Fenix E20 Mini-Review: OUTPUT, RUNTIME and BEAM Comparisons

Desperad0s

Newly Enlightened
any chance of outdoor beam shots, I would love to see how these all throw, especially with some of the optics and reflectors those lights have
This would make my decision really much easier :p

Like one from 5 metres, one from 15, 30, 50 and one from 80 or less if you want... your decision... I just hope to get some ;)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I would definitely recommend low self-discharge (LSD) NiMH batteries - i.e. Sanyo Eneloop, Duracell pre-charged, etc. However, if you need to use regular alkalines, Fenix is generally a good choice.

To see additional runtimes of various 2AA lights (including L2T Rebel and L2D Cree), check out my recent NiteCore D20 review.

Sorry, no plans for additional beamshots right now. But the summary table in the this review and the D20 should help you compare overall output and throw levels.
:wave:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello Desperad0s --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Regardless of which flashlight you select,

using rechargeable, Low-Self-Discharge (LSD)

NiMH cells would be a Great choice for it.

Recommend Sanyo Eneloops, or the Duracell equivalents --

(make sure those Duracells have a White Top, and package sez: "Made in Japan")

Please let us know which flashlight you select.

Bet you will be AMAZED at how BRIGHT an LED light is ! ! !

:wow:__:cool:

Good Luck in your quest for the perfect flashlight.

_

Desperad0s

Newly Enlightened
Thank y'all...!

And now here's my final question of L2T vs E20:
They reach 100m? Which reaches more metres?

lovefenix

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,i´m new in the forum.

I have a question.

In the E20 runtime chart on eneloops the output abruptly comes to 10 "overall light output" at 2 hours and 32 minutes. Does this mean that when it gets to that point it keeps running at 10 light output until shut-off?
Im new in the flashlight world so i am a little confused.

I bought the E20 and it´s an awsome light compared to the incan minimag and other crappy incan lights i used.The LED world of flashlights is like heaven to me compared to what i was used to.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this mean that when it gets to that point it keeps running at 10 light output until shut-off?

It will continue to dimm slowly until it reaches zero. But don't do it with rechargeble cells or you will discharge them too deeply.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
In the E20 runtime chart on eneloops the output abruptly comes to 10 "overall light output" at 2 hours and 32 minutes. Does this mean that when it gets to that point it keeps running at 10 light output until shut-off?
As jirik_cz said, it will continue to run for longer before slowly dropping to zero output - but it is damaging to NiMH to run them until they are drained. Especially so for low-self-discharge cells like Eneloops (completely draining them increases their self-discharge rate, eventually turning them into more like traditional NiMH).

This is why I stop the runs on Eneloops on all my tests before it reaches that point (i.e. I typically manually stop the run ~10% max output).

If I run a cell to zero output (as I do on Li-ion with protection circuits), you will see the graph actually drop to zero. You can see that on my reviews of lights that take Li-ions.

lovefenix

Newly Enlightened
Ok,i get it.So ,When do i know when to recharge the batteries before it reaches a very low voltage like 0,9V per cell?

When the light output reaches the bottom of the L.Won´t that be considered overdischarging and will hurt them?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ok,i get it.So ,When do i know when to recharge the batteries before it reaches a very low voltage like 0,9V per cell?

When the light output reaches the bottom of the L.Won´t that be considered overdischarging and will hurt them?
That sounds about right. To stop the cells before they drop below ~1V is a good idea, which would likely be somewhere shortly before the bottom part of the "L" on most lights (hard to know exactly, since I can't test the voltage under load very easily).

Basically, it's good to just periodically recharge the cells from time to time, before low output is reached (it doesn't hurt them). When the light begins to dim noticeably, that should be signal to definitely recharge now.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my E20 today and was quite eager to test out the beam pattern. I knew there will be donut hole when de-focusing the beam, but when I tighten the head for a tight beam, it still have a small black spot in the dead center of the hotspot (10-15 ft from wall). Is that normal for the Fenix E20?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I knew there will be donut hole when de-focusing the beam, but when I tighten the head for a tight beam, it still have a small black spot in the dead center of the hotspot (10-15 ft from wall). Is that normal for the Fenix E20?
No, it should focus to a tight spot with no the hole in the center. See the beam pics at the top of this review - if it doesn't look like that, then there is something wrong.

Either it is not screwing down all the way, or maybe there's a problem with the actual emitter? Take a close look to make sure there is no damage or debris stuck to the emitter dome.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tighten the head all the way down, it still have the dark spot.

that's odd, two other cpfers said they have the same dark spot in the center of the hot spot...

But I cannot see it when I am 1m away from the wall... I can see it when I am about 10-15 ft off the wall... can you check for me to confirm?... Thanks Selfbuilt.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
that's odd, two other cpfers said they have the same dark spot in the center of the hot spot... But I cannot see it when I am 1m away from the wall... I can see it when I am about 10-15 ft off the wall... can you check for me to confirm?... Thanks Selfbuilt.
Sorry, I no longer have the E20 to confirm. But I don't recall seeing a void in the center of my beam during testing (and I was looking at things 10-15 ft away with it). :shrug: Does loosening the head help any?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Do you know if I can use Li-Ion AA's in my E20?

I find that if my E20 is left on wide focus it is dim enough for any indoor task.

Well, yes and no. While all the above is true, I think its easy for us to forget just how bright LED lights have become. Frankly, I find this single-stage light way too bright for regular tasks around the house at night. I certainly wouldn't even consider it for up-close tasks like poking around inside a computer, looking under cupboards, etc - all tasks the original MiniMag became legendary for. Without a low mode, I'm afraid this light is relegated to mainly outdoor use. Simply put, it's more a replacement for 2- or 3-cell Mag than the MiniMag! :eek:oo:

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

I tighten the head all the way down, it still have the dark spot.

that's odd, two other cpfers said they have the same dark spot in the center of the hot spot...

But I cannot see it when I am 1m away from the wall... I can see it when I am about 10-15 ft off the wall... can you check for me to confirm?... Thanks Selfbuilt.

No dark spot unless I focus to flood rather than spot. The Spot is very nice.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
If you mean lithium AAs (i.e. energizer e2 lithium), then I see no reason why not. They should work fine and give your longer runtime.

If you mean rechargeable Li-ions (i.e. 14500) then the answer is no. None of the 2xAA lights can handle 2xLi-ion, and most of them (including the E20 to my knowledge) could not even handle 1xLi-ion.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If you mean lithium AAs (i.e. energizer e2 lithium), then I see no reason why not. They should work fine and give your longer runtime.

If you mean rechargeable Li-ions (i.e. 14500) then the answer is no. None of the 2xAA lights can handle 2xLi-ion, and most of them (including the E20 to my knowledge) could not even handle 1xLi-ion.

I did mean the 14500. I assumed since I could use the 10440 in my LD01 I could use the 14500 in my E20 to boost output. Good thing I asked!

Thanks!

pulstar

Enlightened
I don't know how the runtimes with rechargeables are always so much longer. I mean, let's say that capacity of rechargeable AA cell is around 1.9-2.1 mAh (eneloops), but duracell plus alkaline should be in the 2.3-2.8 mAh range. Why is runtime in this Fenix (or any other AA powered flashlight) longer with ni-mh cells?