Fenix PD35 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME, VIDEO+

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
I keep waiting for the next gen. PD35. Any word on an updated model?
Don't expect any significant increases of brightness. The 1x 18650/ 1x XM-L2 / 1inch combination has been maxed out in terms of brightness and runtime. Don't waste time waiting for the next gen, jump on the bandwagon NOW:hitit:. Even if they release a 1200 lumen version, the difference won't be noticeable (need at least ~50% to tell a minute difference).

RemcoM

Enlightened
Don't expect any significant increases of brightness. The 1x 18650/ 1x XM-L2 / 1inch combination has been maxed out in terms of brightness and runtime. Don't waste time waiting for the next gen, jump on the bandwagon NOW:hitit:. Even if they release a 1200 lumen version, the difference won't be noticeable (need at least ~50% to tell a minute difference).

In my opinion, the pd35, is a very dissapointed light. very underpowered, foe what i have seen.....and yes, with 1200 lumens, you see no difference.

This light needs at least,2000 lumens...then i can say some positive things about it.

But again...only my opinion.

But im am like lights, who throw very far, and lights that can have enormous amount of lumens, and huge flood.

And the pd35, cannot give me that...simple.

Have a nice day friends.

ven

Flashaholic
Remco,your opinion is wrong!!:poke::nana: of course i am kidding you:p

I will say constructively that imho 2000lm is just not needed in a compact 18650 light of this design,or if it was it would literally be for seconds due to heat issues. Small lights can not run for long periods with high outputs,it is just not possible..............yet!!

I would presume the typical pd35 buyer would possibly be in the police force(ample out put for most general edc type uses). Someone who was taking the next step up in brand/output,maybe from a p7 lenser or a maglite(examples).

Mine is the 2014 version,apparently 960lm..........if it was 860lm or 1060lm it really means nothing to me as i would hardly be able to tell.Lumens figures are great,but its what beam/focus/spill/tint that matters for me. My uses will be more around the 180lm or 400lm modes of this light. Any higher and too much reflection/glare back from working conditions.
The reflector size/depth imo offers a good mix of throw/spill for 90% of tasks,be it around the house or in work,walking dog maybe. For higher output uses then different lights for more dedicated tasks,throwers or flooders etc. If this light had 4000lm Remco,it would still not make you happy imho ,why??? well it would still not throw far enough due to reflector size/depth as its not designed for that......................and you would have a hot hand quick :laughing:

A de-dome vinh version and boost would be for you again imo,this way you would have a good pocketable thrower in a compact size with a higher output .

Agree with Mr Belgian regarding upgrades...............Only time for me would be different led/tint/. Increases in lumens with same reflectors are hard to tell by the eye. I think manufacturers just throw a newer led in,maybe a mode tweak to use up light bodies. Like a face lift car,new bumper design and its a face lift..........same engine /chassis still,just getting rid of lots of stored ,unsold cars......Just my opinion,little in jest and by no means saying this happens,i would not be that surprised if it did!

I used the pd35 today a fair bit and FOR ME it is fantastic,slips in pants easy,highest output is too much for work. Nice cool tint with useful spill...........the package just works well,UI is great,mode spacing imo is great compared to other manufacturers UI. I certainly think Fenix got this light spot on and understand why so popular.

If i use it next to my tm06vn or tk75vn or even compared, then yes,very underwhelming and it would be very disappointing. Different lights though,i love my dgq spy,now compared to the pd35 that is underwhelming too. Each light has a purpose in the design,pd35 in standard form was never meant to be a WOW ,blown away type light. Although i am sure many may be if coming from maglites and lensers of 250lm..

I once compared my tm15 to the p25 and wow,the p25 looked on low..........However the p25 is imo a great light,certainly hold its own against many single 18650 lights in design,UI and output.

Waffle over:p

and no,not compared to my highbeams:nana:
:thumbsup:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Remco,your opinion is wrong!!:poke::nana: of course i am kidding you:p

I will say constructively that imho 2000lm is just not needed in a compact 18650 light of this design,or if it was it would literally be for seconds due to heat issues. Small lights can not run for long periods with high outputs,it is just not possible..............yet!!

I would presume the typical pd35 buyer would possibly be in the police force(ample out put for most general edc type uses). Someone who was taking the next step up in brand/output,maybe from a p7 lenser or a maglite(examples).

Mine is the 2014 version,apparently 960lm..........if it was 860lm or 1060lm it really means nothing to me as i would hardly be able to tell.Lumens figures are great,but its what beam/focus/spill/tint that matters for me. My uses will be more around the 180lm or 400lm modes of this light. Any higher and too much reflection/glare back from working conditions.
The reflector size/depth imo offers a good mix of throw/spill for 90% of tasks,be it around the house or in work,walking dog maybe. For higher output uses then different lights for more dedicated tasks,throwers or flooders etc. If this light had 4000lm Remco,it would still not make you happy imho ,why??? well it would still not throw far enough due to reflector size/depth as its not designed for that......................and you would have a hot hand quick :laughing:

A de-dome vinh version and boost would be for you again imo,this way you would have a good pocketable thrower in a compact size with a higher output .

Agree with Mr Belgian regarding upgrades...............Only time for me would be different led/tint/. Increases in lumens with same reflectors are hard to tell by the eye. I think manufacturers just throw a newer led in,maybe a mode tweak to use up light bodies. Like a face lift car,new bumper design and its a face lift..........same engine /chassis still,just getting rid of lots of stored ,unsold cars......Just my opinion,little in jest and by no means saying this happens,i would not be that surprised if it did!

I used the pd35 today a fair bit and FOR ME it is fantastic,slips in pants easy,highest output is too much for work. Nice cool tint with useful spill...........the package just works well,UI is great,mode spacing imo is great compared to other manufacturers UI. I certainly think Fenix got this light spot on and understand why so popular.

If i use it next to my tm06vn or tk75vn or even compared, then yes,very underwhelming and it would be very disappointing. Different lights though,i love my dgq spy,now compared to the pd35 that is underwhelming too. Each light has a purpose in the design,pd35 in standard form was never meant to be a WOW ,blown away type light. Although i am sure many may be if coming from maglites and lensers of 250lm..

I once compared my tm15 to the p25 and wow,the p25 looked on low..........However the p25 is imo a great light,certainly hold its own against many single 18650 lights in design,UI and output.

Waffle over:p

and no,not compared to my highbeams:nana:
:thumbsup:

Hi ven,

Do you have the new Olight M2X UT Javelot?

I have, its nearly 200 kd..much more than my stock TK61, and muuuch more than the pd35.

ven

Flashaholic
Hey there Remco ,no ,nice light though but I would have limited use for it being honest. I do like my m20 a lot,but that's more spill and nichia219 . With my single 18650 lights I do like a more all round usable beam like the pd35. Hats off to olight though for going the de-dome way on some models........maybe Fenix will go that route if olights sales increase enough........or to "keep up with the joneses" so to speak:D

Last edited:

Enlightened
In my opinion, the pd35, is a very dissapointed light. very underpowered, foe what i have seen.....and yes, with 1200 lumens, you see no difference. This light needs at least,2000 lumens...then i can say some positive things about it. But again...only my opinion. But im am like lights, who throw very far, and lights that can have enormous amount of lumens, and huge flood. And the pd35, cannot give me that...simple. Have a nice day friends.
Yes. Every light single 18650 light that doesn't hit 2000 lumens and doesn't throw 500m is a disappointment and can't have anything positive said about it. *inflammatory comment removed by Greta :tsk:

Last edited by a moderator:

ven

Flashaholic
Imho if your really let down by a lights(excluding DOA ,poor quality and bad ano) performance,throw then you have to think "why did i not research this better" at times. Very rare have i had regrets to the point of being very disappointed. I would be very disappointed with the throw of the mm15vn for example,but i know its not for that.

I take edc(of course every day carry) as a light,with me that has a good general use,reasonable throw and spill for tasks that may crop up during day or night. Be it home or away,under the bonnet(hood),looking around the garden,to finding a screw in the garage,bed side stand etc. For an 18650 edc,the pd35 has to be in the top 10 (probably 5 for value)best options,thats my opinion and fairly limited experience in the 18650 department..........under 20 single cell lights :laughing:

As a closest comparison i can do,the p25 as single cell,similar output,rear clicky,side mode,the pd35 just is nicer balanced in the hand,head more of a convenient size for edc(p25 is holster on the hip kind of edc) . Mode button easier imo to use/find on pd35 and cheaper too.The nitrecore throws further with deeper/larger reflector............but it does not make it a better light(i am a fan of the p25 too add). Lets say the pd35 will see more use anyway from me:)

No best light,just better choices for applications:)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
any further PD35 upgrades will most likely be an XP-L version in order to get any more efficiency out of an already driven to within an inch of its life package. Wouldnt surprise me if Fenix dropped an XP-L PD35 bomb sometime this year as the competition ratchets it up

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Hi ven,

Do you have the new Olight M2X UT Javelot?

I have, its nearly 200 kd..much more than my stock TK61, and muuuch more than the pd35.

I would love to see what kind of big a** pockets you have to EDC something like that...
</rhetorical question>:D

The only thing I would want as an upgrade is a NW version. Tailstanding & moonlight if they can implement it without ruining all that's already good.

Enlightened
Imho if your really let down by a lights(excluding DOA ,poor quality and bad ano) performance,throw then you have to think "why did i not research this better" at times. Very rare have i had regrets to the point of being very disappointed. I would be very disappointed with the throw of the mm15vn for example,but i know its not for that. I take edc(of course every day carry) as a light,with me that has a good general use,reasonable throw and spill for tasks that may crop up during day or night. Be it home or away,under the bonnet(hood),looking around the garden,to finding a screw in the garage,bed side stand etc. For an 18650 edc,the pd35 has to be in the top 10 (probably 5 for value)best options,thats my opinion and fairly limited experience in the 18650 department..........under 20 single cell lights :laughing: As a closest comparison i can do,the p25 as single cell,similar output,rear clicky,side mode,the pd35 just is nicer balanced in the hand,head more of a convenient size for edc(p25 is holster on the hip kind of edc) . Mode button easier imo to use/find on pd35 and cheaper too.The nitrecore throws further with deeper/larger reflector............but it does not make it a better light(i am a fan of the p25 too add). Lets say the pd35 will see more use anyway from me:) No best light,just better choices for applications:)
There's that and there's saying there is nothing positive to say about this XM-L2 light unless it's 2000 lumens. What you've said is reasonable, what Remco has said is nonsense. It's like popping into every thread about some AAA light and saying it's useless because it isn't 500 lumens and throw half a football field away. It's an act that wears thin.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
For £40...........hard to beat imho

Maybe...but if you want more than one light of the type, you also have the Thrunite TN12, Nitecore P12, and the Sunwayman P25C, and all of them are cheaper than the PD35. I think the PD35 is the only one that does not tailstand...and the P12 and TN12 offer lower low modes also. I'd go for some variety, instead of doubling up on the Fenix...but that's just me, your preference may differ.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Maybe...but if you want more than one light of the type, you also have the Thrunite TN12, Nitecore P12, and the Sunwayman P25C, and all of them are cheaper than the PD35. I think the PD35 is the only one that does not tailstand...and the P12 and TN12 offer lower low modes also. I'd go for some variety, instead of doubling up on the Fenix...but that's just me, your preference may differ.

I've read way to many people saying their P12 broke after a small drop to trust Nitecore. And this isn't down to lemons. I don't recall the thread, but someone disassembled a P12 to reveal the switch PCB is only supported by its solder contact, a not very shock proof arraignment. This is bad design.

PS: found the thread

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
any further PD35 upgrades will most likely be an XP-L version in order to get any more efficiency out of an already driven to within an inch of its life package. Wouldnt surprise me if Fenix dropped an XP-L PD35 bomb sometime this year as the competition ratchets it up
I don't think you are thinking big enough. Cree xhp-50!
Fenix already has the xp-l in the pd22UE. It seems like the PD lineup is going lumens at the expense of lux.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you are thinking big enough. Cree xhp-50!
Fenix already has the xp-l in the pd22UE. It seems like the PD line-up is going lumens at the expense of lux.

XHP-50 is to big and power hungry for the PD35 form factor. Unless there is a sudden jump in battery technology for the 18650, not much is going to happen.
Don't you get it, man???? This is IT, it's game-over, man.;)

ven

Flashaholic

Hey there doc,hope all is well:thumbsup:

Yes agree with your point ,i have 3 x T10 lights but all different materials(some tint),couple of D25c lights (one de-domed vinh, other neutral)and a couple of e25. Rest are all different and prefer a variety like you........same breath(or type:p) i like UI continuity at times as well. Maybe i have too many lights,sometimes the UI does not come naturally straight off..........soon learn after being strobed(jk). Not worked the p12 and tn12 so cant comment(maybe very similar or same),the pd35 works perfect for me,nothing i dont like tbh.

If for edc,the style and UI fit perfect,then imo i can justify more than one of the same light. Being honest regarding the p12 and tn12:tinfoil:,just a few minor things i dont like much,shiny clip,to the design of head/body/knurling. Yes no biggies, but why have a light i am not at least 90% sure on,some wont like lights i think are great,just held back from mentioned(and some you have not) for these reasons.

Lower modes are n/a for me,very rarely use them,tail standing again hardly used.........ever,if i need to i will sit in a cup or something.

Price wise for me,there is not much in it at all in UK,maybe all within $10 depending on where purchased.

Cheers ven:)

apbtlvr

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I purchased a PD35 last May and found your written review and YouTube video to be incredibly useful.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I've had my PD35 for a few months. I live in the city and it's been winter, so I never had the chance to use it outdoors until this past weekend. I didn't think it would be possible for that light to impress me more than it already had, but it's even more amazing in the woods. I'd been considering an LD50 or the new LD41, but I'm not sure I'd ever use a more powerful light than the PD35.

ven

Flashaholic
I love my pd35 that much I had a vinh quad pd35vn made with 2x5000k and 2x6500k XP-Ls in optics . How he fitted then in ....well awesome . Love the flood and tint from that beast.

Pd35 quad pd35vn/ec32vn

pd35 is back in work after two convoy m1 lights letting me down,one total failure and one damaged reflector (very bad QC)long story but quality not same in my experience ,back to Fenix and no more false economy !

This is what the pd35 delivers IMHO ,great output,UI and size for pocketing .

gen127

Newly Enlightened
The PD35 has been my EDC light for quite some time now. It is not cheap, but I like the forward clicky, the UI, the quality (so far so good, at least) and the amount of light provided when I need it. I haven't needed a moonlight mode yet, but it would be nice if it was available too.

Last edited: