Fenix P1 First impression

frisco

Enlightened
ummmmm..... me like chinese girls..... chinese food.......and a well made chinese flashlight....... in that order !!!!!

frisco

Enlightened
city cop said:
:thumbsdow I'm sorry, I still can't bring myself to buy Chinese. I'd rather spend the extra money on a USA made or even some of the Euro lights. Damn ! it does look good though :lolsign:

Well..... my brand new Harley Davidson has chinese parts on it......

frisco

cyberhobo

Enlightened
The Chinese are making some really quality products these days. I hear China's Three Gorges Dam makes Boulder Dam seem like a tinker toy in terms of Kilowatt output. I hear they will start exporting cars also.

Oh well, back to play'n with my new P1.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

city cop

Newly Enlightened
Yes and the more jobs we lose here. Although most electronics have overseas parts in them, atleased it's an american company that assembles them. Profits stay here, and keep americans employed. example Harley Davidson!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
citycop...get a grip, and let's keep this thread on topic, please! It's supposed to be about Fenix P1 first impressions. The Underground was developed for expressing opinions like this; take 'em there, PLEASE!

PJD

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the USA. I'm american through and through
and I'm totally for this country. But you have to draw the line somewhere.

You know 4sevens, for a guy who sells more Fenix than anyone else, your statement is such a quick disclaimer that it makes you sound real guilty. Imagine that, a major importer of chinese lights claiming to be "American through and through" and "all for this country", now that's irony!!!! Do you pay federal, state and local sales tax on these lights? Who is on the receiving end of the profit? I have no idea where your line is, but it sure the heck ain't here in America.

You can't blame city cop for the frustration that he sees. Most flashaholics live sheltered lives and don't see the effect of the outsourcing craze.

How do I know? My family is originally from a town called Youngstown, Ohio, Look it up and you will see what I mean.

I know this topic belongs in underground, but if everyone just pretends that things are all rosy and dandy, eventually America will have nothing left but an empty shell. THen the profiteers will leave to go somewhere else. I sure the hell do not want to move in India or CHina for a job. If you want to more power to you, but I intend to spend my dollars on lights made right here.

Last edited:

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Folks, let's not allow this to escalate into another Chinese vs. America debate of which there have been many here. Unless the mods want to move it over into the cafe or something. I've been watching this thread only because I'm interested in the Fenix P1 not people's economical/political views.

Dave

hivoltage

Enlightened
Yeah....I just wanted a flashlight, I dont give a crap where it is made.

This problem is so great me buying a little flashlight wont fix or hurt the situation :dedhorse:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK.... Back to Topic... After looking at the graphs by Chevo.... it seems that the silver P1 is a bit less efficient then the Black HAIII P1... and it might be the case that his particular lights were that way.... not sure though...

*Retired*
4sevens said:
They you'd better forget about 90% of all flashlights. I just got the
streamlight TLR-2 and it's an awesome light, but it says, assembled in usa. :)

Actually, you're pretty much stuck with mag and surefire. toss the mag
bulbs because those are made in china. And the electronic SF components
90% chance they are made overseas.

In fact, if you are true to your convictions, you'd better not spend another
dime at walmart because 99% of their stuff is overseas/china.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the USA. I'm american through and through
and I'm totally for this country. But you have to draw the line somewhere.

Edit: take another example. Trueblue's KI-123's and superlights I recall
having "made in USA" engraved on the bezel. Thats totally weird cuz the
body is machined in japan and so is the converter. Just because it's labeled
such doesn't mean it is... it could just mean it's assembled in usa :)

And toss in anything with a Luxeon in it, every Luxeon is made in Malaysia, at their production and design facility in Bayan Lepas Penang Malaysia.

Malaysia has been a manufacturing center for Lumileds for many years.
http://www.lumiledscareer.com/

They have design engineer positions open if you want to go there:
http://impact-my.jobstreet.com/jobs/jobs.asp?eid=7124

There is even a position open for Luxeon Binning Administrator.

And now LumiLEDs is no longer a US company anyhow, being purchased lock stock and barrel by Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands (who used to own 1/2 of them with HP/Agilent).

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is the natural. The threads are smooth after a dab of magnalube.
When it comes to the simple fact that this is a Chinese made flashlight I am not sure it really matters. QC costs money anywhere. you can have anything made in china at any lever of QC so if you want to spend more on it you can get extremely high quality products from china.
I hate to burst your bubble but assembled in the USA is totally different that made in the USA. Some of the most popular lights here on the CPF say made in the USA. They will not reveal the source countries of the raw parts. There are those companies that have the machine work done overseas (at a very high quality level to very tight tolerances) and ship them here for finishing and final assembly. Some of you even have flashlights that you believe are all American. many of them are not.
The Fenix p1 is not pretending to be anything other than what it is. an inexpensive single cell LuxIII pocket rocket (when used with a rcr123)

This type of light puts pressure on the "USA" companies to step up and compete. and or lower their standards and prices.
"made in the USA" has become abused. The best made in the USA lights are custom lights like MckuxIII's

I am sure that there are guys in China who can make a fine custom light. we know there are great Japanese custom lights fantastic Korean customs, Can China be far behind?
Yaesumofo

Niteowl said:
yaesumofo, Planters, I'd be interested in knowing if you had the Natural or Black P1. I'm under the impression the Black P1 was perhaps a second run and refined a bit? If yours are Black it would not appear to be so.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
VF1Jskull1 said:
Mine was DOA... any tips to make it work besides waiting for a replacement?

VF,

I just emailed you. Try this:

Open up the P1 and drop the cell out.
Use a tweezer or a smaller screwdriver and
remove the foam oring at the bottom of the body.
We have found that this oring sometime interferes
with the bottom contact.

Let me know