Fenix L0D-CE Comparison Review

thezman

Enlightened
What's the SOS speed and interval on this light. Is it slow and drawn out like on the P1DCE.

thezman

Enlightened
I thought this was a 5 level light, but you only mentioned 3 of them in this review. :whistle:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
thezman wrote: "I thought this was a 5 level light, but you only mentioned 3 of them in this review.
rolleye11.gif
"

Please read the instruction sheet in post #29 (link).

The 5 modes are Medium(default), Low, High, Strobe, SOS -
I have photographed and measured current draw for Medium, Low and High -

I would be very grateful for YOUR advice on how to still photograph, and take current draw readings (with a simple DMM) for the strobe and SOS modes
mad.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The L0D CE SOS has a pretty long pause between SOS groups but I think that's logical given how small the battery is, and given that it uses full brightness to send the pulses. It has to keep the overall duty cycle low enough that it can keep sending SOS all night long (say 8 hours) on one battery, so it can attract tramp steamers to your rescue while you sleep next to your beached shipwreck.

thezman

Enlightened
UnknownVT said:
thezman wrote: "I thought this was a 5 level light, but you only mentioned 3 of them in this review.
rolleye11.gif
"

Please read the instruction sheet in post #29 (link).

The 5 modes are Medium(default), Low, High, Strobe, SOS -
I have photographed and measured current draw for Medium, Low and High -

I would be very grateful for YOUR advice on how to still photograph, and take current draw readings (with a simple DMM) for the strobe and SOS modes
mad.gif

I never asked you to do that. I asked about the interval on the SOS mode.(post #61)
It seems the interval on the SOS mode on the P1DCE was too long and I wanted to know if this light had the same spacing.
Post #62 was just a playful jab to get your attention. :)

The instruction sheet on page 29 does not mention the SOS interval time.

And thank you paulr for answering my simple question.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
thezman wrote: "I never asked you to do that. I asked about the interval on the SOS mode.(post #61)
Post #62 was just a playful jab to get your attention.
smile.gif

The instruction sheet on page 29 does not mention the SOS interval time."

I saw your Post #62 as a separate post to your post #61 -
I was replying to your post #62 which had NOTHING referencing the SOS question - and quoted your post #62 to be clear.

- one can easily edit any of one's own posts to add comments/addendums so that they are obviously related.

Unless there is a quote or some reference -
I can't tell (or assume) a separate post is related.

thezman

Enlightened
Well I'm just going to have to add more of these :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: to my posts.

I was on a quest for information that wasn't included on the review and meant no ill will towards anyone. :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

BrightGal

Banned
thezman said:
Well I'm just going to have to add more of these :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: to my posts.

I was on a quest for information that wasn't included on the review and meant no ill will towards anyone. :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

Thanks thezman; that's what we wanted to hear.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
The SOS mode of the L0D CE uses high power, as can be seen by shaking the light up and down in SOS mode and not seeing multiple images from the PWM. The strobe mode is sort of similar, flashing on and off at maybe 30% duty cycle(?). The strobe pulses are way too long to freeze action like a real strobe light. The PWM modes actually do a lot better for that.

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
I just got my L0D-CE today in the mail and it is totally awesome--I can't stop playing with it!:grin2: I'm using Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables, so therefore I can play with it as much as I want and not feel guilty!:laughing:

I'm very impressed with this little light. The machining and the hard anodize are both very good. I love the split ring design that allows it to stand on its tail. The user interface is super easy to use and it works well using it one-handed. Fenix definitely has a winner on their hands. I like this light much better than the Arc AAA-P that I use to own (not saying the Arc is a bad light) and they are both about the same price.

Thank you UnknownVT for the excellent review, you did indeed push me over the edge. Thanks to 4sevens as well for excellent service. I am now anxiously awaiting my L1D-CE.:popcorn:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Has anyone compared the real world throw of this little giant on high level to any other lights of similar output? Of course you have. I'm trying to imagine how well it will work in my backyard. Does it have more punch that a Civictor (probably) or a 3AA MiniMag for example? Thanks.

Geoff

paulr

Flashaholic
As I remember the Civictor is pretty similar to the L1p, or just a little bit dimmer. I compared the L0D CE with my L1p and I'd say the lumen outputs were pretty similar but the L1P having a tighter beam and therefore more throw. The difference is not gigantic though. The L0D CE certainly beats the pants off the 1 watt Luxeons that were highly sought after a couple of years ago.

I will say that the L0D CE's throw is pretty much stomped by the PT Tec 40, a 4AA halogen light with a mid-sized reflector that's probably about 20 times the size of the L0D CE. Again the Tec 40 doesn't vastly outclass the L0D's lumen output, but it's beam is much more controlled by the big reflector.

I think the L0D's beam is just fine. Even in my well-lit urban neighborhood it easily makes a visible lit-up area on a building across the street, something a 5mm led has no hope of doing. It is probably enough to make out a house number from the curb in the suburbs on a dark night, maybe one of the more common situations that calls for a small light with a lot of throw. If I were delivering pizzas and had to do this all the time though, I'd bring a bigger light.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my L0D CE today. I was initially quite impressed but a little less so after it got dark.

Beam:
Mine has a very wide hotspot about double the width of my L1P. Wider than my L0P SE. Wider than a SMJLED/Gelbrite with a faceted reflector. One of the reasons I got the L0D CE was for the brighter spill but the wide hotspot makes me less reliant on the spill.
The spill is not as even as I hoped. It feels brighter towards the edges and dimmer towards the center just outside the hotspot. The transition is fairly smooth and the dimmer center is mild - not a strong dark ring like my Fenix E1. Not noticable unless I am 'white wall hunting' but all the walls in my flat have off white walls. Thought it was an optical illusion at first, but when I tilt the light at close range I can move the dark area outside the hotspot.
Overall the beam pattern is not bad. I guess I got spoiled by the near perfect beam pattern of my L1P/L0P SE/Gelbrite/My Little Friend.

Brightness:
On the same setting, all levels are clearly brighter than my L0P SE. It is hard to compare different levels - L0D CE medium to L0P SE high - the hotspot of the L0P SE is brighter but the spill of the L0D CE is brighter. Ditto L0D CE against my L1P.
I felt my L0P SE a little dim on the default setting, wanted a brighter light and the L0D CE delivers.

Tint:
Not as yellow as my L1P/L0P SE but not the blue white of non Luxeon LEDs. Only slightly cooler than my My Little Friend (TWOJ)*** so I guess 'XO' tint. I think Cree calls it 'WD'.

Other things:
I found out the hard waythe L0P SE low is too bright for discreet reading of menus in restautants and programmes at concerts. The L0D CE will be worse.
Strobe is annoying.
SOS is too slow.

The L0D CE will be my goto EDC (not in my pocket yet, still playing with it).
The L0P SE will be backup on my backup keychain.
The UK 2AAA eLED is my main keychain tag. It is easier to reach for it than to fumble for my keys. And it is my last resort all night light.

*** Wayne let it slip he had TWOJ at the beginning of last year and TXOJ toward the end of the year. So I guess I got TWOJ in my MLF and recent purchasers got TXOJ. That is why manufacturers never commit to any bin - they never know what they will get next.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT, do you have a standard L0D to take measurement of the current on all levels with 10440? After some reading on Li-Ion cells, a saw a lot that most of them are rated for a 2C maximum discharge current. I contacted AW about the cells I bought from him and he said 600 mA MAX. As with your readings on the L0D-CE, primary and low levels are within the range but the high level is more around 3C/4C which should be way too much. Based on this, the L0D-CE (and probably the L0D too) on 10440 is a primary/low light with high beeing for very short bursts (I would say under 1-2 minutes) and not too often. Can anyone comment more on this?

BrightGal

Banned
I've heard of this 2C Max discharge rate before. But, something puzzles me. When the RAW (from Orb Flashlights) first came out, it was a direct drive and ran on high only; this light must have as high or even a higher discharge rate than the L0D CE on high. Yet, I have never heard of a RAW owner having battery problems.

Where is this Max 2C discharge coming from besides AW?

paulr

Flashaholic
The Orb uses an RCR2 which has about 2x the capacity of a 10440, I thought.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
WildChild wrote: "UnknownVT, do you have a standard L0D to take measurement of the current on all levels with 10440?"

I do not have a L0D.

But I do have a Fenix L0P-SE Special (link) with LuxIII UWAJ mod

I measured the current with 2 separate 10440's
Open-Circuit = 3.98V and 4.13V - currents were the same -
Medium = 0.38A
Low = 0.17A
High = 1.10A

These readings of my Fenix L0P-SE Special seem basically the same as those of the L0D-CE as in Post #14

WildChild wrote: "After some reading on Li-Ion cells, a saw a lot that most of them are rated for a 2C maximum discharge current. I contacted AW about the cells I bought from him and he said 600 mA MAX. As with your readings on the L0D-CE, primary and low levels are within the range but the high level is more around 3C/4C which should be way too much."

On High this L0P-SE special the current would also seem too much.
The two 10440's I have (on loan) are 320mAh capacity - so the current draw on High is close to 3.4C

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
BrightGal said:
I've heard of this 2C Max discharge rate before. But, something puzzles me. When the RAW (from Orb Flashlights) first came out, it was a direct drive and ran on high only; this light must have as high or even a higher discharge rate than the L0D CE on high. Yet, I have never heard of a RAW owner having battery problems.

Where is this Max 2C discharge coming from besides AW?

It always depend of the cell but 2C seems the average I saw at many places. A 10440 datasheet (powerizer) I found gives a ~700 mA max discharge rate.

Also, see this post from Newbie:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1258756&postcount=15

[EDIT]
On my L0D with 10440 (I managed to insert the leads of my DMM to measure current):

Open voltage: 3.96V
Capacity: 320mAh

Primary: 0.42A
Low: 0.18A
High: 1.23A (Way over the usual 2C MAX rating of 10440 cells)
[/EDIT]

Last edited: