Fenix PD32 ultimate UI question

ny700

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at a Fenix PD32 Ultimate for my wife as an EDC/defensive piece. I like it for its size, power and strike bezel. My concern is the interface to enter strobe mode. Does anyone know if on the ultimateit requires use of the secondary button for strobe. Holding a second button for 1 sec in a stressful situation isn't ideal.

Otherwise I was looking at the 4sevens line because you can program the strobe to be primary with the tailcap but only the maelstrom series has the strike bezel and it would run me an extra $40.
Any help would be great
Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

markr6

Flashaholic
Yes, you need to hold the side button down for 1 second to access the strobe.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Fenix otherwise meets her needs, with an interface that is convenient enough that she'll carry it all the time because it's so useful, then you might think carefully about it. As I said in a previous thread, strobe is like a jab in boxing -- usually, at best only a fraction-of-a-second distraction, usable only by someone who actually trained to know what to do next. Sacrificing an otherwise-good interface that makes the light useful, for a marginal advantage that might not even be usable by your wife, seems like it might not be a great tradeoff.

Other choices include Klarus XT2C -- which has instant access to strobe from any mode level or even from off, but has no crenelated bezel. Or the TN12, which I have, which has a crenelated bezel, and can be pre-programmed to come on in variable-strobe (but unlike the Klarus, if you're already in another mode, you can't access strobe easily).

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
pulling out a gun, and shooting would be better than fumbling around trying to find strobe. by the time you do, your dead!.
forget that. forget fenix.

regulation

Newly Enlightened
As I said in a previous thread, strobe is like a jab in boxing -- usually, at best only a fraction-of-a-second distraction, usable only by someone who actually trained to know what to do next.

This is quite right. Strobe is not the real weapon, it could only buy you some time.