Fenix PD32 Ultimate Edition (XM-L T6 NW, 1x18650, 2xCR123A) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
This is my first light with a side switch. How well does the switch rubber last over time and can it be replaced when worn?
My previous lights being Surefire A2, Fenix TK10, Fenix PD30 and Jetbeam PC20!

Thanks.
I don't think it can't be replaced. If it's possible, probably only Fenix can do it.

sweetsdream

Newly Enlightened
After reading this a couple times, I finally decided to order one of these. I'm very interested in the interface as I'm not too keen on cycling through 5 modes every time I need to use a light. I'll probably keep this on turbo mode most of the time.

New-XMLight

Newly Enlightened
Thank's also from my side.

This excellent review helped choosing a suitable flashlight for me.

I was unsure
- Fenix PD32 or the new PD35
- Niteye MSC20
- Nitecore MT2C

and finally i ordered the Niteeye MSC20.

The final decision was made because of the UI - i like the easy interface of the MSC20.

br

markr6

Flashaholic
Thank's also from my side.

This excellent review helped choosing a suitable flashlight for me.

I was unsure
- Fenix PD32 or the new PD35
- Niteye MSC20
- Nitecore MT2C

and finally i ordered the Niteeye MSC20.

The final decision was made because of the UI - i like the easy interface of the MSC20.

br

Enjoy the MSC20! I don't hear alot about these but looks like a really nice UI. I do find myself switching modes like crazy on the PD32UE, but it's still one of my favories and most used lights.

grids7

Newly Enlightened
This thread has helped me decide to purchase PD32UE. I have a couple pocket-able lights (Streamlight), but wanted something with high end brightness as a "might need someday" possibility. Going to be interesting to try the side switch, but not sure what the big deal is with that - growing up, the only flashlights we ever had were the ones with slide on the side operating switch, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks CPF and selfbuilt and others!

markr6

Flashaholic
I just tried one of my new NCR18650B unprotected batteries at 4.18v and the PD32UE would only flash when I started pushing the button down. All the way down and the light would go out. Won't stay lit. I shook it a little with no luck. After removing the cap and replacing it, it worked fine.

Not sure what was going on there but it seems fine now.

Tapis

Enlightened
My recently purchased Keeppower 3400mAh batteries wouldn't fit into the narrow tube of my Fenix PD32. Can someone recommend another protected cell for this light from major brands such as AW or Olight?

jdl2

Newly Enlightened
I think it's probably just me... But after using 700+ lumen lights for awhile it loses the wow factor. Either the lights are getting dimmer or my perception is getting numb. Lol.

I want there to be a 6th super turbo level now, maybe 950 lumens or something.

I'm a no-tech newbie here and have bee looking for the right flashlight for myself. I think I've come to the right place but this old man has trouble following you guys😳

Doesn't the Fenix PD35 offer nearly 950 lumens?

Jim

PS. Thx for having me here.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
I'm a no-tech newbie here and have bee looking for the right flashlight for myself. I think I've come to the right place but this old man has trouble following you guys

Doesn't the Fenix PD35 offer nearly 950 lumens?

Jim

PS. Thx for having me here.

Welcome aboard Jim :D
You're right, the PD35 2014 edition is 960 lumens on turbo. The PD32UE was a final hurrah for the PD32, with a big lumen increase and neutral white LED. The PD35 is a proper redesign and as a result is more efficient and is better able to handle the heat. However, it is bulkier, and not neutral white.
It may not be perfect, but I loved my PD32UE (before it was pinched). I replaced it with a PD35, which is great, but it's not quite the same!

jdl2

Newly Enlightened
Welcome aboard Jim :D
You're right, the PD35 2014 edition is 960 lumens on turbo. The PD32UE was a final hurrah for the PD32, with a big lumen increase and neutral white LED. The PD35 is a proper redesign and as a result is more efficient and is better able to handle the heat. However, it is bulkier, and not neutral white.
It may not be perfect, but I loved my PD32UE (before it was pinched). I replaced it with a PD35, which is great, but it's not quite the same!

I don't want to steal this thread but I'm understanding neutral white is preferred.
Jim

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my PD32UE for a year and a half. I love it. I bring it everywhere I go. I prefer the neutral white color over the cool blue look of most other LED lights. The factory Fenix battery has a short lifespan. OrbTronic 3400 cells are better.

Tapis

Enlightened
The factory Fenix battery has a short lifespan. OrbTronic 3400 cells are better.
I bought keeppowers battery for my PD32, but they don't fit in the narrow tube. Where did you get your OrbTronics? Are they in part with other high end batteries (AW, Keeppowers, etc.)?

radiopej

Enlightened
Yeah, my only problem with the UE that I evwr had juat needed the retaining ring in the tailcap tightened.

I use 3400 mAh KeepPower 18650s and they work just fine. Perhaps contact Fenix and tell them the tube is too narrow for batteries that other people can confirm fit.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! I like your throw beam across the street pictures. Reminds me of David Fincher's Panic Room when they were trying to signal that guy sleeping through his window.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! I like your throw beam across the street pictures. Reminds me of David Fincher's Panic Room when they were trying to signal that guy sleeping through his window.

Thanks 5S8Zh5! I don't recall what you said as I had not watched that movie. I want to see the movie. :)

tango44

Enlightened
Hi guys, I love my PD32 (400 lumens version) but I'm not too technical or a lumen guru like some of you, I'm more like a practical average Joe here.

I see that there are some new PD lights out there like the PD35 Tac and the PD32UE, but I'm too lazy to read all the posts about those.

To be honest I'm confused wit so many models out there...

I love my 32 and it's the perfect light for me, size, weight, interfase, modes, 18650's, price, etc. Mine has been used and abused and goes everywhere with me.

My curiosity is killing me and my question is:

Is there a new light about the same size and features of the classic PD32, now with more lumens, with no complications?

For example I know that the PD35Tac is 1K lumens, but everyone is bashing the interfase, switch modes and it's not the same size and the 32.

Please don't bash me, please help me to decide.

Thank you.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Hi guys, I love my PD32 (400 lumens version) but I'm not too technical or a lumen guru like some of you, I`m more like a practical average Joe here.

I see that there are some new PD lights out there like the PD35 Tac and the PD32UE, but I'm too lazy to read all the posts about those.

To be honest I`m confused wit so many models out there...

I love my 32 and it's the perfect light for me, size, weight, interfase, modes, 18650's, price, etc. mine has been used and abused and goes everywhere with me.

My curiosity is killing me and my question is:

Is there a new light about the same size features and the 32 with more lumens, with no complications?

For example I know that the 35Tac is 1K lumens, but everyone is bashing the interfase and switch modes

Please don't bash me, please help me to decide.

Thank you.

With this PD32UE, the first thing you'll probably notice is the longer body, warmer (neutral) tint, and BIG spot of light which will throw less. If you like the standard PD32, you may be happiest just going with the PD35 at 960lumens. I believe the switches/UI would be the same as your PD32; 5 standard modes instead of 4.

tango44

Enlightened
With this PD32UE, the first thing you'll probably notice is the longer body, warmer (neutral) tint, and BIG spot of light which will throw less. If you like the standard PD32, you may be happiest just going with the PD35 at 960lumens. I believe the switches/UI would be the same as your PD32; 5 standard modes instead of 4.

Thank you, as you said, the UE is longer and I don't like the BIG spot on it.
The PD35 size does not feels right in my pocket, (way too big for me)
Thank you for the suggestions.