Fenix L2D CE

Luminescene

Newly Enlightened
Nic said:
The Cree LED in the L2D CE seems to be recessed below the level of the reflector, unlike the luxeon LED in the standard version, which seem to be about level with the reflector. The beam width is narrower because of this and rings appear in the beam. The rings are noticeable, but not too annoying in normal use.

I noticed this too, if you refocus by unscrewing the reflector a little then it is even lower! The cree has a metal ring around it holding the dome lens on, you can see this if you remove the reflector, and so prevents the reflector from sitting lower, unless the reflector was much larger diameter and went round this ring. So I guess this is inevitable in a small torch. If you look at the cree running without the reflector you see a yellow colour tint at low angles. With the reflector you see this colour round the edge of the spill beam at very close range, so the reflector is catching some of this light, but not all.

cerbie

Enlightened
I got mine today (shipped 3/21). Exceptionally ringy, even not on white walls. I didn't find the head difficult to take apart, so changed the focusing for a bit, and got it better, but it's still not exactly a lovely beam; but I think I'll just make it fuzzy. I've also already got nicks in the anodizing (it looks thick, so maybe it's crappy aluminum, not crappy HA?)!

I'd generally recommend the L2 over the L1, too. While it may not be too purty, it's actually quite comfy with the varying tube diameters, and knurling right where my fingers rest, and it makes it easy to move round with one hand, so going back to the switch to change modes and then going to a pen grip to point the light is easy. Of course it's not really short enough to be pocketable, if that's a major concern.

For a Chinese light, and the price, it's certainly fantastic, and should serve me well for some time. However, between the bit of aluminum showing (my Arc-P has survived being accidently thrown onto concrete without a scratch, and this just barely tapped the head of some pliers!), the switch, coming with a reflector that needs adjustment, etc., I can't just shower it with praise. The toy mode (strobe) also drives me nuts. Tanstaafl.

As far as the beam, I'm thinking my initial desire for a diffuser was on the money--it's bright enough and then some at all levels, and works great outside, so throw be damned. Of course, now I have to take it apart AGAIN, because I didn't measure the lens the first time. :ohgeez:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my L2D-CE today that I got on B/S/T and I am a happy camper. It gives so much light from a small package. I'm going out for a walk now that it's dark. I don't think the rings will ever bother me in real-world usage. This will be a great camping/backpacking light.

sims2k

Enlightened
Got my L2D-CE last week and I am very impressed with the amount of light coming from a small package. I wish the tube is bigger...something like the SF L2 that I also have. But I just love the low and turbo mode...since I use both modes at work.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I showed my to some people at work and one said how come so much light come out
of such a small package, another person replied this is brighter than my 6 volt Dolpin

L.E.D.

Enlightened
How does one go about changing the tailswitch rubber cover if it in fact DOES break? By the way, also hearing about insane Luxeon LED's (Rebel) which may turn the tables once again. Is this truly another obsoleting event within just a few months of the Cree' LED's debut?? Wow, now illumination technology will start skipping ahead like computers did awhile back. After all, I read a claim on here that the maximum quantum efficiency would be around *400 lm/w. Would be interesting to see a 5D LED flashlight making car headlights look dim, or a 1AA LED light making a 5D incandescent dim... LOL

*(400 lm/w is a theoretical number assuming battery power applied only considering no added matter to energy conversions / other)

Last edited:

Gator762

Enlightened
I just got my L2D body for my L1D CE about an hour ago! :rock:

Wow this sucker is unbelieveably bright for two AA NiMH cells.

LOL at the new Luxeon - I can imagine the day when we'll be looking at our L2D like it's obsolete because we'll get 1000 lumens for hours out of a single AA cell.

cerbie

Enlightened
There are two pits in the inside of the tail cap. Use needle-nose pliers or something to use them to unscrew that washer piece. There will then be a normal washer, a switch assembly, and the switch cover.

Who knows, as far as what's ahead (OK, who that isn't under an NDA knows)? Something will come out and beat the Cree lights. It'll be nice if it's Philips, as their warm tints look really nice to my eye. For some time, you can be garuanteed that something will be around the corner to beat what you have in performance. Whether it obsoletes it is a matter of opinion and need. But don't worry, Fenix will be fast to market with one of those New Shiney Things™, too.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
Got my L2D-CE today. I'm in love. Had to dust off the Ni-MH rechargeables before putting the light through its paces. I've got it on medium now, tail-standing on my computer desk as a lamp.

Build quality on mine is good - no loose threads, and the output is not 'ringy' at all - just hotspot + flood. Light is a clean & elegant white, even on the low settings. You can't go wrong with this light. Amazing how many lumens this little thing can kick out on the turbo setting. These new LED lights are mighty mites.

{EDIT} Just wanted to add, this would make an excellent 'emergency' light to have stashed in the house. The low output is amazing.. a useful amount of light, and you get close to 60 hours of light on low, even using alkaline batteries. The high mode kicks, but low is the best 'bang-for-the-buck' (or watt) and it's where the LED operates most efficiently

Last edited:

vic2367

Enlightened
newbie here,,,put in a rechargeable 14500 3.7 v battery in my l2d-ce ,,,after about 5 mins of continuas use my rubber tailcap blows up like a baloon ,,,is this because of the 3.7 v ? this is a great like by the way,,,ive had mine for about 3 weeks ,,,its my go to /edc light right now,,

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
vic2367 said:
newbie here,,,put in a rechargeable 14500 3.7 v battery in my l2d-ce ,,,after about 5 mins of continuas use my rubber tailcap blows up like a baloon ,,,is this because of the 3.7 v ? this is a great like by the way,,,ive had mine for about 3 weeks ,,,its my go to /edc light right now,,

You used 1 14500? What did you use to fill up the other space?