Fenix TK35 UE & TK35 L2 - Pictures, Impressions

markr6

Flashaholic
Oh for the love of...STOP THIS MADNESS! You probably just cost me another $100+ on a flashlight :D

Perfect photos as usual. Gotta love neutral white!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this may just make the E50 obsolete in my collection.

And can I just say, it's about time Fenix started producing more o/p reflectored lights.

I hate OP lights. If you take a lux meter to the hot spot, it varies wildly. You have to fish around the hotspot, when working, to get the brightest hotspot. All in all, I find it's a more raggedy light distribution than a smooth reflector. I think OP has more a psychological benifit than real; it eliminates minor rings and offers a smooth transition into the halo (which has no real practical value). Though orange peel is probably needed with some emitters, like the mkr, mce, and (perhaps) the mtg2.

Were I a light maker. I would offer both, smo & op, to maximize sales. You can't really fight perception, with reality.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Received my review-sample today :)

2je8q3k.jpg

Bass

Enlightened
Fantastic outdoor beam shots and GIFs :thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
WOW kj2,thats some front garden........how big is your back yard??? :laughing:

It looks like a good general use light to me:)

kj2

Flashaholic
WOW kj2,thats some front garden........how big is your back yard??? :laughing:

It looks like a good general use light to me:)
No no, not my front or backyard ;) -was at the back of a storage-company nearby.
The TK35UE is indeed a overall light. Gives a wall of light in front of you and a good wide view.
Hope the beamshots will turn-out nicely tonight. My review on this light, should be up in the coming days :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Geez, I want a mtg2 2x18650. But, what is wrong with Fenix? They have forgotten that you need a workday run level at 4k candela. I can, for the mtg2, calculate the candela at an 8 hour setting at 6100. They, again, forgot this setting (as on all their new h.lamps). 4 hours is NOT a workday. Nor is swapping batteries at 4 hours remotely possible for most people. Looks like only a dim 2,000 candela for 13 hours. ... You need 4k candela to see good detail at 6 foot. I struggle do my job at 3k candela lights.

The L2 offers 5k candela at the 125 lumen level. This light has impressibe throw numbers, which would allow working at lower current levels. That tk35 reflector is impressive with the xml.

The TK series is too heavy, I guess, anyway for me. 3x18650 is out of the question. But, I am impressed that they got their driver to work for a mtg2 with only 7.2 volt nominal.

The color rendering and pics are impressive for the mtg2. However, your eyeball cones are only 15 degrees within the center of your vistion. The rest of your vision is blurry motion vision. If you use your hands or cut out a quarter sized hole and hold it over the hotspot on animated pics above, the hole drops in brightness with the mtg2 illumination. In real life, this is the part that matters more. Still, wow. Keep in mind you would need the 4 hour or less setting on the mtg, just to get respectable throw. But by missing a good, 6k candela at 8 hour, setting, I couldn't use the UE version of light. Sadly.

I am firmly in the 140 to 168 lpw range for all my current gen lights. So the mtg2 amazes me, but I think we can do better. I wonder how far off we are from a neutral Cree at 220 lpw. Over 200 lpw era, is where it make more sense to start buying anything more.

Interesting.

A light with 4k cd at 2 meters (~ 6' at least) is putting ~ 1,000 lux on your work surface, which you describe as the minimum to see detail. This agrees with many studies, some of which specify even more than 1,000 lux as a minimum lighting level for detail work. (1k lux is the most common spec for detail work)

For example, for vehicle touch up and inspection work, the recommended illumination is ~ 3k - 10k lux.

A 2k cd light is still putting ~ 500 lux on the surface ~ 6' away, which for most people is plenty.

Of course, some people just need to see where they are going, and a wider field of view provides situational awareness and reduces "tunnel vision". Even though you might not be able to resolve details with your peripheral vision, you can still tell that things are there, sense motion, etc....which is why a stroke victim who loses peripheral vision is considered to be handicapped, etc.

If your level of detail involves not stepping in a hole or tripping on a root/hitting your head on a low hanging branch or rafter, etc...you can get away with lower levels of illumination than if you are inspecting a surface for fine details, etc. Many don't realize what they DIDN'T see as a result of inadequate lighting that they THOUGHT was bright enough.

I've been on hikes, etc, where snakes and other hazards were not noticed by those who thought their lights were bright enough, but weren't. Its one of those things where you simply do not know what you DIDN'T see, unless it bites you, and then, it can be too late.

I do forensic investigations, so, I too NEED a high level of illumination to see fine details, but, sometimes, a mule-type flood of light is better, depending upon the specifics of where and what I'm doing.

The AVERAGE user of a flashlight is NOT using it for close up detail work for 8 hours at a stretch. If they want a high cd, its typically to see distant targets, not close up ones in more detail. People who need high cd FLASHLIGHTS for long duration close-up work are the exception, not the rule.

So, different tools for different jobs is the name of the game.

I might use a floody light to navigate a crawl space, etc...so I can see the layout of the entire space in one glance, or to see an entire landscape in one glance, etc...which gives perspective on the relationship between things much better than a scan back and forth with a wide beam, combined with mentally stitching together what was out there...and then turn on a spot beam or even STRONGER flooder to see more details.

:D

Last edited:

CUL8R

Enlightened
Very nice pictures! I know they're in a higher league than the TK35UE which is putting out "only" about 2k lumens, but could you post any comparison pictures of your TN35 and any other MTG2 based lights you have and the TK35UE?

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice pictures! I know they're in a higher league than the TK35UE which is putting out "only" about 2k lumens, but could you post any comparison pictures of your TN35 and any other MTG2 based lights you have and the TK35UE?

yes, more beamshot comparison (60m distance) coming soon, but I need more time, I'm waiting for optimal weather/time, TK35L2 and UE vs other lights, eg Thrunite TN35 MT-G2, Niwalker Nova MM15, Fenix RC40 etc

Last edited: