Fenix P3D Q5 Review

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
FUNCTION
It has four levels of brightness and a S.O.S. and strobe setting as well. The light has two modes of use. A general mode and a Turbo mode, so the light can be turned on in either the dimmest level of output or the brightest depending on whether the head is screwed all the way down or not. A slight press (not click) of the tailcap will move the light to the next level of brightness. If the light is accidently clicked off (instead of slightly pressed) it will turn off. If you click it back on in less than two seconds it will turn on in the next level, but if you wait more than two seconds it will reset. The levels function in this method:

Turn head 1/4 turn counter clockwise: Low,Medium,High,S.O.S. (repeat)
Head tightened all the way: Turbo,Strobe (repeat)

OUTPUT

General Mode: 12 lumens (low) -> 53 lumens (med) -> 120 lumens (high) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 215 lumens (Turbo) -> Strobe

These numbers are taken directly from Fenix. They tend to be a little high, but expect them to be rather close to the real amount of lumens coming out of the front of this light. The output on low is rather low but still enough to walk around inside a house or for up close work output, while the output on turbo is shocking.
I have a Lux meter and took some readings. The first reading is a Lux reading of the center (hotspot) of the beam. The second reading is a lux reading of spill beam of the light. The third reading is from doing a ceiling bounce and checking the light meter to determine the total output of the light. The number itself means virtually nothing, but it does show exactly how much brighter each setting is from the one before it.

P3D Q5:
Low:
140 Lux, 10 spill, .8 overall
Medium:
730 Lux, 40 spill, 3.6 overall
High:
1710 Lux, 70 spill, 8.1 overall
Turbo:
3050 Lux, 150 spill, 15.2 overall

L2T V.2 Rebel 80
Low:
260 Lux, 10 spill, 1.1 overall
1,900 Lux, 50 spill, 8.0 overall

As you can see the P3D Q5 is nearly twice as bright as the L2T on high which is rated at 135 lumens and was tested at over 100 lumens by another very knowledgable member. Keeping that in mind I would estimate the P3D Q5 to be around 190 lumens or so out the front! :rock:

RUNTIME
65 hours @ 12 lumens on Low
13 hours @ 53 lumens on Medium
4.8 hours @ 120 lumens on High
1.8 hours @ 215 lumens on Turbo

These numbers are taken right from Fenix, and are done with two primary CR123 cells. For the most part they are pretty identical to how the light will actually perform, and in some cases a little short. Usually you will get more than their quoted runtimes on the Low and Medium settings. The light uses constant current regulation so you will have perfectly flat runtime (no dimming) without any flickering at all on the low modes which is associated with PWM. Very efficient.

SIZE/WEIGHT
The light is 4.5" long and is .8" in diameter. It weights 2.8 ounces or 81 grams with batteries installed.
Considering that it is a 2 x CR123 light it is very small. The light feels very nice in your hand and is easy to hold. I would consider it pocketable in a coat pocket or a deep pant/cargo pocket.

BEZEL
It has a UCL lens with AR coating and has a very nice textured metal reflector. In my specific unit the LED is very nicely centered. Fenix has had problems in the past with off center emitters, but hopefully they have corrected this or at least cut down on the problem.

BODY/TAILCAP
The entire light is made of aircraft grade aluminum and is coated with type III hard annodize. This makes the light quite a bit more durable than your average flashlight. The body is very steamlined and sleek in appearance. It has some knurling to improve grip, but honestly it doesn't do much of anything since the light is rather slippery, and the knurling isn't aggressive enough.
The tailcap is a reverse clickie and has a nice textured rubber boot. It has two small holes for installing a lanyard.

OTHER
The light is waterproof IPX-8 standard.
The tailcap is recessed so that the light can tailstand to act as a candle in a room/tent/etc.

PROS
Great runtime, amazing brightness, small/lightweight, good build quality/finish, multiple levels of brightness, very white tint. Nearly everything!

CONS
If I had to list one I would say the light could be rather slippery if it got wet. Because of this I recommend using a lanyard if there is any possibility of the light getting wet so prevent the possibility of dropping the light.

IMG_1078small.jpg

IMG_1079small.jpg

IMG_1080small.jpg

IMG_1081small.jpg

Last edited:

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
I've lost touch with the news on CPF and the flashlight world for quite a few months now .... are the P3D's brightness levels achieved via constant current regulation, or is it PWM ?

DF

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've lost touch with the news on CPF and the flashlight world for quite a few months now .... are the P3D's brightness levels achieved via constant current regulation, or is it PWM ?

DF

The P3D (along with L*D/P*D series) are all constant current regulation. Perfectly flat regulation throughout the entire life of the batteries with no flickering what so ever! I should have added this to my review. I'll update it now. Thanks for pointing it out.

daveman

Enlightened
Adiron-destroyer, I appreciate your effort man, and Fenix lights are wonderful for the prices. BUT, I would recommend you to either conduct actual output/runtime tests for future reviews rather than just taking the numbers wholesale from the manufacturer and posting them in the review. It makes the review reads more like an ad. If you don't have the time to do your own tests, then just skip the numbers and post your impressions from handling the light. :poke:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adiron-destroyer, I appreciate your effort man, and Fenix lights are wonderful for the prices. BUT, I would recommend you to either conduct actual output/runtime tests for future reviews rather than just taking the numbers wholesale from the manufacturer and posting them in the review. It makes the review reads more like an ad. If you don't have the time to do your own tests, then just skip the numbers and post your impressions from handling the light. :poke:

I did do actual output numbers for all levels. I don't have the equipment to do runtime graphs. The reason I posted the manufacturers runtime numbers are because they are dead on, if not even a little short on some of the quotes. I can take them down if you feel they make this review seem like an ad, but I thought they might help someone who wanted all the information (beamshots/output/runtime) on this light in one single place.
Thanks for the suggestion either way.

daveman

Enlightened
No need man, just wanted to let you know where I think the review could've been better, I should've used pm instead. :grin2:

1 what

Enlightened
But I've already got an (old) P3D............soooo tempting. Thanks for your impressions.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
"No need man, just wanted to let you know where I think the review could've been better, I should've used pm instead."

Next time I'll try and see if I can do some runtime graphs myself. I should be able to since I have a Lux meter, but I'll have to sit there and moniter it and graph it by hand every 5 minutes or so. I'm open to all suggestions so don't worry about it. :p

"But I've already got an (old) P3D............soooo tempting. Thanks for your impressions."

No problem, I'm glad you like the review. Since you already have the old P4 version I'm not sure buying the new one is worth it unless you really want the textured reflector or the extra lumens. I don't have a old P3D to compare it to but the difference in output while there won't be dramatic to the human eye.

garfieldso

Newly Enlightened
How about the heat dissipated when in 100% output. Q5 is a current eater; heat generation shall be a great problem for those small-head flashlights.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
This figure of lux confuses me, on the review of the original CE version the lux was rated as following (here)
Turbo Spot 3247 Lux

Your rating of the Q5 would seem that its the same brightness?? is this a confusion or is something wrong with the figures?
Thanks
WG

P3D Q5:

Turbo:
3050 Lux, 150 spill, 15.2 overall

BGater

Enlightened
Probably the textured reflector on the new Q5 thats lowering the Lux output below the older P3D with smooth reflector. :thinking:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This figure of lux confuses me, on the review of the original CE version the lux was rated as following (here)
Turbo Spot 3247 Lux

Your rating of the Q5 would seem that its the same brightness?? is this a confusion or is something wrong with the figures?
Thanks
WG

That review was the original versoin that used a smooth reflector which gives it much more throw.
The Q5 version uses a very nice textured reflector which smooths out the beam (no rings) and gives it a MUCH brighter flood, and larger hotspot, but it does cut down on the throw.
The Q5 version is around 70 lumens brighter according to runtime/output graphs done by Chevrofreak, so they are far from the same output.

This is the first light I've owned in a while that truely amazed me. Very small size and flat our jaw dropping output which runs for 100 minutes flat regulation!

If you aren't willing to pull the trigger right away, don't worry. Fenix will most likely update the light with an R2 in a couple months (or possibly less) as soon as they are widely available.

cannesahs

Newly Enlightened
Turbo Spot 3247 Lux

Thanks
WG

Different lux-meters, different readings. They need to be calibrated. And part of difference comes from reflector as someone already said.