Fenix PD35 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME, VIDEO+

markr6

Flashaholic
New PD35 Tactical 1000lm version is out. Interesting, but not for me.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
New PD35 Tactical 1000lm version is out. Interesting, but not for me.

Yeah, it looks nice, but I have no reason to upgrade over my PD35vn. I wouldn't mind picking it up if I didn't already have one though.

Hacken

Enlightened
So 40 lumens is suppose to make a difference.. this is starting to be like a cellphone war.. every 6.months comes out a new light which is the same with little tweak..blah!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
So 40 lumens is suppose to make a difference.. this is starting to be like a cellphone war.. every 6.months comes out a new light which is the same with little tweak..blah!
Couple things but nothing worth getting excited about IMO.
New led, slightly higher output and run times.
Tactical mode, not sure if an advantage to non Leo.
Different shaped head sans chilling fins with a new metal button that I'm suspect of just like folks were when the first rubber side switches came along. Time will tell.

Looks like official support for twin 18350?, I'm not sure if that is on 14 model or not.

Edit to add, I'm still going to snag one, once they're on my retailers shelf. Just got two 14 models I'm happy with still. So in addition really.

Last edited:

Rinspeed

Newly Enlightened
Awesome review, as I've told you before Selfbuilt, and I would just like to add my two cents worth as my opinion only . Great light with very good output and high quality construction. My only two faults with it, and they are small, is the low is not quite low enough for me and the side switch is rather tough to find in the dark. Other than that it's a very solid choice at the price point.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
Flickering seems a common issue. I had it with my Thrunite TN-12. I had the tail assembly apart and cleaned it, used other batteries but the flickering would just happen randomly. I'm waiting for my warranty replacement.

it looks to me like the tail assemblies are similar on both. My guess on mine is a fault in the side switch.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flickering seems a common issue. I had it with my Thrunite TN-12. I had the tail assembly apart and cleaned it, used other batteries but the flickering would just happen randomly. I'm waiting for my warranty replacement.

it looks to me like the tail assemblies are similar on both. My guess on mine is a fault in the side switch.
PD35 flicker, when?
As far as I've saw, no flickers and turbo always works.

Maybe I should stay oblivious lol, nah I want to know.

Edit, doh, never mind me, I see it's about the TN duh.
Wonder what happened with CC74 and his switch issue?

Last edited:

Hacken

Enlightened
Just got the pd35 2014 edition yesterday and did a test tonight. This thing is awesome for its size. Might be getting another one as well..but I just hate the clip. I took off the clip to see how it would look but damn!.. it looks weird without it also..just left it on. Blah!..

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got the pd35 2014 edition yesterday and did a test tonight. This thing is awesome for its size. Might be getting another one as well..but I just hate the clip. I took off the clip to see how it would look but damn!.. it looks weird without it also..just left it on. Blah!..
Congrats, its a nice light.
New version is hitting shelves in a week or so, just so you know.

Not that I'd give up my 2014s, ymmv though.
I just bought my pair a month ago, I'll need a new model eventually.
Have a great night to go with your light.

Hacken

Enlightened
Congrats, its a nice light.
New version is hitting shelves in a week or so, just so you know.

Not that I'd give up my 2014s, ymmv though.
I just bought my pair a month ago, I'll need a new model eventually.
Have a great night to go with your light.

I didn't get why they made another tatical pd35 model @ 1000 lumens. I don't see no point of that one. I do like these 3400mah fenix batteries though but just quite pricey at the moment. I don't know why but I've always been a big fenix guy for 10yrs now already. I bought two eagletac in the past and I didn't like the cheap quality built nor how the beam came out but their customer services is top notch though.

Anyways.. can't wait til dark..taking this thing for another tour in the woods.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't get why they made another tatical pd35 model @ 1000 lumens. I don't see no point of that one. I do like these 3400mah fenix batteries though but just quite pricey at the moment. I don't know why but I've always been a big fenix guy for 10yrs now already. I bought two eagletac in the past and I didn't like the cheap quality built nor how the beam came out but their customer services is top notch though.

Anyways.. can't wait til dark..taking this thing for another tour in the woods.
+1
Do tell how you like it after trying it in the dark of night.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
took apart my defective PD35 tail switch and cleaned it then put back together. Still having same issues. No low mode and the next two modes flicker. Did the paperclip test bridging the end of the battery cell to the bare end of the tube and the light will come on just still wont do low mode still having flickering issues. Light is now on its way to Fenix' repair guy in New York. Turn around time is 4-7 weeks. New TAC35 shows up Monday so plenty to hold me over. Very interested in how the TAC is going to be.

leonardo4358

Newly Enlightened
It can get very warm when running at the 4th and 5th intensity setting for more than a few minutes, though not too hot.

leonardo4358

Newly Enlightened
It can get very warm when running at the 4th and 5th intensity setting for more than a few minutes, though not too hot.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay its the original PD35 thread again! Just to update what I had posted about my original "850" losing its bottom 3 modes. I contacted Fenix themselves. They asked for the serial number off the light which I gave them. They then sent me an address in New York state for warranty repair which was pretty surprising I thought itd have to go to China. Off the light went to New York. I had the light back in LESS than 14 days nearly totally rebuilt and working just as good as new!!

I used this review to drive as much output out of the light as I could and used CR123's for awhile but man does this light devour CR123's. Time has passed though and now I have a stack of new Keeppower and Orbtronic 3500mah 10amp GA's. Noticed the CR123's I had in it were going dull last night. Charged up a Keeppower 3500mah GA and MAN what a difference! These new 3500mah 10 amp GA's feed just about any light whatever it needs and they hold their charge.