Fenix TK21 U2 – A review in four parts

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not see the rubber mount you used for the shotgun on Fenix's website? Is it a product of theirs or another brand? I assume the bike mount is too big to use as a shotgun mount? Thanks!

The bike mount would not work on a shotgun. This is a rubber block mount which can be found on DX, ebay and in this case was supplied by 'The Photon Shop' and is on this page:
link removed to comply with forum rules
Third product down

I use mine for hunting on my SIG 556 and it is an excellent weapon light.

That is interesting to know. The TK21 has a pretty wide beam and for the rifle I found it ha d a lot of wasted light. For the Shotgun it was perfect as the wide spill meant moving targets stayed in the beam.

How do you use your 556 (range, target/quarry etc)?

Last edited by a moderator:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fully understand the issues that wild hogs are creating in some parts of the country, hunting them is the only solution, however, I have to say that your picutures are quite inappropriate and bad in taste. CPF is not the place for such pictures as you have shown here.

xed888

Enlightened
I fully understand the issues that wild hogs are creating in some parts of the country, hunting them is the only solution, however, I have to say that your picutures are quite inappropriate and bad in taste. CPF is not the place for such pictures as you have shown here.

Agreed

PapaLumen

Enlightened

+1

SkyPup

Newly Enlightened
Dear All, I sincerely apologize if my post offended anyone, I had no idea that it would, please accept my apology.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
No problem, thanks for apologizing. I liked your other photos just the dead animal was a bit much.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK21-bicycleandsky.jpg

That's an awesome shot!

EDIT: Thx for posting about the AF02 mount. The swivel on one end should make removal/moutning a lot easier. I have the standard Fenix mount that requires screws on both ends and it's a major PITA come removal time.

Last edited:

Richub

Enlightened
That's an awesome shot!

EDIT: Thx for posting about the AF02 mount. The swivel on one end should make removal/moutning a lot easier. I have the standard Fenix mount that requires screws on both ends and it's a major PITA come removal time.
I recently bought the AF02 mount for the exact same reason.

I also tend to drop one of those tiny black screw heads of that first bike mount in the darkest part of my surroundings. ;)
With the AF02, the big bolt that comes out of the bike mount side is much easier to hold in your hand without dropping it. The bolt on the flashlight side stays attached when unscrewed, you're not likely to lose that one in normal use.

SkyPup

Newly Enlightened
How do you use your 556 (range, target/quarry etc)?

I use it for hunting hogs and coyotes at night at ranges out to 200 yards. So far have eliminated over 150 wild boar and over 40 coyotes on my property using this setup.

Here is a pic of my FoxPro Electronic Caller and Remote Control Decoy for the 'yotes:

Jack%20In%20Box.jpg

I currently do not have a pic of my Fenix 21 on my SIG 556, but here is one of my Olight M-20 that I used previously:

Olight%20M20.jpg

We use both scopes and Eotech's and are getting into night and thermal vision.....

SkyPup

Newly Enlightened
P.S. -> SubWoofer, you can also get a nice lightweight replacement barrel band for your Ruger 10-22 that has a picitanny rail mount on it, I have one for my Ruger 10-22 for taking out night armadillos in the garden and it works great as a light mount:
link removed

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
P.S. -> SubWoofer, you can also get a nice lightweight replacement barrel band for your Ruger 10-22 that has a picitanny rail mount on it, I have one for my Ruger 10-22 for taking out night armadillos in the garden and it works great as a light mount:

link removed

Thanks for the link, but the reason I have the barrel mount is to put the torch as far forward as possible reducing any spill light falling on the gun itself. Neat looking accessory and I'm almost tempted just because....

That's an awesome shot!

Thanks, I like that photo as well.

The AF02 mount works really well and is nice and solid.

SkyPup

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, we need a special tax stamp over here to put a silencer on any firearm, I can see why the barrel band would not work well for you due to flash back from the beam. I mostly hunt coyotes and hogs at night, lots of rabbits too but the coyotes tend to eat them quite a bit, as well as our baby fawn deers...

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
[quote removed - DM51]

A review thread is certainly not the place to discuss the merits hunting or the non-flashlight equipment used for this purpose.

In the review I was presenting a practical view of the applications to which the TK21 could be put. This required illustration with photos of it mounted on a rifle.

Please do not post any further gun or hunting related comments or photos which take away from the purpose of this thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.

DM51

Flashaholic
A review thread is certainly not the place to discuss the merits hunting or the non-flashlight equipment used for this purpose.

In the review I was presenting a practical view of the applications to which the TK21 could be put. This required illustration with photos of it mounted on a rifle.

Please do not post any further gun or hunting related comments or photos which take away from the purpose of this thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Please would members respect what subwoofer says here. dheim, your post was unnecessary and has been removed.

This is an unusual and interesting review, which gives very good demonstrations of two practical applications for this light - thank you, subwoofer! :thumbsup: I'm moving it to the Reviews section.

Edit: sorry for the delay in the move there - CPF went down for a while.

Last edited:

mad96ss

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an old thread but the op said that the tk 21 does not work with rcr123 batteries. Is this correct? why wouldn't it work?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The total voltage of two RCR's fresh off the charger could be as high as 8.4 volts. I would guess that 8.4v would be higher than the circuitry is designed for. One 18650 would also give a longer runtime than two RCR123's, which are 16340s.

Chinohills

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Fenix TK21. I purchased it from B&H Photo. I noted on their product page that the "In the Box" section mentioned 2 x CR123 but they also indicated batteries were required. I used to work in a retail store doing order desk and buyer jobs and contradictions like this were often a source of confusion or problems. So I let them know when ordering. I didn't expect batteries to be included based on various reviews, product pages, etc. Turns out, there were two "Powerizer" CR123A batteries in the box. I've let them know that as well now that I've received it. The shipping box was padded with a couple of air cells and was received with no damage to the outer box or contents.

A couple of comments on inspection. No apparent finish or machining problems. The hot symbol is centered on one of the rounded sections of the head, over the serial number, the adjacent flat was centered over the body flat and mode switch. However, the light is not equipped with springs at both ends of the tube. The tail cap is sprung, the forward end of the tube is not. It does not rattle with the batteries installed and some fairly vigous shaking did not result in blinks or mode changes. At some point I will be mounting this to an M4 type carbine so will check for recoil issues then.

skyrider

Newly Enlightened
I emailed fenix and they said they fixed the circuit problem last year. Just wondering if anyone who bought the tk21 recently (or the tk15 s2 with voltage regulation) can run 18650s in turbo normally now?