Fenix P2D Q5 Vs. Novatac 120P (Beamshots)

indianavaquero

Newly Enlightened
Digitaleos,
It does look like both lights are putting out the same amount of light, although pointed in different locations. I have both the P2D and P3D 80 Rebel. That being said, I will probably collect more as this hobby already seems to be addictive -- and a very practical hobby I might add!

Since you were holding both of them at the time, what is your impression between the two lights?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could someone take a picture of a P2D and 120p next to each other? I've been curious to see the size differences.

xiaowenzu

Banned
Could someone take a picture of a P2D and 120p next to each other? I've been curious to see the size differences.

I don't have pics but here's something very interesting... they're both the about same size, but the Novatac weighs 2x heavier than the Fenix:caution:

The P2D is, according to Fenix
8cm Long and 2.1cm (almost an inch) diameter. It weighs
38.2 gram (or 1.3 oz)

The 120-P is
8cm Long and 2.5cm (an inch) diameter. It weighs
75 grams (or 2.6 oz) :popcorn:

Both weights are excluding batteries. The only explanation for this difference is that Novatac 120-P is more robust, has thicker aluminium walls, and tougher construction. Comparing the Novatac Vs Fenix is like a solid Metal billet vs thin tin tube.:laughing:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

The size comparison with P2D and 120T is below, will soon post a complete review of 120P with the required comparison ;)

Size comparison with Fenix P1 and Fenix P2D
DCP_6896_NEDC120T_Size.jpg

Beam shot Matrix against Various Lights

More...

digitaleos

Enlightened
Update with new beamshots. This time we are comparing Surefire L1 Cree, Fenix L1D-Q5, Fenix L2D-Q5, Fenix P2D-Q5 and Novatac 120 P. All photos are manually set to F/8 , 2sec exp.,ISO 200 and AWB. This time I have included orange pylons placed 25 feet apart, the one closest to camera is 10 feet from the lights, the next one is 35', the next one is 60' and the shed is 85' from the lights. I placed the lights on a sawhorse 10' from the first cone in an attempt to keep the lights hotspots in the same general area.

Fenix L1D-Q5

Fenix L2D-Q5

Fenix P2D-Q5

Surefire L1 Cree

Novatac 120P

xiaowenzu

Banned
WOW!! :popcorn:I want a Novatac so bady :mecry:
Novatac 120P

Thanks for the latest beamshots, Leos. It shows just how much brighter the Novatac 120 Lumens really is, compared to the '160' Lumen special binned P1-DCE. :laughing: I mean just look at the grass area that's INSANELY bright with the Novatac, it has far more spill than all the lights here. And the Hotspot is also brighter than the Fenix P1-DCE too. Thanks again! :grin2:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I can tell, it looks to me that the center of the hotspot from the Fenix lights is about 1 to 2 millimeters higher on the shed than the Novatac:devil:

This is hardly a fair comparison:whistle:

I am sticking with my Fenix:rolleyes:

digitaleos,

Well done on these beam shots. To me they are some of the most helpful that I have seen.

I am always amazed at the output from my P1D-CE w/a P4 binned LED; I can't believe that it can put out the same amount of light as my U2 but it does (at least to my eyes).

I am also very pleased with my Novatac and my L1. These are all great lights. If I could rate them, and funds were not a factor, I would put the Novatac at the top of my list w/the L1 being number 2 and the Fenix would come in at number 3.

I like the twistie UI the least of all of the lights that I have mentioned.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the latest beamshots, Leos. It shows just how much brighter the Novatac 120 Lumens really is, compared to the '160' Lumen special binned P1-DCE. :laughing: I mean just look at the grass area that's INSANELY bright with the Novatac, it has far more spill than all the lights here. And the Hotspot is also brighter than the Fenix P1-DCE too. Thanks again! :grin2:
Ah, sorry, I just don't see that. :thinking: I've looked at the images on 2 computers, and the difference between the 120P and P2DCE is pretty subtle to my eyes. Although the 120P seems to have slightly brighter spill in the foreground, part of that may simply be tint and camera focusing differences.

Thanks for all the hard work digitaleos - nice job on the pics! :twothumbs

KingGlamis

Banned
Very cool pics, thanks. But a 2-second exposure is an eternity in beam-shot terms. Does the shed really look that bright to your eyes?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, sorry, I just don't see that. :thinking: I've looked at the images on 2 computers, and the difference between the 120P and P2DCE is pretty subtle to my eyes. Although the 120P seems to have slightly brighter spill in the foreground, part of that may simply be tint and camera focusing differences.

That guy likes to trash Fenix every chance he gets, it's getting to the point where I think he's baiting, trolling, etc.

It still looks like the hot spots are off. The Fenix P2D appears to be brighter on the roof, and the Novatac's hot spot seems to be below the roof (you can see the hot spot fadding out around the door, and the top of the hot spot seems to be just below the top of the door, so again more spill and more of the ho spot is hitting the ground.

The P2D's hot spot looks to be higher and to the right. If you open each image in two different browsers and click back and forth you can see the hot spot's location moving. The novatech should be aimed higher, or the fenix aimed lower. :)

Also when you click back and forth the P2D-Q5 is noticeably brighter on the shed.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both weights are excluding batteries. The only explanation for this difference is that Novatac 120-P is more robust, has thicker aluminium walls, and tougher construction. Comparing the Novatac Vs Fenix is like a solid Metal billet vs thin tin tube.:laughing:

Thanks for the specs. I knew the Novatac was constructed to be more heavy duty. I would have expected it to weigh much more than a Fenix P2D. I was interested to see how much larger it was though. To me, more weight isn't a plus. Some of us prefer carring around a thin tube rather than a solid metal billet. :wave: :nana: :whistle:

peekay331

Newly Enlightened
I don't have pics but here's something very interesting... they're both the about same size, but the Novatac weighs 2x heavier than the Fenix:caution:

The P2D is, according to Fenix
8cm Long and 2.1cm (almost an inch) diameter. It weighs
38.2 gram (or 1.3 oz)

The 120-P is
8cm Long and 2.5cm (an inch) diameter. It weighs
75 grams (or 2.6 oz) :popcorn:

really? and how many fenixes have you broken due to the thin tin wall design? for that matter, how many fenixes have been destroyed on this entire board?

xiaowenzu

Banned
Although the 120P seems to have slightly brighter spill in the foreground
Yep, that's the part I was talking about, with the Novatac shot it appears the grass is clearly brighter in the foreground, which is contributed by the wide spill of the light.
The beamshot aims have improved compared to the original ones. It seems the Novatacs are aimed a bit to the left... and the Fenix P1DCE is aimed a bit to the right, but that shouldn't affect the foreground, which is much brighter with the Novatacs. :)

peekay331 said:
how many fenixes have been destroyed on this entire board?
The answer to that, we may never know. My point is that the Novatac is obviously heavier due to more materials used in it's construction..It's about twice as heavy. I'm merely being objective here, not biased or anything. :thumbsup:

I guess I was being sensationalist when I described the lights, in comparison to each other, of course the Fenix is not made out of tin. Lol :nana:Anyways, it's like buying a sports car capable of reaching 250 miles/hr.. you're likely never going to drive at that speed, but it's good to know the engine's ready for it, under the bonnet.

That's the same with Novatacs - you're not going to pummel it 200 times against a concrete wall like they did at shotshow, but you know it'll probably still work if you did.:)

Guys I love you! :nana::wave:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
really? and how many fenixes have you broken due to the thin tin wall design? for that matter, how many fenixes have been destroyed on this entire board?
I have had fenix lights.and i must say well built.but they were not for me.they kept slipping in my hand.but really apart from brightness.we should not be trying to compare fenix with novatac.novatacs are in a different league IMO.i would compare fenix to my ultrafire EMR1 which would give the P2D a run for its money in all factors.:D

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The run time plots that chevrofreak made were done with a beta unit. There may have been some changes in the production units.

The Novatac beam doesn't have the same kind of hot spot that the fenix lights. the Novatac light is very bright in the center and gradually and smoothly radiates to the edge there is no sharp well defined hot spot so to speak. it is gradual....and very nice.

One great way to compare overall output between its like these is not so much long range beam shots...though that is not a bad way to see how they hold up against each other but a measured ceiling bounce test. this will give a much better impression of overall output.

My Novatac with it's graduated beam holds its own against most of my Cree and Seoul based flashlights.
There is more to a beam than a hot spot.
A very good measurement to make to go along with these beam shots would belux at one meter.

I have yet to take any serious measurements but I will soon and I will publish them somewhere on the forums.
Yaesumofo

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
I have a P1Dce Q5 and the Novatac. The interface and beam of the Novatac are perfect, the P1D may have a slightly higher output but not enough to make a difference for me. If weight and bulk was not an issue I'd EDC the Novatav. I wish the Novatac was lighter and smaller because it's too big for me as a pocket EDC. On the other hand if you want to carry on your belt or in a bag then you can go to 2 x CR123. The Novatac sits on my Bedside table and is perfect for that. The P1D with the Q5 has shortcomings and is not as good a light as the Novatac BUT size matters and I honestly think it's plenty tough enough.

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Vinnyp, the Novatac is too heavy for EDC. The Fenix price/performance point is hard to beat. I prefer my Fenix.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Vinnyp, the Novatac is too heavy for EDC. The Fenix price/performance point is hard to beat. I prefer my Fenix.
:lolsign: to heavy.it's not like the novatac is a brick IMO 92g is not heavy. some people's gold bracelets i've seen are heavier.:crackup:the fenix some would say is to heavy for EDC and they would prefer their photon freedom or clone from lighthound weight 8gms:lolsign:

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you guys are biking to work or backpacking in the back country I can't believe that you can in day to day EDC notice the difference between a 38 gram and 78 gram flashlight.
I end a PD- S mizer which weighs almost the same as the Novatac. If I were to switch to a light weight Fenix I seriously doubt it would make any difference to me based on weight alone. We aren't talking about Mr Bulk chameleon made out of brass which weigh close to 1/2 a pound. we are talking about relatively light weight aluminum flashlights.
Using your logic a guy wouldn't carry the same light made in titanium because it weighs more than the aluminum version.
I own a fenix P1d which i added a Leaf clicky body to. The leaf increased the weight some what. I still can't EDC this light even though it has a bright beam. Why? Because the side spill fall off is very sharp and the beam quality is not up to par when compared to the lights I like to EDC Pd's and He's as well as a couple of MrBulk lights. Fenix has come a long way but they still have a ways to go in terms of sheer beam quality.
To each his own. that is what is so great about this field. There is something for everybody weather you want to spend $50.00 or $250.00 and more...
Yaesumofo