Fenix TK35UE (MT-G2, 2x18650, 4xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME, VIDEO+

scintillator

Enlightened
Yes Fenix Outfitters is where I preordered my tk35ue.
Nice folks there at least over the phone.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hi Selfbuilt,

Does this TK35UE, almost the same flood, like the TM11 of Nitecore has?

Almost the same output.

markr6

Flashaholic
Got close to pulling the trigger on this last night, but I don't know. I'm thinking my next purchase should be a true thrower since my EA4 is the best I can do right now. Maybe a TK61 or something similar. I do like the more neutral tint though.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Does this TK35UE, almost the same flood, like the TM11 of Nitecore has?
The TM11 has a wider spillbeam. On that measure, it would seem more "floody" to many. That said, the TM11's hotspot is actually more intense at close range. It's a very different beam pattern, not easy to compare.

Maybe a TK61 or something similar. I do like the more neutral tint though.
Get the Tk61vn. Fair throw ;)

The TK61vn dedome (PDT) that I reviewed actually has a pretty similar overall tint to my TK35UE (i.e., both around ~5000K). The TK61vn dedome does have more green though, especially at lower levels. Perhaps better to consider the MT-G2 emitter as a premium neutral white, and dedomed cool white XM-L2 as non-premium greenish neutral. :)

Enlightened
At first I thought that was a hair on the MT-G2 dome in your close up photo of the emitter but in the low mode beam shots I can see what looks like a thin hair line across the upper part of the hotspot. Your lens or camera sensor might need a cleaning!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Weather conditions have finally improved enough to start taking outdoor beamshots around here. Here is a comparison of the TK35UE to the original TK35 (XM-L version) and the Eagletac SX25L3.

As always, these are done in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up review. Please see that thread for a discussion of the topography (i.e. the road dips in the distance, to better show you the corona in the mid-ground).

TK35-UE-SX25L3.gif

TK35-UE-SX25L3z.gif

Please note that the color balance of the MT-G2 shots are a little off, as I had automatic white balancing on (i.e., they are not consistent to the adjustment used for the cool white emitter).

The MT-G2 emitter does indeed provide much more of a "wall of light" effect, thanks to the larger emitter. Unfortunately, the relatively small build of the TK35 doesn't let it throw very far. Hopefully these standardized outdoor shots give you a better idea what to expect. :wave:

TheThor

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know, the TK35 is one of the bestselling flashlights of Fenix.
The carrier is surely a very thoughtful design, but i see that the reflector is textured, then the output should be floody. any recommendation if I want a thrower, compact and good value for money?

kj2

Flashaholic
As far as I know, the TK35 is one of the bestselling flashlights of Fenix.
The carrier is surely a very thoughtful design, but i see that the reflector is textured, then the output should be floody. any recommendation if I want a thrower, compact and good value for money?

TK41 comes to my mind. Of course, there are lights that thrower further, but money-wise the TK41 is a good choice :)

MasterBlaster

Newly Enlightened
I love my TK35 and was excited about the UE version until I saw the beam pattern. So I guess what I want/need is a TK61 with the MT-G2, if they ever make such a thing.

Perhaps I should be more clear. I love my TK35 because it is truly in the "goldilocks" zone of flashlights. Perfect size, great power and throw, but only two batteries. I like the flat siding, how it feels in hand. Great flashlight. More light and warmer colors would be welcome.

So, in comes the UE version that has more power and warmer color in the same great TK35. I was literally filling out an order online when I noticed the beam pattern test. I don't mind a "wall of light". If anything, a flood is great. What bothered me was the very pronounced black hole in the middle of the trees, and at only 100 yards. Maybe the larger reflector on the TK61 would be a better match for the MT-G2.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
If anything, a flood is great. What bothered me was the very pronounced black hole in the middle of the trees, and at only 100 yards. Maybe the larger reflector on the TK61 would be a better match for the MT-G2.
The camera settings were really designed to show throwers the best (so, in real life, the UE may not seem as bad as the close up pics suggest). But these pics are certainly useful in gauging relative differences between beams. You would certainly have found it less throwy than the regular XM-L/XL-L2 version. Glad you found the pics useful. :wave:

MasterBlaster

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the excellent advice. The TN35 does appear to be what I am looking for in my next flashlight. And thank you to selfbuilt for the excellent reviews.

BoCoMo

Newly Enlightened
I am new here & looking for my first light and I just wanted to add my thank you to the many others before me. Your reviews are proving VERY helpful with my decision. Thanks!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thank you for the excellent advice. The TN35 does appear to be what I am looking for in my next flashlight. And thank you to selfbuilt for the excellent reviews.
I am new here & looking for my first light and I just wanted to add my thank you to the many others before me. Your reviews are proving VERY helpful with my decision. Thanks!
My pleasure ... and :welcome:

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone measured to see if the battery carriers on the TK35 and TK35ue are identical or if the UE is slightly larger. I got some nice new 3400mah protected 18650s and they fit VERY tightly in my TK35. So, I was thinking if they fit better in the UE, then I might upgrade. If not, I may have to find some slightly smaller 18650s to put in the TK35 I already own.