Fenix Headband + Throw Light + ZebraLight Flood

psychbeat

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep- having a powerful HL seems like overkill until you try one!

have you been using the pure flood and throw beams at the same time?
how does it look?

the reason I ask is Im having a custom built (Ahorton) with 2 XP-G neutral floods
and a warm XM-L in a defocused aspheric. I plan on running both flood and spot
at once.

I usually have a dual XP-G 2.8a Linger Special ~4000k on my handle bars and
a Spark 460NW XM-L and the two beams together arent too distracting.
Ive done other combinations that havent had the beams play as nice together
and different colored hotspots poking out all around can get confusing etc.

varuscelli

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
have you been using the pure flood and throw beams at the same time?
how does it look?

Yeah, I have been playing with variations of one or both lights, but only for a couple of evenings now.

What I've been doing with the flood is angling it far enough downward that whatever is at my feet is visible either with peripheral vision or by glancing downward with my eyes (but not necessarily having to angle my head very far downward). See snake pic above for why I like to know what's at my feet... ;)

The flood plus throw lights together light up everything from the tips my toes on outward as far as I'd like to point the throw light into the distance. Of course, by angling the throw light downward I can also light up what's at my feet, but then I sacrifice distance -- so there are all kinds of variations in angling each light or turning one or the other on/off as needed.

But man...when I turned on that SC600 in turbo mode...wow. Of course, it can be in turbo only so long before heat becomes an issue, but for brief periods...again, wow. The turbo is so bright that it more or less blinds the eyes to what's lit by the flood, so it's possible for the power of the throw light to cancel out the benefit of the flood, in part -- at least with the lights I'm using (it's a balancing act to find the best combination of modes). Sometimes it's good to have both lights on, sometimes only one or the other.

Outdoorsman5

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...unfortunately, the ZebraLight SC600 doesn't fit in the Fenix Headband holder...

That is really disappointing, and sorry I thought it would fit. I was thinking the SC600 had similar dimensions of my SC60.

I like your set up with the H501 on the band as well. I have my H501w on the same band as my H51w, and like that set up quite a bit. I've been holding out on getting the SC600 because I mostly want the H600....will prolly end up with both though (like a good & respectable flashaholic should.)

varuscelli

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is really disappointing, and sorry I thought it would fit. I was thinking the SC600 had similar dimensions of my SC60.

I had the SC600 on the way to me regardless, so it wasn't as though my purchase of it hinged on whether it would fit the headband.

Still, it'll be convenient to blame Outdoorsman5 in any future conversations... :nana:

Really, though -- the SC600 is a heck of a light. I'm very impressed with it and glad I bought it (wouldn't reverse my decision on it other than to have perhaps purchased it sooner). Since a fellow CPF member was kind enough to let it go for $75, I felt I couldn't pass it up...although I'm really curious as to how the light from the soon-to-be-released SC600w version will look at 4200 K. After handling the SC600 for just a short while, I was pretty sure I had what should become a personally very favored light in my hands. Between the soft flood of the H501w and the versatility of the SC600, the two of those meet a very wide range of my personal needs, and each in a small package.

But back to the diameter question: the funny thing is that on the ZebraLight website the SC600 and SC60 are shown as having the same body diameter of 25.4 mm...but the SC600 in the side-by-side comparison from the ZebraLight site looks obviously larger in diameter (except for two skinny bands near the heat and tailcap). I've measured the diameter of the SC600 across the knurled part of the body and it is indeed right at 25.4 mm as stated by ZebraLight. But that makes me think that the SC60 is actually less than 25.4 mm in diameter across the body -- maybe closer to 23 or 24 mm, but I can only judge that visually.

Here's a shot from ZebraLight showing them side by side.

SC600SC60sizecomparison.jpg

Last edited:
Outdoorsman5

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the SC600 on the way to me regardless, so it wasn't as though my purchase of it hinged on whether it would fit the headband.

Still, it'll be convenient to blame Outdoorsman5 in any future conversations... :nana:

But back to the diameter question: the funny thing is that on the ZebraLight website the SC600 and SC60 are shown as having the same body diameter of 25.4 mm...but the SC600 in the side-by-side comparison from the ZebraLight site looks obviously larger in diameter (except for two skinny bands near the heat and tailcap). I've measured the diameter of the SC600 across the knurled part of the body and it is indeed right at 25.4 mm as stated by ZebraLight. But that makes me think that the SC60 is actually less than 25.4 mm in diameter across the body -- maybe closer to 23 or 24 mm, but I can only judge that visually.

Ha, love it, and I'll gladly accept any & all blame going forward.

Well dang, my olight M20, which is 25 mm (or .984") in diameter, fits in the headband....just not flush. It's a shame that just a fraction of a mm ruins this. Also, the zebralight website threw me off with the dimensions listed......strange that they did this. Looks like someone got in a hurry or somethin.

varuscelli

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a visual on what I get testing the SC600 with Fenix Headband clamp, here's a pic. But I still have the lockblock option, and that actually worked just fine. The lockblock makes the setup slightly bulker, but it adds only 10 grams of weight (great holding power for such a slight amount of extra weight). Interestingly, since the lockblock places the the light farther from my eye, it seems to reduce side glare a bit. I wear glasses, so side glare seems to occasionally come into play.

110815-006a.jpg

varuscelli

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, love it, and I'll gladly accept any & all blame going forward.

Ha! Thanks for taking it so well. Some folks might have invited me to step outside for further discussion. :twak: :D

Outdoorsman5

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! Thanks for taking it so well. Some folks might have invited me to step outside for further discussion. :twak: :D

I hear you...some folks take themselves too seriously around here & get their panties all up in a wad when someone doesn't share their opinion or pokes at em a little. Before & after I joined CPF I always liked those that were light-hearted & kept a good attitude even in the face of some with bad ones. All & all though, CPF is a great bunch of folks, and I can really relate to most of em.

varuscelli

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option might be the Olight T25 (210 lumens), which should be close to the right size but perhaps just over (and I'm not sure how hard and fast the 22mm limit is, but it could be the absolute limit). The latest T25 seems to be 22.8mm. I gave my dad an Olight T25 a couple of years back and I'll see if I can borrow it in a day or so and see it if will fit. I might not see him until this weekend, though.

As a follow-up to my own post, I tried the Olight T25 in the Fenix Headband and it fits in the clamp just fine with some room to spare. I measured the body diameter of the T25 where the clamp needs to fit, and with it's kind of squarish body the diameter varied from 18mm to 21mm, depending on where I placed the caliper.

110821-004.jpg

varuscelli

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, checking your thread, very helpful by the way, I find this other band, that I think is a little better, light weight and accepts much wider bodies...

http://nitecore.com/goods_detail.php?id=26

Thanks, Changchung, I appreciate the comments and the mention of the NiteCore headband. I like the NiteCore headband, too, but have not yet bought one. It seems to be quite versatile, especially with the top holders.

But, the side holders on the NiteCore headband don't seem capable of adjustment and I'm not sure how well it would perform with a light of heavier weight or size. I also wonder if a light that generated a lot of heat was used on the NiteCore headband (like the SC600 I'm occasionally using on the Fenix headband), the closeness to the head on the NiteCore loops might create an uncomfortable heat problem...but I'm just speculating about the possibility of any heat issue.

One of the advantages of the Fenix headband is that the side mounts can be adjusted to 36 positions for full 360-degree rotation (not possible with the side bands on the NiteCore headband). Where I find the side adjustment most useful is in the easy ability to angle the side lights downward to the exact position desired. It's also possible to point a light straight up to use as a ceiling bounce light (a flashlight like the SC600 will light an entire room that way off a white ceiling). It's not that often I'd need to do a ceiling bounce off a headband mounted light, but it's kind of nice to know that's one of the easy variations.

Being one of those visually oriented guys, here are some pics to show a few of the adjusted angles capable with the side holders. These shots actually show a NiteCore D10 in the Fenix headband holders.

110829-020.jpg

110829-021.jpg

110829-022.jpg

If I do this with the SC600 as shown below, it'll light an entire room indoors -- again, something I wouldn't need to do often, but a nice thing to know I can do if desired. Just another interesting variation the Fenix headband allows.​

110829-009.jpg

Last edited:
Outdoorsman5

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, checking your thread, very helpful by the way, I find this other band, that I think is a little better, light weight and accepts much wider bodies...

http://nitecore.com/goods_detail.php?id=26

I have a few of these headbands, and they work well. I used this headband for running, and it's very sturdy and does not bounce with lightweight lights. I would put a lightweight light (quark 123 or a quark AA or even a zebralight SC60) on top of my head, and there was no bouncing at all. Heavier lights can bounce & role over to one side or the other on top of your head, and work better on the side....although heavier lights placed on one of the sides will bounce around if running, but you really wouldn't want a big light in this rig for running.

Also worth mentioning - lights don't work well on the side of this headband because you cannot adjust the light up or down. Lights worn on top of your head can be slid forward to face down or slid backwards to face forward. Works pretty well.

I have since moved on to using a zebra H51 on a NiteIze headband that works the best & is very sturdy.

The NiteCore headband does not work well with the angled zebralights. You have to wear the nitecore headband off center for the H51 to line up well. I guess it would work ok, but looks goofy.

Last edited:
varuscelli

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the extra info on the NiteCore headband, Outdoorsman5 (and on the NiteIze headband as well).

It's good to hear this kind of stuff from an actual user of the item that's being discussed. I had wondered about what seems to be a sewn centerpiece on the NiteCore headband and I guess that's why you're saying the ZebraLight holder doesn't match up well with it. I'd still probably like to have one as an extra option, but never have been convinced that it was what I was looking for in terms meeting my particular needs.

On the one hand, the Fenix headband is kind of bulky with it's rather large holders, but the NiteCore band doesn't seem quite as versatile in some ways. Both seem to be pretty good depending on specific needs (as does the NiteIze version).

Outdoorsman5

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep I agree with you, and I am still looking for the perfect headband & light for running & camping. With the Nitecore headband, it only makes sense to put the ZL H51 in one of the side loops then pull it around front. The top strap blocks the light from getting centerred on your forehead which is the reason you have to turn the whole headband a little just to get the zebralight straight....again, it looks goofy this way.

When running, I like the ZL H51 combined with the NiteIze best because it doesn't bounce at all, but this set up is not great for camping. For camping I use the zebralight headband because I like to pull the headband down around my neck when in camp. The NiteIze headband is made out of nylon and is not stretchy. If you want to pull the NiteIze headband down around your neck requires you to adjust the velcro, but then you have to adjust it back when putting it back on your head.....kind of a pain, so I stick with the ZL headband when camping. I still bring the NitIze headband along just in case it's needed.

You can't comfortably pull the NiteCore headband down around your neck either, so I don't use it so much anymore. My kids still use them, and really like them.

The Fenix headband is a really good design. But in the end it is too bulky for me, and usually gets left behind. My son used it recently though with my Quark Turbo X rigged in it. Helped him scan for fish in our neighborhood lake.....he was pretty cool.

varuscelli

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep I agree with you, and I am still looking for the perfect headband & light for running & camping. With the Nitecore headband, it only makes sense to put the ZL H51 in one of the side loops then pull it around front. The top strap blocks the light from getting centerred on your forehead which is the reason you have to turn the whole headband a little just to get the zebralight straight....again, it looks goofy this way.

One option with the NiteCore headband might be to do something creative in mounting the ZebraLight holder to it. ZebraLight sells spare holders pretty cheaply...or you might have an extra as received with your headlamp...and I can think of two or three ways off hand that might work.

You might zip tie one in place with a couple of really thin and unobtrusive zip ties. One could probably be glued into place, too (although that would obviously be permanent). With a heavy needle you could probably sew one into place, even sewing it vertically around the end pieces that the band would normally slip through. Lots of folks are using magnet solutions, too (something powerful like a rare-earth magnet), but I think some folks might hesitate about keeping a powerful magnet right next to their brain. :ironic:

Actually, I like the sewing idea (looping along and around the vertical end pieces of the ZebraLight holder, not necessarily through the rubber of the holder) to make it really secure and not very noticeable at all, and you'd never feel something sewn against your forehead like you might feel zip ties or the like.

Outdoorsman5

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good suggestions V. The sewing idea may be the best one. If I used the zebralight holder then it would become bouncy again unless I were just walking. Sewing the light on would prolly be more sturdy and more comfortable.

varuscelli

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good suggestions V. The sewing idea may be the best one. If I used the zebralight holder then it would become bouncy again unless I were just walking. Sewing the light on would prolly be more sturdy and more comfortable.

I agree. It should be really easy to do, especially if you don't mind having the holder permanently attached. But if you have extra headbands and holders...hey, why not? :naughty:

M

my_crib_too

Newly Enlightened
If I do this with the SC600 as shown below, it'll light an entire room indoors -- again, something I wouldn't need to do often, but a nice thing to know I can do if desired. Just another interesting variation the Fenix headband allows.​

110829-009.jpg

Maybe one SC600 on each side of your head and a ZebraLight H600 in the middle. :ohgeez: