Fenix LD10/LD20-R4 (XP-G R4) Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by tandem on 01-04-2011 11:21 AM GMT

mistertech said:
I am very disappointed with the R5 as I'm seeing that all levels are brighter on the R4.
Are there any obvious tint differences that you can detect by eye? How about with a camera? I'm wondering if that is playing a role in affecting perception. Are there any obvious tint differences that you can detect by eye? How about with a camera? I'm wondering if that is playing a role in affecting perception.

Out of curiosity, what type of cell are you using in both lights?

Written by selfbuilt on 01-04-2011 11:44 AM GMT

Mr Floppy said:
Here's my quick ceiling bounce test.

LD10 R4: 67.4 lux

LD10 R5: 70.3 lux

LD20 R4: 72.3 lux

LD20 R5: 85.1 lux

Some comparisons:

L2D Q5 first generation: 62.3 lux

L1D tube on L2D Q5 first generation: 35.5 lux

L1D Q5 last model before LD20 Q5: 43.9 lux

L2D tube on L1D Q5 last model before LD10 Q5: 59.2 lux
Thanks for the results Mr Floppy. Seems in keeping with increased output on the LD20-R5 (vs R4), but no change in the LD10-R5 (vs R4), as expected. Thanks for the results Mr Floppy. Seems in keeping with increased output on the LD20-R5 (vs R4), but no change in the LD10-R5 (vs R4), as expected.

I suspect the other differences people are reporting in the LD10 R4/R5 stem from differences in the relfector focusing. Both the eye and the camera are susceptible to mis-juding overall brightness depending on the nature of the hotspot.

Of course, it is always possible to have a malfunctioning unit. Ceiling bounce values against various lights (like the ones above) are a good way to know for sure.

Written by Tierdaen on 01-04-2011 12:22 PM GMT

selfbuilt said:
I suspect the other differences people are reporting in the LD10 R4/R5 stem from differences in the relfector focusing. Both the eye and the camera are susceptible to mis-juding overall brightness depending on the nature of the hotspot.
Seems reasonable. With ceiling bounce, I can't notice any difference, though the beams are a bit different. The longer I use both of them, the more I prefer the R4 version, which has a brighter primary hotspot and less obvious ring artifacts. I guess I lucked out on the tint with that one too. Still, I can't imagine I'd find myself terribly disappointed with the R5 version if that were my only purchase. Seems reasonable. With ceiling bounce, I can't notice any difference, though the beams are a bit different. The longer I use both of them, the more I prefer the R4 version, which has a brighter primary hotspot and less obvious ring artifacts. I guess I lucked out on the tint with that one too. Still, I can't imagine I'd find myself terribly disappointed with the R5 version if that were my only purchase.

Written by ledjunky on 01-06-2011 05:10 PM GMT

:thumbsup:

wow that was not only amazing but very helpful!!

Thank you for all the time you spent to help me truly be informed

I really liked the LD10 before I read your comparison now I'm going to buy one.
Written by Ranrod on 01-20-2011 04:26 PM GMT

I registered just to post this!

I purchased the LD10 R5 for use at work and the only thing bugging me is the pinhole in the middle of the beam. I see it everywhere, very distracting even in real world use, on all settings at beyond 1.5m or so.

Here are a couple of quick handheld shots that I took just now of my white ceiling on a half-depleted Eneloop. To my eyes it's only a bit greenish on low, looks white-ish on other settings but I'm dead tired atm

http://imgur.com/ohuNx [img]http://i.imgur.com/ohuNx.jpg[/img]

http://imgur.com/KiO9k [img]http://i.imgur.com/KiO9k.jpg[/img]

Written by lopezepol75 on 01-28-2011 09:05 PM GMT

thanks for the review. I got the r4 version of the LD20 2-3 months ago, found it to be a very worthy light only thing i would have asked for would be deep carry pocket clip, the whole head sticks out. but whatever, great light.

Written by hoebawt on 01-28-2011 10:34 PM GMT

great review...i think i can pick out my backup flashlight for work now..thanks

Written by maba on 01-30-2011 07:03 AM GMT

LD10 R4 vs R5

Beamshots ~> http://fonarik.com/test/

P_Fenix_LD10_Cree_XP-G_R4_132lm.jpg

P_Fenix_LD10_Cree%20XP-G_LED_R5_100lm_ANSI.jpg

Written by mggm on 02-03-2011 12:37 PM GMT

Thank you so much for this great review! :twothumbs now I have a LD10 R4 :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by mggm on 02-03-2011 01:24 PM GMT

Ranrod said:
Here are a couple of quick handheld shots that I took just now of my white ceiling on a half-depleted Eneloop. To my eyes it's only a bit greenish on low, looks white-ish on other settings but I'm dead tired atm

http://imgur.com/ohuNx [img]http://i.imgur.com/ohuNx.jpg[/img]

http://imgur.com/KiO9k [img]http://i.imgur.com/KiO9k.jpg[/img]
Your pix almost show the real color characteristics of leds, simply because you used a Daylight White Balance setting about 5000K. The color of the light of the led is similar to cool fluorescent bulbs. A high Kelvin value(Blue) followed by lots of Green. Since, human eye corrects chromatic shifts to some extend we don't see it with naked eye. But, film and/or sensor sees it as is. If you used AWB setting we wouldn't be able to see it. I measured my flashlights with colormeter(color temperature meter) these was my findings: High Kelvin value(blue), excessive Green.. not a trace of Magenta. Your pix almost show the real color characteristics of leds, simply because you used a Daylight White Balance setting about 5000K. The color of the light of the led is similar to cool fluorescent bulbs. A high Kelvin value(Blue) followed by lots of Green. Since, human eye corrects chromatic shifts to some extend we don't see it with naked eye. But, film and/or sensor sees it as is. If you used AWB setting we wouldn't be able to see it. I measured my flashlights with colormeter(color temperature meter) these was my findings: High Kelvin value(blue), excessive Green.. not a trace of Magenta.

I think, till the led makers produce something truly neutral or close to neutral(not just 4000-5000K, but also very low Green) we have to live with what they give us. :shakehead

Written by Fluffy Ops on 02-10-2011 10:41 AM GMT

The quirk of losing low-med modes with the use of lithium AAs in a Fenix LD20 is only limited to the LD20? Is there the same issue with the LD10 (powered by any kind of AAs)?

According to fenixtactical.com, the modes for the LD10 are 3, 13, 45 and 100 lumens. Is this correct? because I see that the mode levels are different with your review.

Also, is the LD20 a too long flashlight to carry comfortably as an EDC light?

:confused:

Thanks for the review. :)

Written by MichaelW on 02-10-2011 11:14 AM GMT

Maybe with the first minute with the new 3 volt primary 14505 (basically a CR123 in AA form factor), depending on Vf of your particular xp-g.

Written by selfbuilt on 02-10-2011 02:31 PM GMT

Fluffy Ops said:
The quirk of losing low-med modes with the use of lithium AAs in a Fenix LD20 is only limited to the LD20? Is there the same issue with the LD10 (powered by any kind of AAs)?
I believe the issue was specific for the LD20 form factor (and is in fact common for 2xL91 on many lights in this class). I believe the issue was specific for the LD20 form factor (and is in fact common for 2xL91 on many lights in this class).

According to fenixtactical.com, the modes for the LD10 are 3, 13, 45 and 100 lumens. Is this correct? because I see that the mode levels are different with your review.
Manufacturer specs posted in my review are what was reported at the time of the review. It is possible specs may have changed since then (and the light may or may not have changed as well - sometimes just the specs are updated). Manufacturer specs posted in my review are what was reported at the time of the review. It is possible specs may have changed since then (and the light may or may not have changed as well - sometimes just the specs are updated).

Also, is the LD20 a too long flashlight to carry comfortably as an EDC light?
Personally, I would find it so. It's a great size for around-the-house work, but for EDC I personally consider 1xAA to be the max length I would want. Personally, I would find it so. It's a great size for around-the-house work, but for EDC I personally consider 1xAA to be the max length I would want.

Written by yagit on 02-10-2011 06:21 PM GMT

Ranrod said:
I purchased the LD10 R5 for use at work and the only thing bugging me is the pinhole in the middle of the beam. I see it everywhere, very distracting even in real world use, on all settings at beyond 1.5m or so.
I have the same pinhole with my LD10 R4. But I never find it distracting in real world use. Frankly I don't even notice it at all unless I intentionally look for it. I have the same pinhole with my LD10 R4. But I never find it distracting in real world use. Frankly I don't even notice it at all unless I intentionally look for it.

maba said:
LD10 R4 vs R5

Beamshots ~> http://fonarik.com/test/

P_Fenix_LD10_Cree_XP-G_R4_132lm.jpg

P_Fenix_LD10_Cree%20XP-G_LED_R5_100lm_ANSI.jpg
Is it just me or is the 100lm of the LD10 R5 much brighter than the 132lm of the LD10 R4? Is it just me or is the 100lm of the LD10 R5 much brighter than the 132lm of the LD10 R4?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The main review post has been updated with the final review text.

The thread discussions for the last few months have been fully restored from the search engine cache data (thank you tandem!).

Please carry on! :)

moonwind

Newly Enlightened
I'm now decided in getting a LD10 R4/R5. I currently have the LD20 R4 but I want something that I can EDC. Thanks for the review selfbuilt!

WYheard

Newly Enlightened
I have been carrying my LD10 for a few now. And i love it, its build like a tank and super powerful for the size. A lot of light for the money!

ThX

WH

pblanch

Enlightened
Just received mine yesterday.

Tried it out last night and a very nice low.

Love it. Gives the same max output as my LD15 but now I have a very nice 3lm low which I can start with.

Been used to 10lm from my PD30 and have been finding it a little bright for sneaking around home at night.