Fenix TK10 a Good Choice?

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get my dad a new flashlight this Father's Day. He's a casual flashlight collector and his current favorite is the Streamlight Scorpion: http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=33
I'm interested in a light of similiar size that outperforms the Scorpion and am thinking about getting the Fenix TK10: https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=438. Aside from it's superior lighting performance, I think it's qualities of being waterproof and extremely durable are very beneficial. Do you feel the TK10 is a good choice, or does anyone know of another light that would be a better option? (My budget is $100 or less)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
in a word? yes

if this is his first fenix, i think he will be fairly impressed.

Crenshaw

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
Yes this will be his first Fenix. I don't believe he's very aware of the elite flashlight makers. I've only recently discovered this world of advanced flashlights. The past 2 or so weeks I've been researching and from what I've read, Fenix seems to be one of the best makers.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think you and your father will be blown away by this light so much you will want one for yourself :twothumbs

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes this will be his first Fenix. I don't believe he's very aware of the elite flashlight makers. I've only recently discovered this world of advanced flashlights. The past 2 or so weeks I've been researching and from what I've read, Fenix seems to be one of the best makers.

i think you'll end up wanting one to if you dont already have one..:nana:

Crenshaw

snidera

Newly Enlightened
I have both. NO COMPARISON. The only win the scorpion has is it's rubberized body. The TK10 is a much better overall light. Brighter, 2 mode (all i need), longer runtime, tougher construction. If he wants more modes, a P3D is also a good comparison to the scorpion, same results really. I'd take the TK10 in a heartbeat.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
i think you and your father will be blown away by this light so much you will want one for yourself :twothumbs

+1 absolutely :thumbsup:

now the only question is what color? Black or olive? :whistle:

bstar22

Newly Enlightened
TK-10 has excellent run time and it is bright. It is heavy. I put a Q5 bulb in a Surefire G2 and got some rechargeable CR123's and a pocket clip, a much better pocket clip, for less than the cost of the TK-10. The TK-10 is a good light if you want to wear a holster.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The T1 was the previous model before the TK10. Fenix took some comments and criticisms for the T1 and improved the light to make the TK10(though a few say degraded).

The problem with a High Power LED in a polymer light like the Surefire G2 is the body does not transfer heat well, so the LED will end up cooking itself from the lack of heatsinking.

I think your father will like the TK10. Don't forget to buy rechargeable batteries with the light!

8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

The Dereelight CL1H is also another good choice if you want ease of upgradeability.

:welcome:

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
I have both. NO COMPARISON. The only win the scorpion has is it's rubberized body. The TK10 is a much better overall light. Brighter, 2 mode (all i need), longer runtime, tougher construction. If he wants more modes, a P3D is also a good comparison to the scorpion, same results really. I'd take the TK10 in a heartbeat.

I was previously considering the P3D(and will probably be getting one for myself soon:twothumbs) but after finding the TK10 I figured he'd probably be happier with a light with less modes. Plus, the TK10 appears much more durable, which is very good for him.

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
The T1 was the previous model before the TK10. Fenix took some comments and criticisms for the T1 and improved the light to make the TK10(though a few say degraded).

The problem with a High Power LED in a polymer light like the Surefire G2 is the body does not transfer heat well, so the LED will end up cooking itself from the lack of heatsinking.

I think your father will like the TK10. Don't forget to buy rechargeable batteries with the light!

8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

The Dereelight CL1H is also another good choice if you want ease of upgradeability.

:welcome:

Thanks for the coupon code! I just ordered from the site in Olive! The rechargeable batteries and chargers I've been able to find though are $40 total for 2 batteries and 2 chargers. I've seen cr123 batteries online for a $1.50 each. Is there a site I'm not aware of that sales rechargeables for cheaper?

gilly

Enlightened
I was previously considering the P3D(and will probably be getting one for myself soon:twothumbs) but after finding the TK10 I figured he'd probably be happier with a light with less modes. Plus, the TK10 appears much more durable, which is very good for him.

Don't forget another option - the L2T V 2.0. Very nice light, brighter than the Scorpion (although not as bright as the TK10), uses readily available AA cells (Nimh recommended), has a forward clicky, two modes and costs less!

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_71&products_id=335

That said, the TK10 is a nice light also.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
If you are willing to wait 2 weeks or more, then you can buy these batteries(Trustfire seems to be the best of the cheaper rechargreables) and this or this charger.

Thanks for the good info! I'll pass this on to him later, but the 4 cr123's that the TK10 comes with should last him for a little while at least. Rechargeables will definitely save alot of money in the long run though... but is there any slip in the performance of lights from the use of rechargables?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
None that I know of.

The light has been tested (well, the circuit) to 12v, so the batteries would work fine.

Latest posts