Fenix PD35 "TAC" 2015 (XP-L V5, 1x18650 or 2xCR123A) Review

Rastapopolis

Newly Enlightened
When using a Panasonic 3400mah Protected batteries, i noticed that the pd35 tac won't go on turbo mode. No visible changes on high and turbo mode when at 3.8v. Do i need to buy unprotected ones like the vtc5? Is this normal for the light won't go up turbo when it drops at 3.8v?

I use Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah batteries in my PD35TAC and turbo mode works fine even below 3.8v. Do you know if you have the light in tactical or outdoor mode?

mikem65d

Newly Enlightened
Got into lights again after venturing into other hobbies:grin2: so just wanna say hi.
But what got me here was the fascination with Chinese ebay wonders..............15,000 lumens for 10 bucks and that includes 2x 18650 batts?....LOL, OK i'll bite.
Really not bad for what it is, but alas i got smart and read here for a couple weeks and bought the Fenix PD35 TAC.
Received it tonight and now i'm hooked again. And now i really know how many lumes the ebay wonder is.........15,000?...ha, more like 200 comparing to the Fenix.
This light as everyone else has already mentioned is just plain insane.
Doesn't stop there though does it.
The TK47 is on it's way now along with an E25UE and not sure what else i will spend green on over the weekend....You guys are great.

-mike

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.............

5p3fWc.jpg

Last edited:

jel999

Newly Enlightened
I got this light on a black friday sale, and have been using it daily. Im using panasonic protected 3400 18650s. This a very long battery and I was supprised to see it fit just fine. The low could be a bit lower, but it has worked fine so far and not destroyed my nite vision. Only big problem I have found is im constantly fumbling to find the side switch. Most times I just keep pressing the side of the light while rolling it till the brightness changes. Maybe its just cold hands and cold light this time of year, I just cant feel the switch. With gloves on, forget it. Something like the TN12 side button would be nice. Overall I would def buy it again. For an EDC type flashlight it cranks out a ton of light when you need it.

I find it helpful to have the pocket clip pointing towards the switch as it makes it easier to feel for the clip & just follow it down until you get to the side switch.
All in all a fantastic light with the usual Fenix build quality. Is this the best 1x18650 flashlight ? There are plenty of newer competitors but does newer necessarily equate to better ? I'll keep my PD35 Tac thanks.

oldrifleman

Newly Enlightened
I find it helpful to have the pocket clip pointing towards the switch as it makes it easier to feel for the clip & just follow it down until you get to the side switch.
All in all a fantastic light with the usual Fenix build quality. Is this the best 1x18650 flashlight ? There are plenty of newer competitors but does newer necessarily equate to better ? I'll keep my PD35 Tac thanks.
I have 3 of these, two of the newest version and one older model. I really like them, especially For the price. I think they offer a great value, I keep them handy loaded with 18650 cells.

hulk2k18

Newly Enlightened
I really like the feature set of the light, but is it still worth considering with all the new stuff that's come out more recently? Is there a PD35 Tac v2 on the horizon?

I'm weighing this against a UC/PD 35 v2, Streamlight Protac 2L-X, and Olight M2T

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the TAC since it first came out and I near never use it for some reason. I have the PD35 V2.0. THAT is an awesome light. IP68 rated! The UC35 V2.0 is just as good and is ALSO IP68 rated even with the mini USB port flap open. Slight ergonomic differences put me in the PD35 V2.0 camp. As for TAC V2.0 if it does not come out during the remainder of 2018 then I doubt there will be one.

Ric1964

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
great review, I got this light and really like it. Bought it from ebay but didnt come with a battery so Im looking for an extra battery and wanted to know if a 5000mah battery would be ok? The one battery I did have is a Garberiel 18650 4000mah but looking on their site they now have the 18650 3.7v 5000mah.
I dont want to burn up the light so I thought, what better buys to ask than here lol.
Thanks in advance.