Fenix E1 (Bezel Removal and Candle Mode)

scott

Enlightened
I really really REALLY like my Fenix E1. Yes, I wish the ring was missing from the beam. And the tint could be a little less blue. During real world use, though, neither matter. For me, the E1 strikes a perfect compromise between brightness and regulated run time. One of the things I like about MY E1, is that I can remove the bezel for true "candle mode." I have a Brinkmann clip on my E1 so it can be attached to the brim of a ball cap. and with the bezel removed, the E1 throws a blanket of perfectly even and floody 180 degee spill light. It is perfect for reading or close in work. The problem is, not all E1s have this capability. So far, I've been able to examine four E1s. The two that included "lobster claw" clips lacked true candle mode. I don't know if there's a connection, but this might be an indicator. In any case, I wish that Fenix would allow bezel removal for all their lights. If they would market it as "true candle mode," it could only improve sales. To me, this is a huge advantage.

Scott

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Was much force needed to remove the bezel? I made a half-hearted effort and when it didn't give I stopped. Was also a little concerned about a bunch of dust getting on the reflector and lens via static if I removed it. Maybe it's easy to unscrew the reflector to fix that. I like it enough to not want to botch something by forcing the issue.

Geoff

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll give it a try when mine gets here as I would like the ability but I dont hold much hope.

I had a good look at my L2T and P1 and no easy way here either.

Luxson

Newly Enlightened
There are several method guys. What I did was to tape both sides of the light that is to be twisted. By using two pliers, twist open hard and there you go. Be sure the taping is thick enough to protect the finish, my e1 did came out unscathed. Scrap off the loctite and apply lubication. Your e1 candle mode will thus be enabled. :)

scott

Enlightened
I didn't need to use tape or pliers, but was able to use just my fingers. It took a good bit of pressure to get it moving, though. On second thought, pliers would have been easier. It is definitely a worthy "mod."

For those with removable bezels--and for those without--did your's come with the lobster claw clip--or not?

Scott

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put a two rubber bands wound tightly on the head and on the body.. then used my bare hands.... the rubber bands help with the grip ....... it gave pretty quick :D

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobster claw and still able to twist it off using my hands.. Was a bit tough, but no real problem...

With a good luxeon it is perfect.

Sverre

scott said:
I didn't need to use tape or pliers, but was able to use just my fingers. It took a good bit of pressure to get it moving, though. On second thought, pliers would have been easier. It is definitely a worthy "mod."

For those with removable bezels--and for those without--did your's come with the lobster claw clip--or not?

Scott

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got no joy out of my E1...gonna need some strap wrenches to shift that head...must be welded on or something!
rant.gif

May try this rubber band method before giving up all hope.

CFU

tc17

Newly Enlightened
scott said:
I really really REALLY like my Fenix E1. Yes, I wish the ring was missing from the beam. And the tint could be a little less blue. During real world use, though, neither matter. For me, the E1 strikes a perfect compromise between brightness and regulated run time. One of the things I like about MY E1, is that I can remove the bezel for true "candle mode." I have a Brinkmann clip on my E1 so it can be attached to the brim of a ball cap. and with the bezel removed, the E1 throws a blanket of perfectly even and floody 180 degee spill light. It is perfect for reading or close in work. The problem is, not all E1s have this capability. So far, I've been able to examine four E1s. The two that included "lobster claw" clips lacked true candle mode. I don't know if there's a connection, but this might be an indicator. In any case, I wish that Fenix would allow bezel removal for all their lights. If they would market it as "true candle mode," it could only improve sales. To me, this is a huge advantage.

Scott
I assume then that the E1 doesn't always come with the Lobster Claw Clasp? I received 2 of the E1's from the Fenix Store and neither had a clasp with them. I originally thought they all came with the clasp.

kevinm

Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
I got no joy out of my E1...gonna need some strap wrenches to shift that head...must be welded on or something!
rant.gif

May try this rubber band method before giving up all hope.

CFU

If you like the way it looks without marring, don't do it! Harbor Freight had 2 strap wrenches for $4. Home Depost as 2 for $8. You get tools and are certain not to harm the finish. I tried some aquarium tubing and vice grips; jacked the finish and didn't get it open. The strap wrenches took 2 minutes (no joke) and no scatches.

Kevin

Roy82

Newly Enlightened
Just tried the rubber band method wrapped around the 2 pieces. Just got it undone, gave enough grip to do it by hand. There wasn't a lot of loctite on there though, just a blob, YMMV. Mine was a recent purchace without the lobster claw.

Thanks for the tip!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a mouse pad. It didn't want to give but after several tries it did. No clip
though.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine came apart easily, but I got it used. I think the original owner (a fellow CPFer, many thanks to him for the E1) opened it up I think. I have no idea how difficult it was for him tho. I always thought they all opened up easily. Even tho it's openable (ok, not really a word), it can still be a bit tough to do when it's been on for a while. I also find the candle mode a really nice feature. I wish the E0 had that capability also.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just tried a bit harder than the first time with hands and got mine to unscrew. Definitely a nice feature. Can't wait for darkness to really test it. Mine did not come with the "lobster claw" clip.

Has anyone tried it with the reflector removed?

Geoff

Last edited:

scott

Enlightened
Apparently, the "lobster claw" is not the determining factor as to whether the bezel can be removed or not. I am also now wondering if ALL E1s have removable bezels, and that some are just tighter than others. hmmmm....

Scott

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, I received (6) new Fenix E1's yesterday.

It is an incredible little light, and I am extremely happy, as will be five of my friends and family.

On (3) of the lights, the bezel removed with firm finger torque. There was a small amount of glue/loctite/putty on the threads, easily removed with a toothpick. I lubed witih silicone grease, and the candle mode really works well now.

On the other (3) lights, no amount of finger torque (with or without rubber bands or mouse pads or whatever) could remove the bezels. In fact, the strap wrenches I had on hand (too large, to be sure) also slipped before loosening the bezels. However, I was able to use the rubber strap portion of the wrenches with two small-ish Channel-Loc wrenches, and after considerable struggling and worry, get the bezels off without damage. I then removed the glue/loctite/putty (which was more abundant and drier/harder) with the tip of a razor blade, and lubed as before.

So, from my small sampling, it appears that about 50% of the lights, from factory, unscrew easily, although this does not seem to be Fenix's intent. All six of my lights work in the candle mode very well now, and I am very happy indeed. This is one really neat little light.

Frank

Last edited:

scott

Enlightened
Frank,

You seem as enamored of the E1 as I am. And your sampling of six seems to provide the answer I was hoping for. I'll buy another E1 as long as I know I can get the bezel off if I'm willing to work at it. I hope that Fenix comes to realize that "candle mode" is a selling feature. (Especially since they already have it.)

Scott

mchlwise

Enlightened
My E1, with lobster clasp, came apart with just my hands, no tools required at all.

One WARNING on frequent use of "candle mode", though (and maybe this is why Fenix doesn't encourage it):

The white on the board surrounding the emitter appears to be just paint, and it flakes off easily, as well as wears through quickly from the friction of the reflector tightening against it. If it wears through or flakes off on both sides of the emitter, it shorts out the light, and it will not turn on. I had to create a "gasket" of sorts with a piece of paper with a hole in the middle for the emitter, to go between the emitter board and the reflector.