Fenix TK40 part 3

donald2036

Newly Enlightened
It would be like a bin-lottery (between K & M) for buying TK40. What a silly move if Fenix were really to send their TK40 to the market with mixed bins. :shrug:

On the other hand, I would consider this LED bin upgrade as a substantial upgrade, to me it is not a "no big deal".

Yuenhop

Newly Enlightened
I got mine on April 4th and it shows a M. Ordered one a week later for a friend and got it on April 16 and it shows a K.

bodhran

Enlightened
I don't know how to do it myself, but it might be interesting if someone could set up a poll to get a sampling of how many got the K or M.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference between K and M bin according to the Cree is as following.
Around 16% difference, that is hardly noticeable with a naked eye. ;)

my.php

Da_Pilot

Newly Enlightened
You can check it on the Fenix website with the serial number inquiry...

http://www.fenixlight.com.cn/snen.asp

I did, I see i have a K-bin TK40, but the lumens out of my TK40 are plenty, so I'm happy...

PS. This is what you get:

Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Model: TK40 LED: CREE MC-E/K Reflector: Orange Peel Reflector Color: black Version of Warranty Card: English

Nice Find :thumbsup:

It turns out that I got the K bin LED. Bummer.....

Like you, i'm pretty impressed with the TK40 so I'm not quite as disappointed anymore !

Da_Pilot

Newly Enlightened
Those of you that received an M should go buy a lottery ticket.:grin2:

Can't wait to try out my new toy tonight !

scivicblu83

Newly Enlightened
i called the fenix store today and they said they would probably start mailing the second batch of tk40's today! hopefully i get mine soon!

donald2036

Newly Enlightened
There is a disappointment for those who received K bin, especially we all paid the same price. I don't think this lottery system is fair to the customers, and their fans.

16% might probably be a small amount of light to be noticed, but on the other hand, Fenix might have run the M-bin with a lower current to match with those with K-bin. That would really make an noticable difference to the amount of heat generated.

Just same case of Solarforce L950M vs older model Solarforce L900, they differ with a LED bin upgrade with lower driving current. My L950M is certainly generating less heat than my TK40. The TK40 turns quite hot with 5mins of usuage, noticably hotter than my L950M.

Sparrow Hawk

Newly Enlightened
I got my M bin today but I got a defective one. After I put batteries in nothing seems to make it works. Just got to bend the metal to make a better contact.

This is my second light but my first light after I discovered CPF.

Love it.:twothumbs

bhuber

Newly Enlightened
There is a disappointment for those who received K bin, especially we all paid the same price. I don't think this lottery system is fair to the customers, and their fans.

16% might probably be a small amount of light to be noticed, but on the other hand, Fenix might have run the M-bin with a lower current to match with those with K-bin. That would really make an noticable difference to the amount of heat generated.

Just same case of Solarforce L950M vs older model Solarforce L900, they differ with a LED bin upgrade with lower driving current. My L950M is certainly generating less heat than my TK40. The TK40 turns quite hot with 5mins of usuage, noticably hotter than my L950M.

You're working on assumptions. Is there any proof that they are running the M-bin with a lower current? I would send it back or sell it in the marketplace if you're not happy with it. I'm very happy with mine, especially after putting it up against a surefire M6. I'm a normal guy, and don't know about or care to know what K or M bin means. 16% different? I have a hard time telling the difference between low and high on a TK 10 and that's much more than a 16% different if I recall.

donald2036

Newly Enlightened
You're working on assumptions. Is there any proof that they are running the M-bin with a lower current? I would send it back or sell it in the marketplace if you're not happy with it. I'm very happy with mine, especially after putting it up against a surefire M6. I'm a normal guy, and don't know about or care to know what K or M bin means. 16% different? I have a hard time telling the difference between low and high on a TK 10 and that's much more than a 16% different if I recall.

Yes, that was an assumption. But what is fact is that Fenix has mixed their TK40 with K & M bin, and that's absolutely unfair to a portion of customer, especially I believe most of the pre-orders are with K-bins, whilst, most of the pre-orders are hardcore Fenix fans. And that I'm just disappointted how Fenix treat their fans.

You might not probably care about the 16%, but that doesn't mean somebody else don't care.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Hey, for those of you with the K bin, or who are thinking of buying and worried about receiving a K bin, I just ran my review unit's serial number and low and behold, it's a K bin.

Just go ahead and buy it! I can't imagine this thing getting any brighter! Those beamshots were taken on 4 Eneloops to boot!

donald2036

Newly Enlightened
Hey, for those of you with the K bin, or who are thinking of buying and worried about receiving a K bin, I just ran my review unit's serial number and low and behold, it's a K bin.

Just go ahead and buy it! I can't imagine this thing getting any brighter! Those beamshots were taken on 4 Eneloops to boot!

Nice review. I run my TK40 with 4 AA also, and I just don't see any difference in brightness comparing with 8AA except the shorter runtime. :party:

BTW, I would really hope to see more reviews on the runtime with 4AAs. Especially on high mode (not turbo) which I use the most. :hitit:

bodhran

Enlightened
I agree that knowing how many people feel about thier flashlights, it probably wasn't a good idea for Fenix to mix the bins, but either way, it's still a great flashlight. I also recieved a Wolf Eyes holster which was mentioned in an earlier post. Fits the TK40 very well. A smaller one that also works is the Raine D cell holster.

Last edited:

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I just checked and mine is a K-Bin... I'm still very happy with the light, but I am discouraged from preordering lights. In the future I think I will wait for products to stabilize and have some track record before ordering.