Fenix PD20 Comparison Review

mr.squatch

Enlightened
One great thing about living nearby lighthound is they'll let you open up several of a certain type of light and drop in batteries, to find just the right tint for you. With every fenix light I've bought so far there have been drastic variations in tint for one type of light. With the pd20 I set up 4 of em side by side and they were all identical in the white room. I think the boys at fenix are getting really good at this. :twothumbs I've got well over 100 lights, and probably 6-8 pocketable fenix...es (fenii?) and the pd20 is my new edc pocket rocket. I love the simple 2 click high to strobe, no confusing sequences. Also love how low it goes on low. I work a lot in the dark, so a solid useable low is mission critical to me. Love it. Also, the new body shape fits ooh so well in the hand, the new skinny center part makes it perfect imo. Buy a pd20. You won't be disappointed. nice writeup btw, keep up the good work

g

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Great review vincent

Looking for a pocket rocket smaller than my Nitecore Extreme as a work carry and your review answered my questions. Couldn't decide between P2D and PD20 - you stairway beamshots made my decision - ordered a PD20

Thanks - Walter

CEBEP

Newly Enlightened
guys, I am stuck choosing between NiteCore EX10 and Fenix PD20.

P20:
Pros:
Fenix diffusor will fit just right
Holster in the box

Cons:
no belt clip. Or is there one attached directly to the PD20?

EX10
Pros:
wider brightness range
slightly smaller :)
belt clip could be purchsed as an accessory

Cons:
Fenix diffusor will be a little loose and will not keep up if you will face it down. Needs mod.
No holster in the box.
Draws some amount of energy while off to feed the PD chip?

Further to the comparison shots above I see that EX10 and PD20 are pretty similar in performance. But I wander if EX10 R2 Edition (145 lm) will make a difference?

Any chance in comparing the shots of EX10 R2 Edition to EX10 Q5 and PD20?
All comments regarding EX10 vs PD20 are welcome!

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
guys, I am stuck choosing between NiteCore EX10 and Fenix PD20.

I really like the EX10 piston drive. I also liked having the option for momentary on. I think the EX10 might be shorter too.

What I really didn't like about the EX10 is losing the user defined brightness level when switching to other levels. I wanted a light with low, med, high. EX10 gave the option of extreme low and high, but I had to define medium. But when I switch to low or high, I would lose my settings for medium. This was a serious deal breaker for me. Medium is what I used 95% of the time.

With the EX10, there was no need for a holster. The light with the clip fit nicely into my Levi's 5th pocket.

I've been keeping my eye on the LiteFlux LF3XT. I would have ordered it if it had a good designed clip. I much prefer a light that I can easily attach to my jeans quickly and easily, hence the clip.

If it was up to me with your choices, I think I'd get the LF3XT and pray for a clip, or hope the light won't bug me in my pockets. But right now, since it is me making this same decision, I'm waiting. I want something like the LF3XT (clip and faster switching) or EX10 with the ability to not lose my settings.

I also read somewhere on the board that someone might be coming out with a light similar to LF3XT/EX10. I'm hoping to see if that rumor becomes true, or if another designer will beat the competition for my flashlight money.

Jake

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Further to the comparison shots above I see that EX10 and PD20 are pretty similar in performance.

Well... yes and NO.....

Yes when compared to the over-achieving EX10 that I have -
but NO when compared to a more typical EX10 -
please see the stairway beamshots in post #19 .

A typical EX10 is rated at 130 lumens (albeit OTF - Out The Front, or "torch" lumens) whereas the PD20 is rated at 180 lumens - the stairway beamshots show the difference - there is a 50 lumens or about 38% difference - isolated one might not see this difference,
but probably can be seen side-by-side.

I wander if EX10 R2 Edition (145 lm) will make a difference?

A R2 version 145 lumens vs. Q5 130 lumens is only a difference of 15 lumens - a gain of 11.5% this will be hard to discern (and PD20 will still be 24% brighter) - but nevertheless it will be a measurable gain.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I love my PD20, I wish someone would make a Ti body for it. Iam thinking of doing some custom Ti light using the guts and reflector out of p2d's and pd20's....Iam a knifemaker and just dont have the time to learn all this stuff to build them from scratch. Would rather use a proven platform. Great lights!

h2oflyer

Enlightened
I've been playing with my new PD20 - What a great light !

Build quality is as good as my factory Nitecore Extreme and my custom BitZ. Output is allmost as good as NEX - better than my NDI and BitZ and much much better than my LF3XT. Beam is as good as TK10 and LF3XT which are ring free. Bright spill with tight spot.

It doesn't have the blasting brightness of the NEX nor the toy factor of the LF3XT but it has a beautiful white tint, great beam for a Q5, and one of the best output/rutimes for a 1XCR123 light. I understand there is very little variance in tint/output between lights.

No clip - low not low enough - no momentary are the only neg's I see.

I bought the PD20 as a work carry - need selectable 10 - 180 lum output with good run time - as well as rugged and small. Been using a NDI Silver for 9 months and just want a change.

Walter

dakotalawdog

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone advise how it performs outside, how far it throws light, etc?

I'd consider picking one up to try as a lightweight rifle light.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone advise how it performs outside, how far it throws light, etc?

The Fenix PD20 is rated at 190 lumens on Turbo/max - this is theoretically almost 3x as bright as the SureFire 6P, G2 and Streamlight Scorpions of this world - which used to be the choice for a gun-light.

So if the application is where those other lights were usable - then the PD20 would be more than adequate.