Fenix HM61R ticking all the boxes?

Wurkkos

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
yee-yee, i do have 2 units of the light. :clap:

and for work jobs i always have the nietcore tm15 with me. that retrieval job was exceptional; usually i wouldn't unclip the headlamp during work. but sure, if i had more work jobs like that, more frequently, i would take the 2nd unit with me as standalone light. good thinking there! :buttrock:
I tend to use work lights myself around a lot and it is very dark and I've become somewhat fond of COB work lights even though the output isn't necessarily the best tint the flood of decent light makes it a lot easier on the head as you can move your eyes instead of your head to see things. I'm constantly looking for interesting and useful work lights and for now my favorite is a $20 2x18650 COB/LED light that the COB rotates about 225 degrees and the light has adjustable output on both modes plus can operate as a power bank if needed. It has strong magnets that can on most metal surfaces can hold it perpendicular while you adjust the COB head.
Over all I think headlamps can do about 80% of the job but at times need a little "help" from other well chosen lights. I often walk around the place with a headlamp on to take the trash to the curb and check on things after a strong storm but at times you need light that isn't mounted on your head but in your hand.

While I like the idea of removable right angle headlamps I find that being easily able to do so presents a problem with having a sturdy holder for the headlamp. I have a Fenix HL50R and like it but wish it were the right angle version they have out now but when I bought it there wasn't that option and it was on clearance at Academy Sports I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get one half off..... about $40 for it costs about $10 more than my Wowtac, performs very close to the same as it essentially I keep it at home and use it for non rough service. I abuse the wowtac a lot and don't worry about it because I can get another one a lot cheaper than a Fenix one and prefer the UI and lack of (to me) useless unhidden red 5mm LED mode.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You Fenis.

i've been using the 'rear clip' (i.e. where i clip the tail section of the light) together with the fenis rubber strap. let's recall that the 'front clip' got broken off.
it's been fine like that. but today i undid the strap and then tried to unclip the tail section (single-handedly or not, caht remember, doesnt matter) and clack!, this clip broke off too:
img_20211024_160010pljf8.jpg

And i tried superglue, pattex classic, etc etc, no adhesive is suitable (one could try flaming or acetoning instead) to repair the clips:
img_20211024_155909zqjoa.jpg

Never mind the clips and repairing, the plastic material is just utter cr*p! :poop:
So, no!, i am not gonna use the plastic holder of my 2nd hm61r unit as replacement!!

From now on i'll keep using the nice headband w/ broken plastic holder, securing the light with the original rubber strap only. Let's see how that goes in the long run (stay tuned for updates). Since i doht go jogging with the headlamp, i expect the holder to still be functional and secure for my purposes (work, walks, no running). But my gosh Fenix why couldn't they have chosen a more durable plastic material and construction??

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
I just wonder if by you removing the headlamp with one hand was putting a force on those plastic clips in a direction they weren't designed to bend causing them to snap off?

Sometimes with semi rigid plastic all it takes is a push in the wrong direction and like you found out, they just snap right off.

I know the few times I remember removing the light from the holder I undid the rubber strap and pulled the light straight out while the headlamp was in my hands.
I can imagine if you're trying to remove the light while it's on your head you may not be pulling the light straight forward and are removing it at a slight angle.

You could keep one on your head at all times and use the one with the broken tabs as just a light for the times when you normally would have removed the light, you can just use the other one.

Otherwise you should contact Fenix and see if they'll get you a replacement.
I always say that it never hurts to ask.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my measurements are correct, then it'd mean that a smooth flat bottom could not make contact with the center contact disc, regardless of the brass donut:
img_20201016_133206rpkh8.jpg
i had forgotten that i had taken similar measurements before lol.

anyway, I retook measurements, more helpful ones:
img_20211026_1120439zj8c.jpg

From these new measurements the clearance is a generous 0.5mm. But also note that the distance between the raised parts is somewhat wide with 8.4mm:
img_20211026_112437wgjh7.jpg

It means that the diameter of the raised center section of your battery minus(-) pole must be wider than 8.4mm. For example, a diameter of 10.0mm would be safe enough, and we can assume that all (protected and unprotected) 18650 batteries with a raised minus(-) pole meet this requirement. Instead of taking measurements off of your battery, one can paint the raised center section with a whiteboard marker (whiteboard pen) and then rotate the battery inside the flashlight tube. From the remaining circle mark one can draw some conclusions about the safety of reverse battery insertion of that particular battery model (here: generic protected NCR18650B with button plus(+) pole and raised minus(-) pole):
anim200csh5jpo.gif

This also explains why some NCR18650B battery models with wide plus(+) poles don't work in the flashlight unless you insert a small magnet:
img_20211026_132651sgkg1.jpg

Your turn to guess which batteries work with or without magnets:
img_20211026_132750aaja3.jpg

Runtime graph.
The headlamp was also reviewed in some detail here including runtime graphs:
( NOTE: the blog author measured a "Quiescent Current (mA): 0.83" or 830μA. apparently his unit is defective since in the OP i had measured "4.48μA @ full 18650 battery (3.61μA @ depleted battery)". there is no way that any flashlight maker would accept the release of a flashlight model with ~1mA parasitic drain lmao!! )

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're trying to remove the light while it's on your head you may not be pulling the light straight forward and are removing it at a slight angle.
dito.

i was clipping'n unclipping at a slight angle. it was my way of clipping'n unclipping the light blindedly AND single-handedly. the unclipping at a slight angle broke the one clip and weeks later also the other clip.

I was unclipping carefully, slowly. Nevertheless it broke the clips.
Clearly, one must unclip (and clip) carefully and slowly straight forward!

Ah never mind. The rubber strap holds the light just fine against the broken plastic, secure enough for my purposes (frequent usage but with no running/jogging/jumping).

haro

Newly Enlightened
Thank You Fenis.

i've been using the 'rear clip' (i.e. where i clip the tail section of the light) together with the fenis rubber strap. let's recall that the 'front clip' got broken off.
it's been fine like that. but today i undid the strap and then tried to unclip the tail section (single-handedly or not, caht remember, doesnt matter) and clack!, this clip broke off too:
View attachment 18628

And i tried superglue, pattex classic, etc etc, no adhesive is suitable (one could try flaming or acetoning instead) to repair the clips:
View attachment 18629

Never mind the clips and repairing, the plastic material is just utter cr*p! :poop:
So, no!, i am not gonna use the plastic holder of my 2nd hm61r unit as replacement!!

From now on i'll keep using the nice headband w/ broken plastic holder, securing the light with the original rubber strap only. Let's see how that goes in the long run (stay tuned for updates). Since i doht go jogging with the headlamp, i expect the holder to still be functional and secure for my purposes (work, walks, no running). But my gosh Fenix why couldn't they have chosen a more durable plastic material and construction??

you may use also the clip from a Armytek Wizard C2 headband; see my foto below, this clip is avialable as spare part from Armytek
IMG_0645.jpg

is fits not 100%, also a O-ring about 30 mm diameter can be used for fastening

Latest posts