Fenix L1/L1P 1st impressions - please post here

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haesslich said:
Given that the L1+ was a limited edition thing, from what I recall, and is no longer in production... I doubt he'll have any of those in stock. :D They were superceded by the L1 2.0 and 2.5, IIRC.

Ahhh... so, are any L1 2.5s coming down the pike?

I'm sure I'll almost always carry the L1P 2.5 for brightness, but in true CPF fashion, I'd like to have a similar yet different light and I'd prefer something other than black for the 'other' one.

Also, what are the differences between the L1 2.0 and L1 2.5?

bucken

Enlightened
4sevens said:
By the way,
I have a huge batch coming that I'll sell on BST :) Imagine quantity in 4 digits!!

:)

4sevens,

Will you still be good for this buy before Christmas? I noticed that another recent group buy kind of fell through.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
bucken said:
4sevens,

Will you still be good for this buy before Christmas? I noticed that another recent group buy kind of fell through.

Yes, there will be plenty for the season :) I'm waiting for them to arrive
before I post to make them available. These will be shipped with delivery
confirmation from the US to minimize the order to delivery time.

Please hold your questions until then.
Let's resume this thread on "impressions" :D :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pizzaman

Enlightened
Mine just arrived!!!

What an amazing looking flashlight. I carefully removed the bottom cap and inserted a fresh AA. I gently clicked the switch.... and clicked.... and clicked...NO JOY!!!
rant.gif

I checked the switch for looseness. Nope, snug. Turning this baby around I snugged up the head.... Eureka!!!
buttrock.gif

Wow! Bright! White! Hotspot! Spill! Small! AA batts! Sexy!!!

I am in love. My quest for an EDC has ended (for now).

I can't wait to get my ARC-P AAA (on the perpetual waiting list), to create my ultimate personal photon arsenal.

Arc on the keychain.
Fenix in the pocket.
A2 on the belt.
Flashlight heaven
smile.gif

TR (I get it now).

Ben H

Enlightened
Just got mine today. All I can say is thanks Fenix! This flashlight is just right. Sure there could be improvements, but for $50 I am very satisfied. I've heard several people say this is their new go-to light and I would have to agree. It's small, bright, cheap to power, durable, waterproof, and only $50. Well done Fenix!

TOB9595

Enlightened
I've had the Fenix L1, V2.5 for a couple of days.
WOW!!!!!
What a light.
I would only wish for a clip and anti roll edges...
BUT PERFECT!...
Here's a bunch of light beam pics including the Fenix at distance.
Tom

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
Finally received my long awaited Fenix! Now I can experience first hand what I've been reading about for the past few weeks. First impression is that it looks like a cross between the Inova T1 and Inova X5. Mainly the knurling on the tailcap is similar to the T1's and the flat sides are like the X5's. I'd say that on alkalines it's about as bright as my Q3 running on standard 123 cells, and it has a wider spillbeam and smaller and more defined hotspot. Fit and finish are top notch and so far none of the minor glitches that I've read about have cropped up. All in all a terrific light that I'll be giving as gifts this Christmas season.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Between myself and fellow member Owen we now have 4 total of the Fenix LIP v2.5 lights. I can say these are very consistent lights with all being very bright and having artifact free beams. Fenix has made the must have light of the year and I am very impressed with this first offering by them. Makes me wonder if they plan to make a 3 watt or even other versions such as a 123 powered light. If they do something tells me that all others will have some major competition as these guys seem to know what they are doing as far as lights go.
I noticed that the tolerances of these lights is very well done and sometimes even a small bit of looseness will keep the light from working. Mine did not fire the first time and I simply tightened the head a small bit and it has worked perfect ever since.
I honestly thought all the hype was just wishful thinking and no way was this little AA light going to be as bright as my QIII....man was I suprised as it is actually a close contest between the two lights with the QIII using a standard 123 cell.
I can only imagine that Fenix has developed a following already as this light is truly one of the best new products I have seen in a long time. Thanks to Fenix for raising the bar ever higher and the future looks good for this company.
I was able to remove the internals from both of mine as I simply wished to have easy access for future changes. These were very hard to take apart however once loose they can be opened at will however I really do not see any reason to change them. I would like to have the option of swapping out the factory circuit any time I wish as I feel there will be many who make future mods for this light.
The reflector is very well done and I have played around with it using other luxeons and circuits. I have a FF2 with a TXOJ sandwich and this reflector looks better using that sandwich than it does with the IMS reflector. I also placed it on my 3 watt Pelican M3 and once again it looked incredible.
All in all I feel this light to be one of the better bargains I have purchased recently and I look forward to future offerings from Fenix. I think the consistency of the QIIIs performance,as well as cost, was one of the things that made it stand out from the others. The Fenix has duplicated that performance and has gave us all an incredible performer at a fair cost....what else could anyone ask for in a light?....great job Fenix

On a side not does anyone feel that Fenix will follow with other versions of lights? I would like to see what they can do with the AAA size light and also maybe a CR2 or the ever popular 123 cell.

freedom

Newly Enlightened
I love my L1P. Everything is great including brightness, size, battery type and coating, etc. It would be even better if the reflector is made perfectly smooth and the contact surfaces are clean. I foundd my light dimmed without obvious reason first and later confirmed to be having dirty contact surfaces between the different parts.

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
I just got my L1P today. Love it. It has a doughnut hole in the middle. I know this is common with the 5w luxeon....
It shows up within 4".

Anyone else have this?

I have read quite a few posts so far but nothing but perfect beams.

Thanks

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
jollytoker420 said:
I just got my L1P today...has a doughnut hole...within 4"...
Many lights have doughnut patterns at extremely close ranges. My Peak Caribbean does at 1", and even my HDS does at 1/2". My L1P did at a few inches.

This isn't really an issue since you normally don't use a 30+ lumen light a few inches from target -- it's just too bright.

By contrast the doughnut pattern on my U2 was severe and obvious even at 30 feet distance.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I broke down and ordered one today. I haven't bought a new flashlight in a while :D so I'll have some first impressions next week sometime, it sure doesn't sound like I'll be disappointed.

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
joema said:
This isn't really an issue since you normally don't use a 30+ lumen light a few inches from target -- it's just too bright.

Actually, I don't know if anyone else has done this but I have used my L2 and QIII to "cheat" at the dark side. Burger King had those scratch off game pieces to win free food, well LED light would show me the text. 75W halogen, fluorescent, 60w incandescent, etc wouldn't help. I "won" every time. That is an example of using 100 lumens up close and personal to do my dirty work! :)

Thanks for the link. I haven't seen that one.

I was just making sure that I didn't have a defective model. I wasn't aware of the doughnut pattern in less than 5w. I have a 0.5w RR headlight that really doesn't have it. This is my first Lux1. It is an amazing light!!

Thanks again guys!

Kevin K

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today, very nice. Great hotspot, good sidespill. Very white with a very tiny bit of blue tint. The machining looks very good. The circular rings around the reflector are there but I can't see them unless I use a magnifying glass. No dust at all on lens or reflector. Thanks 4sevens.:wow:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Fenix L1 would be great with a AA 3.7V Li-ion and a 5 watt Luxeon. It can be done, because I have the circuit that will do it. half an hour run time per charge. Slightly underdriven for most of the runtime.