Fenix PD35 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME, VIDEO+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I recently bought the Fenix PD35 based on web reviews and Selfbuilt's excellent work here. I'm very happy with it but I have noticed that on my unit the tail cap backs off quite easily. Because of the anodized threads it only needs to loosen 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn to break contact and disable the light. Is this common? Would a fatter "O" ring help? I've got 2 little surefire batt.s in there now until I get a good Orbtronic 18650. Will the fatter 18650 tighten up the tail cap? Thanks.
Yes, a fatter o-ring may help. Thicker or longer cells won't make a difference. This is a "feature" of all lights with anodized threads - a slight twist is all it takes to lock the light.

And :welcome:

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
Yes, a fatter o-ring may help. Thicker or longer cells won't make a difference. This is a "feature" of all lights with anodized threads - a slight twist is all it takes to lock the light.

And :welcome:

Thank you Selfbuilt. I may try the fatter "O" if the loosening becomes problematic. Thank you also for all your contributions here, they're a great benefit to all of us, especially newbies! :thumbsup:

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
BTW, for recent purchasers of the Fenix PD 35 don't forget to register your new light for the warranty. When you complete a little survey Fenix will extend the warranty by six months making 2.5 years all told.

terratec365

Newly Enlightened
PD35 Vs PD35 2014 Edition

It'll be interesting to see how the new PD35 2014 edition compares to the model tested here.

With the 2014 Edition rated at 960 lumens on turbo, the PD35 tested reached a whopping 1020 lumens (2x CR123s) / 1010 lumens (1x 18650).

Will it even be worth considering, let alone purchasing?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: PD35 Vs PD35 2014 Edition

I have the "regular" PD35 and the 2014 edition. For all practical purposes they are virtually identical in output.

Also, for those who love the PD35's beam but abhor its "non-tailstandingness", it turns out that the Fenix head fits perfectly on the tail-standing body of the new and cheap ($$, not quality) Thrunite TN12.

Selfbuilt's review:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381869

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

It's actually a little more stable than the P12 because of its wider "tracks".

BN

Phoenixkh

Newly Enlightened

I just received my PD35 2014 edition last week. It's a joy to use. My only complaint is the less than effective holster that comes with it. I looked around for a better one and came up with two: the Tasmanian Tiger from Fenix and a leather one from FenixTactical.... but the latter is $50 and that seems excessive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cagenuts

Enlightened

I just received my PD35 2014 edition last week. My only complaint is the less than effective holster that comes with it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's quite pathetic to be honest. The Thrunite supplied pouch/holster is tens times better.

Take a look at this one from Lee Valley. I think it's a generic that is probably obtainable elsewhere but I just love those guys.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for the day that my holster will fail, but I've been surprised at how well it's held up after a year or two of daily use (this is for the PD32UE but it's similar). I'm expecting to have to replace it sometime though.

Phoenixkh

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, cagenuts.

When I was doing carpentry work, I ordered quite a bit from Lee Valley. They are a great company.

cagenuts

Enlightened

What exactly is wrong with the holster?

Nothing really. It works but I would have expected a higher quality item from Fenix. The strap that you loop your belt through is very narrow and there's no D shackle like on the Thrunite. It also would have been a nice idea to have an elastic spare batter holder on one side.

If you compare it to the Thrunite equivalent, there's a huge difference.

It works though.

terratec365

Newly Enlightened

If you compare it to the Thrunite equivalent, there's a huge difference.

I'm sure there's other holsters that'll make the Thrunite one looks crap.

Thrunite - cheap flashlight, better quality holster.
Fenix - better quality flashlight, cheaper holster.

I'd rather go for the better quality flashlight any day.

cagenuts

Enlightened

I'm sure there's other holsters that'll make the Thrunite one looks crap.

I'd rather go for the better quality flashlight any day.

Don't confuse cheap with lesser quality. I've had both lights and if I had to replace my current light, I can't see any reason to cough the extra dosh for a light that doesn't tail stand, doesn't have firefly mode, is slightly heavier and a side switch that is inferior to the Thrunite. Why pay double for less?

No doubt the Fenix is quality, in fact all my Fenix lights are great but don't for one second think the Thrunite is of lesser quality. At least that's my impression.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do wish I had a nice holster that had a slot for a spare 18650 on my belt, so that sounds interesting.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had 4 PD35's 1 of which is the 2014 version. I gotta say that to my eyes the 2014 version is not as bright and just lacks the "regular" PD35's excellent close range beam. Also the tint of the light coming out of the 2014 model is much colder it seems. So no nice big hotspot with amazing spill like the 850 lumen model. Instead it seems to be all spill with a weak undefined hotspot. Glad I have it to compare. Got all these before I read this amazing review. I knew something was up with the 850 I just thought that damn thats an amazing 850 lumens sure seems brighter. Some amazing numbers for this light SB! It is still my "wow em" light to impress ppl with. Must be one of the best flashlight purchases I have ever made!

ven

Flashaholic
As always a superb review:)

Better late than never,i have one regret though.............should have bought a while back! Form factor ,UI is spot on,just a great light for the money and is another work edc(i have many so rotate depending on use/mood/convenience).
If i was to find fault(we can always do that) would be the clip,does turn fairly easy on body. Will stick a dab of super dooper glue to secure better(does work).
Run it at present on an efest 3400,so run times on med mode are sufficient. Like the holster all be it flimsy,it does the job and protects it without bulk.

Other than girth,its more compact than the e25 with almost 4x the output,not to mention the benefits of 18650 cells over AA........

I dont think i will be happy just 1 pd35,i need more.................i think its that good! I may get more for other places for go to lights,glove box,caravan........any excuse:D

Its the 2014 version,nothing to compare to with previous versions,not that it matters to me unless i expected a higher output and it was not.

For £40...........hard to beat imho

cancow

Newly Enlightened
I keep waiting for the next gen. PD35. Any word on an updated model?

As always a superb review:)

Better late than never,i have one regret though.............should have bought a while back! Form factor ,UI is spot on,just a great light for the money and is another work edc(i have many so rotate depending on use/mood/convenience).
If i was to find fault(we can always do that) would be the clip,does turn fairly easy on body. Will stick a dab of super dooper glue to secure better(does work).
Run it at present on an efest 3400,so run times on med mode are sufficient. Like the holster all be it flimsy,it does the job and protects it without bulk.

Other than girth,its more compact than the e25 with almost 4x the output,not to mention the benefits of 18650 cells over AA........

I dont think i will be happy just 1 pd35,i need more.................i think its that good! I may get more for other places for go to lights,glove box,caravan........any excuse:D

Its the 2014 version,nothing to compare to with previous versions,not that it matters to me unless i expected a higher output and it was not.

For £40...........hard to beat imho

Latest posts