Fenix L1D-CE Comparison Review

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
Badbeams3 said:
Camping tonight? You know there`s a freeze warning out for much of Florida...brrr.

Yeah...I just got back and nearly froze to death last night; it was SOOO cold!

I did get to use my L1D-CE and this little thing rocks! It is a powerhouse for being so small and using a AA cell. We played "capture the flag" until about 2 AM and the light is still going stong on a Sanyo 2200 mAh rechargable.

A STRONG word of CAUTION to those of you refocusing the beam. I did so initially and decided it wasn't for me, so I twisted it back to how it comes stock, but didn't ensure that it was that tight. While we were playing games at night, I kept inadvertently twisting the wrong part of the bezel when I wanted to switch between high and low. I found out in the morning when I went to clean off my mildly dirty light that the reflector had come loose and wasn't holding the glass firmly against the o-ring and as a result I got a little bit of H2O in my light...argh! I have fixed the problem and don't forsee it happening again, but please be careful when adjusting the focus.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ralls wrote: "A STRONG word of CAUTION to those of you refocusing the beam. I did so initially and decided it wasn't for me, so I twisted it back to how it comes stock, but didn't ensure that it was that tight. While we were playing games at night, I kept inadvertently twisting the wrong part of the bezel when I wanted to switch between high and low. I found out in the morning when I went to clean off my mildly dirty light that the reflector had come loose and wasn't holding the glass firmly against the o-ring and as a result I got a little bit of H2O in my light...argh! I have fixed the problem and don't forsee it happening again, but please be careful when adjusting the focus."

Worthwhile considering this advice.

Although my samples of one each - L1Dce and L2Dce - are very tight due to the thick O-ring - I have to use two hands to do any refocussing and even then often I end up changing modes(!)
faint.gif

To keep a refocus position might want to consider LocTite or gluing the head in place.

ltanzil

Newly Enlightened
Did any body know what is the bin type of the cree XR-E being use in the L1D-CE?

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
scuse me for this basic question, but what is the runtime and regulation of the L1D CE with one 14500 3,7 volt rechargeable cell ?

Regards

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
zerafull said:
scuse me for this basic question, but what is the runtime and regulation of the L1D CE with one 14500 3,7 volt rechargeable cell ?

You're timing is about perfect.....

Please look at this excellent thread by chevrofreak -

Fenix L2D CE and L1D CE runtime graphs

The 14500 runtimes are currently the last 3 graphs in his first/opening post.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got this in the email reviews from the "Cool Tools" website:

"As a flashlight enthusiast, I review many lights on CandlePowerForums.com, a site for "flashaholics." So I'm often asked which flashlight I reach for the most. My answer: the Fenix L1D-CE"

That you?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got this in the email reviews from the "Cool Tools" website:
"As a flashlight enthusiast, I review many lights on CandlePowerForums.com, a site for "flashaholics." So I'm often asked which flashlight I reach for the most. My answer: the Fenix L1D-CE"
That you?

Guilty as charged....

....but I'd like the following mitigating circumstances to be taken into consideration........:eek:

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
Does the light remember what mode it was in when you turned it off, or does it default to low? Thanks

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the light remember what mode it was in when you turned it off, or does it default to low? Thanks

No, it does not have a memory function - the modes are fixed (which I like since the flashlight is then consistent and predictable).

These are the modes for the plain (P4) L1D-CE -
works the same way for all the Fenix "D"igital series (just the lumens output, and runtimes vary by model) -

Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel (patented)
General Mode: 9 lumens (25hrs) -> 40 lumens (5hrs) -> 80 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 90 lumens (1.5hrs) -> Strobe

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) So do most of you feel the low is low enough? I've read so many previous remarks about fenix lights with lows that aren't low enough. maybe this was with previous models only.

2) is the olive color a light green like the one demo on you tube?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I would give it a lower low and get rid of the initial flash when firing it up. But, it's still a very nice light.

Geoff

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) So do most of you feel the low is low enough? I've read so many previous remarks about fenix lights with lows that aren't low enough. maybe this was with previous models only.

I believe the Fenix L1, L2 and P2 D(igital) series use the same electronics circuit -
ie: heads of L1D = L2D = P2D -
only the LED emitter varies (eg: Q5, P4 Rebel80, R100 etc)

The light output levels changes with the emitter.

Since this is the original P4 Cree Edition - the Q5 and Rebel editions are brighter - including the lowest levels.

L1D-Q5
General Mode: 12 lumens (25hrs) -> 53 lumens (5hrs) -> 107 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 120 lumens (1.5hrs) -> Strobe

compared with original L1D-CE (P4)
General Mode: 9 lumens (25hrs) -> 40 lumens (5hrs) -> 80 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 90 lumens (1.5hrs) -> Strobe

So the lowest level on the CE = 9 lumens and Q5 = 12 lumens (brighter, gain of 3 lumens) but with the same spec'd runtime.

FWIW - anecdotally - I have NiteCore D10 (and NiteCore EX10 ) on hand - and I set the user adjustable level for normal around the house use - I go up from the minimum which is spec'd at 3 lumens on primary batteries (seems lower from my reviews) until I feel the light seems to "jump" in brightness to my eyes (purely subjective) - then I go back down and up until I feel I got just that "jump" in brightness.

Strangely enough this level is about the same as the original L1D-CE (P4) lowest level (spec'd at 9 lumens) - I had EDC'd the L1D for a long time and use it around the house mostly on the lowest level.

So although I still critique the Fenix series for not having a really low low level - their low level is actually pretty useful practically for my real usage.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for your answers guys. I am interested in the L1D-CE because of its UI but I do notice its not on the favorite list for 2008 on CPF Reviews. All the L1D-CE needs is a few tweaks like getting rid of the initial flash, lower low, more concentric battery bore machining, and it would be perfect for me.