Fenix TK45 - anymore news on this new light?

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
thxs for the review and info bobisculous!:twothumbs
I'm saving up for the TK45 now!

Last edited:

McAllan

Enlightened
thxs for the review and info bobisculous!:twothumbs
I'm saving up for the TK45 now!

Me too. Or actually no need for saving up :grin2:

The only real considerations I've got is about throw. Since I've already got a TK40 I really see no obvious need to get a TK45 if it doesn't have better throw than the 40. Or maybe that why we're all here. We love buying things we have no practical excuse to buy - or at least buys way more than needed.

About the beam-color. I really love my TK40. It's got a really great compromise between cool (like the LD20 etc.) and neutral white (the TK20 etc.) - and way better color rendition than the LD20 too. In the YouTube demo of the TK40 compared to TK45 the difference is obvious too. The TK45 looks more like LD20 etc. Beyond me that very few others mentions this too. Can't believe I'm the only one a bit tired of all those ultra cool lights :thinking:

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Me too. Or actually no need for saving up :grin2:

The only real considerations I've got is about throw. Since I've already got a TK40 I really see no obvious need to get a TK45 if it doesn't have better throw than the 40. Or maybe that why we're all here. We love buying things we have no practical excuse to buy - or at least buys way more than needed.

About the beam-color. I really love my TK40. It's got a really great compromise between cool (like the LD20 etc.) and neutral white (the TK20 etc.) - and way better color rendition than the LD20 too. In the YouTube demo of the TK40 compared to TK45 the difference is obvious too. The TK45 looks more like LD20 etc. Beyond me that very few others mentions this too. Can't believe I'm the only one a bit tired of all those ultra cool lights :thinking:

I think that's it, we need an excuse to buy!:thumbsup: I like the TK40 so much I always wanted to buy a second one but couldn't really completely justify it in my mind so I sat on the fence. But now the TK45 is definitely reason enough.

Last edited:

don.gwapo

Enlightened
They should't call it TK-WHY. Which Head is Yours? Anyway, nice light considering using inexpensive, widely available aa batteries.

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Here are a few images I just took.

I couldn't take beamshots outside as it was raining. I took some inside, but they didn't turn out well.

The obligatory gun n' light combo:
IMG_6360.JPG

Next is my Fenix collection. We have the TK45 of course, then above that is my old L1P on the left, to the right of that is my L2D and last is my old L0D CE on the keychain. Gives a little bit of a size comparison.
IMG_6367.JPG

And last is of the TK45 broken down in its 4 parts:
IMG_6372.JPG

I noticed the battery carrier of the TK45 is different than the TK40s. It looks like its all plastic without the metal support rods of the TK40. Is it sturdy?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for curiosity, bobisculous, could you do some more shots of the torch please? From the directly infront and maybe with your L2D beside it from the same angle too please?

Would you be able to weight it too? Just want to know if its heavier than 3 L2D's. Or 4.

Maybe a beamshot against the L2D?

Just to satisfy the curiosity of those of us who tape together their L2D's in a similar configuration. I'm sure its brighter and the beam will be better than 3 or 4 L2D's taped together.

I have 3 L2D's and a L1D made up of 2 Q5's, a rebel 100 and a P4. It's a lot of light together but the spot of the beam is all over the place. Mind you, the 2 Q5's have different beam patterns and I think one of them is bluer than the other. I wonder if Fenix will match the best set of LED's for each trio?

LeifUK

Enlightened
You can use the Fenix bike mount to clamp two lights together and the beams do coalesce nicely. Two Quark AA2's produce a lot of light.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry -- I saw some asked more questions a few days ago but forgot to make a reply.

The battery carrier is alright. If I squeeze the carrier's vertical bars, they do move and would feel they may break if I tried a whole lot more. But it feels sturdy enough that if I am not trying to break it, it won't break.

Here is a comparison of the L2D and TK45

lightscompare.jpg

I will see if I can get a comparison of the two beamshots. I have an image here, but am not sure if the batteries in the L2D are 100 percent. I don't think they are, so don't think I should post that yet.

I got some eneloop's specifically for this light now. Figured it was time since I don't think the batteries that I had in it originally were very fresh. Noticed the medium and high levels were become the same light output.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some eneloop's specifically for this light now. Figured it was time since I don't think the batteries that I had in it originally were very fresh. Noticed the medium and high levels were become the same light output.

Please post your opinions after you get the Sanyo Eneloops in your TK45. With my TK40, the turbo mode wasn't noticeably brighter with my eyes when I used it with alkaline batteries the first couple of weeks that I owned it. I'll bet that the TK45 is the same way.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got the light, the alkaline batteries that it came with were depleted in some fashion. However when I first got it, there was a big difference with the alkaline batteries between medium and high. I hadn't used it for much of any extended amount of time before I noticed no difference between medium and high. The batteries were given to the original owner by someone at SHOT show. The dates on the batteries were by no means new, so I expect they were used in some fashion before hand.

Either way, I have the eneloops in it now.
The eneloops make it VERY noticeably brighter between Medium and High.

300winmag

Enlightened
My question is how can we double the output of this light?
How many 18650s can it theoretically hold?
I'm thinking 2 LEDs with optics and 1 for flood....

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
Has there been any word from Fenix about a release date? I am looking foreword to acquiring this light as I am a AA fan but never really liked the TK40.

Alex

Magnumpy

Newly Enlightened
I think Fenix must be having some trouble with this design because they've apparently missed their launch target :confused:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wouldn't be the for first time when manufacturer pushed a release date of a new flashlight :D