Fenix E05 Stainless Steel

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
Robert caught that before me. The light is nice and seems constructed very well. The tint isn't as cool as I thought it might be which is a good thing. its warmer than my i3s and a touch cooler than my maratac brass AAA rev 3. My wife ended up taking a liking to it but that's ok by me, I get my brass maratac back!

I prefer my i3s and sometimes my Cu beta Qrv2 for night time low visibility.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's these compare to the e99ti?

They are very similar in appearance and function. Modes are a little different - which one is best is entirely subjective. The E05 SS has smoother threads, of course, and is significantly heavier. Those are the biggest differences.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do both start on low?

Yes, both are L-M-H, no memory.

A couple more differences...the E99Ti comes with a very nice presentation quality case (really!). If you are gifting a light, it will make an impression. Of course, it is also about fifty percent more expensive. If I was buying one for myself, I would probably go for the SS version...but the E99Ti is higher quality as a gift, in my opinion.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and I prefer the E05SS. Nicer tint and smoother operation. Weight wise, not much of a difference. My sample of the E99Ti has a slightly greenish tint.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E99Ti also has both a higher high and a lower low than the E05SS.

I, too, actually prefer the SS to the Ti, though of course I'd recommend getting both, ha ha!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
E99Ti is 4-27-100 lumens, 29 grams with battery

EO5 Stainless is 8-25-85, weight is 42 grams with battery.

The stainless weighs 13 grams more than the ti. You could strap a 2nd aaa (11 grams) to the Ti and it would still weigh 2gm less than the SS. To put it another way, the SS is 45% heavier than the Ti.

both are pretty :), cant decide? yeah get both, LOL
as long as youre ok with NEITHER having a pocket clip

Last edited:

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
The E99Ti also has both a higher high and a lower low than the E05SS.

I, too, actually prefer the SS to the Ti, though of course I'd recommend getting both, ha ha!

But the SS is a bit heavy for a EDC

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

My E05SS is actually my backup light and it's on my keychain; my true EDCs are the Fenix LD09 and E12, one of which is in my pocket anytime I'm out of the apartment - and they're both much bigger and (I assume) heavier than the E05SS. That being said, I'm sure that my situation is quite different from folks that are counting grams, in which case I'm sure that the SS is a heavy light!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

That depends on the user...I EDC two 18650-based lights...a E05 in stainless steel is a LOT lighter than either one. Unless you are a minimalist backpacker, or something, I find it hard to imagine that you can't carry a few extra grams. Gotta pick things in perspective...neither one weighs much at all.

And, I should have read one more post...Grijon already said pretty much the same thing. :oops:

Last edited:

robert.t

Enlightened

Not really. The relative weight difference is really obvious, but the SS is small enough that the total weight with battery is pretty insignificant. It's just enough to know its there and it feels solid in the hand, but it's not really "heavy". I tend to have both the E99 and SS on me most of the time because the weight does make a difference on a keyring, and the lower low and higher high make the E99 the more versatile backup light, but for everyday use I much prefer the SS, usually on the 8 lumen mode (if I need more I'm probably outside and will usually have a slightly bigger EDC like a D25A with me).

ven

Flashaholic
I like the slight heft,gives that solid confident feeling.............and also makes car keys velocity increase when dropped :laughing:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the slight heft,gives that solid confident feeling.............and also makes car keys velocity increase when dropped :laughing:

Glad you put a laugh after that one! Of course, you did that because you realize that neglecting air resistance over the surface area relative to mass, which is not a significant factor for a key ring falling from waist high, objects of higher mass do not fall any faster than lighter ones. But you knew that, I just wanted to point it out for the new guys!

Viva la E05 (SS and aluminum, they both rock!)

ven

Flashaholic
It does hurt ones foot more though when stopping the "acceleration" :laughing:

Yes true to gravity,9.8m/s iirc however,heavy objects do accelerate faster to that speed................

I know if it fell from Simon Cowells 44" chest pants it would :laughing:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes true to gravity,9.8m/s iirc however,heavy objects do accelerate faster to that speed................

OK, not to be too much of a smartypants, but this is a technical discussion forum, and it's almost on topic for this SS light, relating to it's non-illuminating performance due to higher mass, sooo...

In a vacuum, there is never any difference in speed or acceleration of all objects falling. I had the opportunity to see this for myself in college physics. The prof. had about an eight foot tall clear plastic tube with an electromagnet at the top. Inside, he trapped a feather against the magnet with a steel ball. Then he sealed the tube and pumped out all of the air. On turning off the power to the magnet, the ball fell to the bottom of the tube. And you guessed it, the feather fell right with it and they landed together just as they started.

So as I eluded to above, differences will occur when air resistance over the surface area becomes significant. Skydivers are *very* thankful that this is so. But given the difference in mass of the two lights, which is only a portion of the whole key ring, which doesn't have a lot of area to generate resisting force in the air, I say the keys with the SS light reach the ground within 1% of the same time/speed as the ones with the aluminum one, or no measurable difference.

Yeah, I am an engineer. BTW, I taught two semesters of that same mechanical physics course for the self-study version of the course. They didn't let me play with the vacuum tube though. :mecry:

ven

Flashaholic
I am an engineer also,however more mechanical biased,very interesting read,thanks for sharing:)

I will take the feather on the head over the ball though!! :laughing:

;)