Fenix TK12 (XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, PICS and more!

dannstrait

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up an Olight M20 XP-G R5 with OP reflector. I'd love to see Selfbuilt review this light for comparison with the Fenix TK12 XP-G R5.

Do CR123a cells rattle at all in the Fenix TK12 since it can also accept 18650? The Olight M20 comes with a battery magazine to eliminate the rattle.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Another great review! :thumbsup:

But I must ask the obvious question - WHY DON'T YOU HAVE THE DEVICE TO MEASURE LUMENS???? Goodness, you are like Einstein with this stuff. You truly seem to know what you're doing!

So please get the equipment to measure lumens. I am surprised one of these manufacturers has not already supplied you with it. Do we need to start a donation page to buy this for you? Give me a PayPal address and I will send $20 right now to get the ball rolling.

These outstanding reviews really should include accurate lumens measurements. Then they would be purrrrrrfect!

Peace

PS - I'm totally serious about the donation pool. If that is what's needed, then let's make it happen. :rolleyes:

EDIT - Actually, I would be willing to pledge $100 towards the equipment. In exchange, maybe you could help me with some questions as I try to mod a few lights.

-

Last edited:

300shooter

Newly Enlightened
Thanx a bunch for that review, I put in my order for one from one of the dealers on this site, great info!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the suppot everyone. This review has certainly garnered some attention ... looks like there is still a lot of interest in Fenix models!

Do CR123a cells rattle at all in the Fenix TK12 since it can also accept 18650? The Olight M20 comes with a battery magazine to eliminate the rattle.
Actually, I found the rattle to be fairly minimal. It is there on all protected 18650-compatible lights (unless you use a carrier), but it seems less noticeable to me than typical on my TK12 sample.

But I must ask the obvious question - WHY DON'T YOU HAVE THE DEVICE TO MEASURE LUMENS???? Goodness, you are like Einstein with this stuff. You truly seem to know what you're doing!
Because a true calibrated one costs well over $1000 (some significantly more). :laughing:

There's also the issue of maintaining calibration, adjusting for different size bezels (and bezel materials), etc. Frankly, that would be best suited for someone in a photonics lab where they had service contracts with the supplier and a regular working relationship. It also takes some time to become familiar with the ins and outs of any particular model, to understand its limitations.

I certainly know the limitations of my milk carton :rolleyes: ... which is why I don't report estimated lumens from it. But I do keep my little setup reasonably consistent over time by re-comparing older lights on a regular basis, so the relative comparisons hold.

That being said, there are a fair number of measured lumen estimates for a common lights out there now .. when I get a chance, I'll do a comparison to see how they compare to my samples in my lightbox. You never know, there may be a fairly good mathematical relationship between my box and a proper sphere (but I wouldn't hold your breadth ;)). I'll take a look and let you know ...

AusKipper

Enlightened
I just wish they had not stopped providing the "gold ring" to put on over the threads should you wish to remove the cigar grip thingo (which of course I always do).

I know if I am never to put the cigar grip thing back on again it doesnt matter if the threads get damaged, but it just looks messy, and I really love the look of my TK10 with its gold ring :) (so much so i went out and purchased a gold ring separately for my TK11)

Anyway, a minor complaint, but still one they could fix fairly easily (and cheaply)

tansinator

Newly Enlightened
Great review! Newbie here trying to take it all in. I've heard alot about the Fenix line and actually got to finger a TK12 and was very impressed.

Eddie

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I just wish they had not stopped providing the "gold ring" to put on over the threads should you wish to remove the cigar grip thingo (which of course I always do).
Good point - there was a time when a number of manufacturers supplied covers to for exposed grip ring threads ... but the practice seems less common lately.

I've heard alot about the Fenix line and actually got to finger a TK12 and was very impressed.
Interesting way to put that. ;) But I know what you mean ... :whistle:

Oh, and :welcome:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
But not to worry - I know of at least one light in development that will have much better throw from a XP-G. Can't say more right now, since it's still under wraps And I'm sure others will follow - but it will likely mean larger heads with larger and deeper reflectors
Does that "one light" have a larger diameter head or just a deeper reflector?

Brightnorm

garden

Newly Enlightened
Hey I know this is slightly off-topic, but do flat top 18650s fit in the TK12 Q5s? Also, how is the regulation of the Q5 version on 18650s? (the TK11 doesn't offer much regulation at all on 18650s, so I'm not sure if Fenix improved the circuit on the TK12.)

h2xmark

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review on the the TK12, it looks like a great deal for the money.

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
As usual the Gold standard of flashlight reviews. I've made most of my buying decisions based on your reviews, details and opinions.

Thank you very much. You're doing a fantastic job.

vkp428

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I was on the fence about this, not anymore :twothumbs

SemperFi

Banned
Thanks for the suppot everyone. This review has certainly garnered some attention ... looks like there is still a lot of interest in Fenix models!

I believe that owes more to the price and tenacity regime Fenix pursues and this is measured by the daily feedbacks & probable sales growth with almost all of their series and as for my initial entree with a Fenix T1.... I have now reached the TK40, including the recent TK12 R5 which I am extremely pleased to have by having two instead.:twothumbs
Am now on the lookout again from my foxhole for your next Fenix findings to feedbacks for my next Fenix fetish.... hahaaa:p

XRAYBoY

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to your review:clap:,one of these TK12 R5 is coming home now.

sarguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! I've been considering getting a TK12. How substantial was the pocket clip? I'm looking for a TK12-ish tactical light w/ a decent strength pocket clip, as I'm in scrubs most of the time and carry IWB.

Thanks!