Fenix LD01

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a shame, truely but its upto each person, Some people just dont want to spend the money for something better.

But look, there is nothing wrong with a hole.. A hole is environmentally friendly, it never breaks down, so why invent a toilet? Because we want things which are better.

PrinceGaz

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty much sold on the LD01 now; it'll be a lot brighter than my Maglite Solitaire even after vigorously knocking it against something hard, and that's just with the LD01 on the PWM managed 'medium' brightness it starts at. I'm not really bothered about it making a whining noise whilst in medium or low brightness settings. As for uneven light-distribution and dark rings, I've put up with the Maglite for many many years, so I doubt the LD01 will be much worse. I know I won't be able to adjust the focus of the beam on the LD01 (unlike on the Maglite where you can) but that should be irrelevant if it really is considerably brighter.

I certainly won't be short of batteries to run it with, as in addition to two NiMHs I've yet to even use once, and about 30 alkaline AAAs (out of 40 bought in a box here in the UK from Maplin's at a sale price a few years ago), I now have six sets of the 2xAAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium, as at UK £0.92 per 2xAAA, they were a lot cheaper than any prices I could find online. They still have three more packs left there where I bought them but I'm wary of buying them as they have different packaging and an earlier use by date (2021, instead of 2022 or 2023 like the ones I've bought). I'm guessing the reason no one else has bought them before me is that they and all the other batteries have been placed next to the checkouts, and the few lithium batteries are mixed among various types and sizes of alkalines (I got more than a few odd looks as I spent several minutes looking back and forth through all their reduced price batteries :p ). I'll probably buy the other three packs tomorrow if they're left; I could probably sell a few of them together on eBay for a profit if I don't think I'll need them personally :)

Right, next stop, FenixTorch.co.uk to order my LD01.

Barrie

Enlightened
hello prince Gaz
FenixTorch.co.uk that's where i bought my fenix tk10- l0d-ld10-and zebralight h30 all ordered and received in 2-3 days had a problem with the zebralight returned and replaced no hassle and postage refunded cant get much better service
Barrie

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my LD01 from 4sevens a while back, it was already mighty impressive using normal alkaline AAAs so i ordered some 10440s and it is now beyond impressive. People cannot see you holding the light in your hand so if you switch it on, it looks like light is coming from your finger!

I got the black aluminum one as its a lot lighter, on a neck lanyard, you hardly know its there at all.

Its my current EDC along with my Raw NS which is just a bit too heavy to wear on a necklace (IMHO)

Great light! Get it, you wont regret it.

Spence

Enlightened
Think about this suggestion very carefully...Get your buddy the LD01-you can't go wrong...but at the same time order yourself a P1D Cree Q5 with the SMOOTH reflector...you can't imagine how much fun that little powerhouse is...I have thoroughly enjoyed mine more than most all of my other lights, just to hang around my neck and toy with.:D:laughing::party:

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is a Fenix LD01 right for me?

First off, I'm not a flashlight fanatic, though I have over a few years spent several hours reading about them, which is several hours more than even the average geek here in Britain.

What I want is a keyring attachable flashlight which runs off a single AAA cell (for cost reasons as they are far cheaper than the button-cell alternatives) but which can provide high output if needed. I currently have a... (hides head in shame) Maglite Solitaire - the sort where you increase the brightness by tapping it against something until it gets brighter, and would like something better for the few occassions I need some easily portable light source unexpectedly.

I've already got the batteries for it, my local supermarket is changing owners soon and they've got a load of reduced price batteries, so I picked up a 2xAAA pack of Energizer Ultimate Lithium for £0.92 (roughly US$1.30). That looks quite good compared with some online prices I've seen (my local store was originally selling them for the crazy price of £3.70 though, just for two AAA!). They've also got quite a lot more at that price, along with AA as well, if I need to stock up.

Would there be much difference between the light output of the LD01 and my Maglite Solitaire (after it has been knocked to maximum brightness)? I would like something brighter and more reliable for the occassions when I need an emergency light. Or alternatively is there some other single AAA powered torch you could recommend which is easily obtainable in the UK and better than it for a similar price.

Thanks in advance.
Just to put this in comparison, the solitaire is about 1.5 lumens for 3.5 hours. the ld01 on medium is 27 lumens for 3.5 hours

Last edited:

PrinceGaz

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is a Fenix LD01 right for me?

Just to put this in comparison, the solitaire is about 1.5 lumens for 3.5 hours. the ld01 on medium is 27 lumens for 3.5 hours

1.5 lumens? Is that all? Given a fully charged NiMH (and several knocks against something hard) I thought the Solitaire seemed pretty bright for its size and was usually enough to get by on when needed. I've never owned an LED torch so I don't really know what to expect.

I ordered the LD01 last night and it should now be on its way. I'm thinking from what you've said that the much cheaper E01 with its 10 lumens output would have been more than satisfactory for my needs, but I know I'd have eventually regretted not getting the more flexible LD01. I'll probably only ever really need the low-setting of the LD01 (so effectively turning it on twice quickly), but it'll be nice to know I can always crank the output up to full should it ever be needed.

Give or take the Royal Mail and how long they leave it sitting in a sack in the sorting-office, hopefully it'll arrive on Saturday morning. I've got two new (well, I've had them for about a year but had never opened the pack) and freshly charged NiMH cells ready and waiting for it for my inital playing around with my new "toy". I'll try to avoid the temptation of turning it on whilst pointing it towards myself to see how bright it is, as 27 lumens held one foot from my eyes might be more than I would expect from something so small.

As for the runtimes, I've read the linked threads here and am wondering if maybe the 8.5 hours on low with alkalines actually meant more like "17 days of being used for 30 mins per day" -- giving the alkalines time to recover from each day's use before another small partial discharge the following day. Along the same line, the one hour on high-power would actually be "a three minute blast once per day for twenty days". If I was selling them and wanted to advertise their runtimes with alkalines, that's how I'd test them. Anyway, I've got a box of 40 alkaline AAA own-brand batteries I bought from Maplin's a few years ago and which I've only got through about ten of them so far, and a digital-multimeter to monitor the voltage recovery after the battery is removed, so I'll happily sacrifice a bunch of those to do some real-world testing of my own.

Abumustafa

Enlightened
Out of all my AAA lights of (5 in total Cree's, an SSC's ) the LD01 is the Apex ruler of the pack :crackup: !!!

Also Gaz what store is this that is closing down an which part of the uk do you hail from wont mind getting sum of those lithiums at that price ;)!!!

Thanx

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
I just got my ld01 in the mail today. I can't believe how small it is. On medium and low, it makes a very high pitched whine. I can hear it if I point the flashlight at me but otherwise can't hear it. I am still impressed despite this.

Southernlight

Enlightened
I just got my ld01 in the mail today. I can't believe how small it is. On medium and low, it makes a very high pitched whine. I can hear it if I point the flashlight at me but otherwise can't hear it. I am still impressed despite this.

I got one several weeks back, I can't hear the whine on mine? I agree for such a little light it has a lot of output. For me the low is not low enough for around the house at night.

The other impressive thing is how solid and substantial they are!

PrinceGaz

Newly Enlightened
Apologies in advance for a long post, it covers pretty much everything I can report on my LD01 which arrived today (and has the odd photo).

Wehey, my LD01 actually arrived today (Friday)! It was supposed to be sent recorded delivery and require a signature, but the postman must have decided differently and almost (but not quite) ripped the recorded delivery sticker off as the enveloped arrived looking like this:

ld01_envelope.JPG

Still, kudos to the Royal Mail for getting it from Somerset to Tyne and Wear overnight. Just a shame the final part of the delivery wasn't so good, and relied on the honesty of a another tenant where I live who placed the package behind my lockable mailbox (as it wouldn't actually fit into it). I'm overjoyed to have it (and not have to get up early tomorrow for the postman, not that it would have made any difference it seems as he wouldn't bother with the recorded delivery bit).

First impressions-- wow! That is seriously bright, even on low. My Maglite Solitaire doesn't even come close. I thought the Solitaire was pretty bright in a room with the lights off. The LD01 is pretty bright in a room with the lights on, especially on high.

The light tint is definitely bluish compared with all the CFL and standard fluorescent lights I have, but when it is the only light source in the room, it just looks like a "cold" (as in harsh bluish) bright white. I'm afraid I don't have the equipment needed to give a colour-temperature figure, but from what I can compare it with, I'm guessing somewhere in the region of around 7000K. Certainly, when photographed shining at a white wall with my camera's electronic-flash, the main central beam of the torch has a slightly greenish look compared to the flash (after taking care to balance the brightness of the two to avoid any over-exposure in the picture).

At close-range (say 50cm), there is a very bright circular central region, surrounded by three much larger circular areas of light. The first is quite bright (though somewhat darker immediately around the central spot- and I have checked to ensure that the darker bit just outside the bright spot isn't an optical illusion). The second and third areas further out are much fainter and irrelevant really to any normal use of the torch. At 50cm, there are some slight detectable variations in brightness in the first "ring" but nothing to be bothered about. As such, it will certainly be superb when I need a bright light for close in work (that central spot is seriously bright when close up).

At more like the sort of distance I might actually be using it at, 5 metres (16ft), indoors with the lights off at night I have a roughly 1 metre (3ft) central bright spot, surrounded by a roughly 4 metre (12ft) flood. Apart from perhaps a marginally darker central area of the spot part of the beam at this distance, the two areas are well defined without any rings. The two much darker and wider areas are still visible, but not really relevant. I will say that the low setting is much more than I'd ever need indoors in an emergency. In fact I'd say the low-setting is unnecessarily bright for indoor use, but its better to be brighter than ideal rather not enough.

Time for the final test, there's an area of woodland and generally not street-lit fields just over the road...

Brrr... it's quite cold tonight but I'm definitely glad I chose the LD01 rather than the E01 there. The low power output would be fine to see where you're going along the pavement (even before your eyes adjusted to the dark), but on medium it was providing enough light to easily scan much further ahead, and after stopping next to an unlit bowling-green (roughly 30 metres in length) for a bit, it was quite capable of making the far end visible on high. I'm just blown away at how bright this tiny torch is when used outdoors at night.

I'm not going to risk putting a 10440 in it. It's more than I need already without going mad with it!

On a side note, quite literally, I noticed some people mentioning the PWM or whatever circuitry making a noise. Mine does too. Comparing it with a freeware Electronic Piano program I'd downloaded in the past, on medium power it makes a tone around D#6 on the musical-scale (1245hz), whereas on low it is slightly lower pitched near to D6 (1175hz). It is silent on high as would be expected since the PWM isn't pulsing the current. Not quite the 1600hz I read the PWM operates at, but way above any frequency where you could detect any flickering.

I think this photo I've just took of the LD01 on low-power (with the NiMH cell that has been used all night since I received the torch) and the Maglite Solitaire (with a brand-new alkaline, give or take a minute or so of precussive-maintenance to get it up to maximum brightness- it was a lot brighter still than with a NiMH) says it all. If anyone else is in my position and wondering if an LD01 is worth buying over something like a Solitaire, just look at these (and remember that the LD01 was on low power, it can be a lot brighter than this). The torches were roughly a metre from the wall, and the dark section at the bottom is because the light was blocked by what they were resting on. The dark line near the left edge of the second shot is because that is the corner of the room and you're seeing some of the wall at the side.

Correctly exposed
ld01_vs_Solitaire.JPG

Over-exposed to show the flood area of the LD01 (being just 1m from the wall, a darker flood area is noticeable immediately outside of the spot, but it disappears when used a few metres further away).
ld01_vs_Solitaire_over_exposed.JPG

And those were both taken with the LD01 on low power.

I'm sure you can tell I'm very impressed with it :)

Last edited:

PrinceGaz

Newly Enlightened
Out of all my AAA lights of (5 in total Cree's, an SSC's ) the LD01 is the Apex ruler of the pack :crackup: !!!

Also Gaz what store is this that is closing down an which part of the uk do you hail from wont mind getting sum of those lithiums at that price ;)!!!

Thanx
The store in question is a local Somerfield which is going to be turned into a Tesco Express from the end of the month. As such, they're selling off stuff they've had difficulty getting rid of, at much reduced prices as quite literally "everything must go".

The sticker says it all
One of the packs

Unfortunately, I've taken all six packs of those Energizer Ultimate Lithium 2xAAA dated 2022 or 2023, but when I last checked they still had three packs dated 2021, but with slightly different packaging (still Energizer Ultimate Lithium though). None of their other batteries available are lithiums, they have loads of Energizer Ultimates (alkalines), but those lithium AAAs were I think an anomaly no one else noticed were special. I could grab the other three tomorrow if they are still there but I have little use for them myself and five of the six I have I'm already tempted to put on eBay.

I'm in a mixed mind about what to do with them, they have a very long shelf-life, but will no doubt be superceded soon. They're nice to have in reserve, but I probably won't ever need them. I think I'd be willing to stuff 16 of them (eight of the nine packs, assuming the other three packs are still available) in the padded envelope my LD01 arrived in yesterday, and seal it up with duct-tape and send them off to someone for a fair price. Possibly £16 for the 16 batteries (just over double what I paid) but still a lot cheaper than any online prices I've found, plus I'd cover all postage costs on them. Hmmm, I'll see if the other batteries are still left tomorrow, after getting some sleep first.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PWM on the LD01 is at a very high frequency, i.e. you will not see it during normal use.
Yes I know, I have one. I was just wondering what techwg meant by "the strobe effect" he mentioned since it has no strobe mode I can only assume that he is referring to the PWM.

PrinceGaz

Newly Enlightened
Strobe effect? I don't know how fast the LD01 flickers in low or medium mode, but there is a very easy way to find out. It would be better with someone else here to help me, but I'll use the self-timer mode of my camera to allow me to take a photo while whirling the light around in a circular way within the field of view. This might take some time, in order to get a satisfactory exposure length and brightness.

Just because the PWM is running at a given frequency doesn't mean that is also the flicker-rate of the light. On low-power, the light might only be lit for 1 out of 9 PWM cycles, and at medium for 3 of the 9. It all depends on the circuitry it uses.

Edit: I'm unable to move the torch around fast enough to catch individual bursts of light against a white-wall in a photo. As such, I'd say the torch has no strobe-effect in PWM mode you need to be concerned about. To all intents and purposes, it is like a CFL in that its operating frequency is above that which is detectable in all but extreme situations.

Last edited: