Fenix L2D CE

PAB

Enlightened
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
214
Location
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
Lobo said:
But does it increase the the total life? Don't really see much point in retaining the charge in a rechargable, just recharge before the next time you use it?:huh2:

Sorry for the thread jacking.
Not everyone has the time to recharge batteries before use. Especially in, say, a power outage. So they get in the habit of putting batteries in cold storage. Maybe with some alkaline batteries, or mabye not.
 

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Messages
786
Location
Brisbane, Australia
TORCH_BOY said:
Just placed an order for a L2D CE, I have already grown to like the feel of the L2T
Who'd you put the order with, torchworld by any chance? He's saying "sold out" on the L0D CE, L1D CE and L2D CE, which I just assume means "not in stock yet".
 

coppertrail

Enlightened
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
920
I pre-ordered both the L0D CE and L2D CE from Fenix-Store. The site says they'll be in stock on Jan. 26th.

I emailed Fenix asking for the input voltages of these lights. They responded with the following information:

L0D CE: .8V - 3.6V
L2D CD: .8V - 4.0V
 

paulr

Flashaholic
Joined
Mar 29, 2003
Messages
10,832
I've always heard batteries should be stored in the fridge, but above freezing temperature.
 

coppertrail

Enlightened
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
920
From the Duracell NiMH Cell Information PDF document:

"The recommended temperature range for
long term storage of nickel-metal hydride batteries is
10°C to 30°C (50°F to 86°F)."

Thus, I store my cells in the refrigerator.
 

curtis22

Enlightened
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
201
coppertrail said:
From the Duracell NiMH Cell Information PDF document:

"The recommended temperature range for
long term storage of nickel-metal hydride batteries is
10°C to 30°C (50°F to 86°F)."

Thus, I store my cells in the refrigerator.

My refrigerator doesn't get that warm.
 

coppertrail

Enlightened
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
920
This is their recommended temperature range, mine doesn't get this warm either. Based on this information, I choose not to freeze them. I'm not saying that freezing them will harm the cells, I just choose to stay "close" to their recommendations.
 

adnj

Enlightened
Joined
Aug 13, 2006
Messages
699
coppertrail said:
From the Duracell NiMH Cell Information PDF document:

"The recommended temperature range for
long term storage of nickel-metal hydride batteries is
10°C to 30°C (50°F to 86°F)."

Thus, I store my cells in the refrigerator.

The typical, new refrigerator is calibrated to 37 deg F; the freezer is at 0 (ZERO) deg F

The 50 to 86 deg F is room temp. Store them on a shelf in the basement (average is 64 to 74 degrees year round).
 

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
131
Location
Houston
1 L2D-CE ordered! :clap: Hope I enjoy it as much as I have my L2T...And way, way, way, more than my Mag 3aa led. I held out on the P1D-CE in hopes of this model - Though I admit I was almost to the point of giving in and I had resigned myself to accepting the clickie-less, medium-high-low-strobe-sos set up of it and figured the L2D-CE would be the same. I don't know about anyone else but for $50 I think this general and turbo mode set up is pure genius! It'll be perfect for my application. Thanks 4sevens!
 

Schizoid1

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
19
I was planning on getting the L2D CE, but after carrying around an Inova X1 for a week, I decided I liked the 1xAA size and would carry the L1D CE a lot more. I'm betting someone will offer a nice 2xAA tube option for when you want a little more, assuming that's possible.
 

InfidelCastro

Banned
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
2,266
Location
USA
Lobo said:
Total noobquestion here, but why do you store them in the freezer?


After charging, if I'm not going to use them for awhile I put NIMH batteries in the freezer because they retain their charge like eneloops or primaries. The freezer slows down the battery chemistry. When I'm going to use the batteries, I take them out of the freezer and try to let them achieve room temperature before use for best performance and to keep moisture from forming on the light.


Back on the subject of the L2P and L2T body. It seems like most people do prefer the L2T body as I do. Some people who buy them for reasons other than actually using them seem to like the L2P body style. I've had the experience of using both styles at work and the L2T style is much, much better in actual usage.
 

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
230
Location
Graham, WA
PAB said:
Batteries retain their charge longer when in cold storage.

Consumer Reports tested this theory a while back. They found that this is, in fact, a myth.

Batteries do not retain their charge longer when in cold storage. There is no need to put them in the freezer.
 

InfidelCastro

Banned
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
2,266
Location
USA
GrnXnham said:
Consumer Reports tested this theory a while back. They found that this is, in fact, a myth.

Batteries do not retain their charge longer when in cold storage. There is no need to put them in the freezer.


This is probably the case with alkaline primaries. Or at least, it probably makes so little of a difference, that it's not worth bothering with. I don't know about alkaline rechargeables.

But this is definately not the case with NIMH rechargeables. To prove this point further, even though it's well known, I just removed two 2500mA Sony NIMH AA batteries and two Energizer NIMH AA batteries from the freezer that were charged up and put away.

They have been in there since at least November, possibly even since before Halloween. The voltage readings were 1.39V for the Sony's and 1.37V for the Energizers. I'm pretty sure they were removed from the freezer and thawed to room temperature once during that period to clean the freezer out. You would not see those readings from NIMH AA batteries that had been laying around a dresser drawer for several months. My freezer is not even that cold, the fridge is a cheapy with a thin plastic spacer between it and the fridge part.
 
Last edited:

coppertrail

Enlightened
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
920
InfidelCastro said:
This is probably the case with alkaline primaries. Or at least, it probably makes so little of a difference, that it's not worth bothering with. I don't know about alkaline rechargeables.

But this is definately not the case with NIMH rechargeables. To prove this point further, even though it's well known, I just removed two 2500mA Sony NIMH AA batteries and two Energizer NIMH AA batteries from the freezer that were charged up and put away.

They have been in there since at least November, possibly even since before Halloween. The voltage readings were 1.39V for the Sony's and 1.37V for the Energizers. I'm pretty sure they were removed from the freezer and thawed to room temperature once during that period to clean the freezer out. You would not see those readings from NIMH AA batteries that had been laying around a dresser drawer for several months. My freezer is not even that cold, the fridge is a cheapy with a thin plastic spacer between it and the fridge part.
+1
 

Zest

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
19
Sorry if this was already posted and I missed it but:
L2D-CE + 14500's = 7.2v input = bad things, correct?

edit-just realized li-ions would gain nothing in this light over nimh's so it would be doubly dumb.
 
Last edited:
Top