Finally finished: Triple Seoul P7 Mag-Lite

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Define "Pretty Warm" ?? .. :D

Is there a problem in Under-Driving the LED's? ... if not,.. and you're happy with the results,.. then you could just leave it the way that it was (???) ..

Just thinking out loud .. :)

Rick

wquiles

Flashaholic
Ok, it seems like the pot was turned when I put everything together --> leds underdriven. The light is getting pretty warm now after a few minuts but it is still in the working specs I think

That is more like it. Physics dictate that at close to 30 Watts it "had" to get warmer. If you later have time, please take the temp measurement again after 10 minutes (and please do let us know the ambient temp as well). It would be good to have another reference point for these builds :D

Will

Al Combs

Enlightened
It's amazing to me how free of artifacts your beamshots look. Especially considering the use of smooth reflectors. The wall shot is barely showing a trace of darkening at the center. Something you'd expect from a smooth reflector P7 build. The road and the tree show no trace of it. Your reflector guy really did an excellent job.
Edit: A few more pics...

Al Combs

Enlightened
There are a few things I forgot to ask. Is your heat sink clear anodized? If not, how did you manage to glue down the P7's using your MX-2/Epoxy mix, without shorting them out? I liked the way your first homemade P7 had a heat sink anodized with a color that matched the light. That would be awesome if you could offer it as an option. Red goes good with black too. Finally, would it be possible to buy a set of three reflectors and a heat sink, but without the regulator?

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Yes the heatsink is clear anodized.
It would be very difficult to let them anodize the heatsink in different colors because the minimum order quantity is not that low you know...

The red heatsink was self anodized. I anodized the half day with very low current in order to prevent heat which causes worse anodize quality.

In the wintertime I was even able to get something near HAIII. I just but the acid bath pot into the snow and let it run over night.

What I got was a very dark anodizing which wasn't scratchable with my knife.

So if you want other colors you can try anodizing by yourself.

All you need is sulfuric acid or acid from lead batteries, a power supply and aluminium.
I used dye color for clothes which is uv stable. came out very well.

And yes the parts will be separately available.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Hmm... I wonder what my wife would say about a big pot of acid in the refrigerator?:crackup::crackup::crackup:

In the wintertime I was even able to get something near HAIII. I just but the acid bath pot into the snow and let it run over night.

So if you want other colors you can try anodizing by yourself.

All you need is sulfuric acid or acid from lead batteries, a power supply and aluminium.
I used dye color for clothes which is uv stable. came out very well.

Excellent, I'll be watching this thread. :popcorn:

And yes the parts will be separately available.

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
if you hold the current low then you don't need the fridge :thumbsup:

Anodizing produce hydrogen. If you do it in your fridge and if I were your wife then I would rather wonder why my fridge go:poof: :D

sami_voodoo

Newly Enlightened
Kudos for a great project! :twothumbs The light looks very nice!

However, just to put things in perspective; Budget for the tri-P7 light:

Mag 4D = $40.00
3x DSWOI P7 = $86.00
4x 18650 = $20.00
2x Li-Ion chrgr = $18.00
DerWichtel kit = €45.00=~$60
Total = $224.00 :sssh:

I'm not missing anything am I? I think I'll have to stick with a single P7 DD 2D Mag for the time being. I'm hunting one on ebay.:whistle: I already have an H22A heatsink. Then just a P7 LED to get from Photonfanatic, 3 C-cells and off I go.

Last edited:

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
It all depends on where you buy your components.

Mag-Lites are much cheaper in the US compared to Europe for example. One charger is enough I think and you can get DSXOJ P7 for 20$ each. I like the DSWOI more than DSXOJ. you have to see for yourself if it is worth the 8$ difference.

sami_voodoo

Newly Enlightened
True, Everything starts to get expensive as soon as you start shipping stuff :mad:. Still, it's good to know that an "almost" turnkey solution is available for tri-P7 Mag. And it's probably the most efficient 2K+ torch lumens you can get (short of going for HID - which is fragile).

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
The reflectors arrived today. I will start a new topic in the B/S/T section tomorrow.
BTW they seem to focus the light a little bit better...

supasizefries

Enlightened
Any runtime data yet on your setup? I'm wondering if this can be done with a 3D or even a 2D form factor. Great looking light!

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
I forgot to take my charger with me so currently I don't have any chargers for 18650 batteries. And I want to play with it for a little while so I try to safe as much batterie as I can.

In the next two weeks I'll get my charger back and will try to make some runtimetests. I think the runtime is about 50min.

I think you can fit some 17650 cells into a 3D Mag or use some 18350 cells even in a 2D.

Last edited:

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
sure:
IMG_0717.JPG

Remove the anodizing with sodium hydroxide ( NaOh) or Drano or anything else that contains NaOh.
Then take a piece of foam and wrap some copper wires around it. Thats it....

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Der Wichtel,

This is so impressive. You're a one-man-band, engineering the parts youself, getting them manufactured to your specs, and then constructing the mod. You should be extremely proud!

Now for a question... It appears that your driver isn't heatsinked or potted in any way. Does it not generate that much heat, or is it in no danger of burning itself up after many extended run periods?

It seems to me that the only component missing from your kit is a custom battery carrier to go with it :poke: :naughty: