced my PHoton Freedom light), and a backup... Slippery Slope :)