Fenix HL55 vs Nitecore HC90

drummer132132

Enlightened
Hey all,

I've been researching headlamps and have narrowed it down to the Fenix HL55 or the Nitecore HC90. Is there a particular one you all would recommend more than the other? Which would be the most comfortable? If I bought the HL55 but wanted a more comfortable headband would the Nitecore headband be better?

On a side note, whats the most comfortable way to wear a headlamp? Ball cap backwards?

Thanks

Crotulus

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've been using the HL55 in the field for the past week. It is a great lamp. Quite an upgrade over an old Petzl I have been using. I do have to say that this is not the most comfortable headlamp I've used. The plastic mount for the light is very hard. I tried a backwards ball cap but found it uncomfortable. You may have better luck with a fitted cap though. My solution in the end was to use a thin beenie just to get something between the lamp and my head. This worked very well, even with the warm temps I experienced in the past week.

I cannot comment on the Nitecore as I have not used one. I highly recommend the Fenix though. I was out with two others and they were both quite impressed with it. One even placed an order for their own unit.

drummer132132

Enlightened
I ended up going with the nitecore HC90 and really enjoying it thus far even though I just got it yesterday. One thing I'm curious about is the proper way to clean the headstrap that comes with it. What's the best option? Hand wash and air dry? I plan to use this for night walks/hiking so with the hiking I am going to be getting it wet through sweat.

On a side note what brand of beanie do you recommend? I've been trying to research something that's very breathable, light, and flexible but haven't come up with anything concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Crotulus

Newly Enlightened
On a side note what brand of beanie do you recommend? I've been trying to research something that's very breathable, light, and flexible but haven't come up with anything concrete.

I use a cheap generic beanie that I picked up at the local Army Surplus Store. It was only about $4.

CUL8R

Enlightened
If the front (usually Plastic) mounting plate is too hard or hurts your head, trying cutting a piece of moleskin to size and sticking it directly to the inside of the plastic. Huge difference! And no cap needed.

drummer132132

Enlightened
If the front (usually Plastic) mounting plate is too hard or hurts your head, trying cutting a piece of moleskin to size and sticking it directly to the inside of the plastic. Huge difference! And no cap needed.

I will have to give it a shot though I did find a beanie to use as a barrier but both might be a good thing as well.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the best option? Hand wash and air dry? I plan to use this for night walks/hiking so with the hiking I am going to be getting it wet through sweat.
You could even machine wash, just use a gentle cycle and cold water. A wool cold water program and some Nixwax baselayer washing product will probably do the trick. Washing it on 30 C degree regular program with regular cleaning product might also work just fine.

Any decent brand making good hiking or running gear will have a light and breathable beanie.