FIRE-FOXES FF5 XENON HID 10000lm 2000m Thrower Searchlight Flashlight

BVH

Supporter
Not using the batteries and carrier. I can probably use my programmable DC power supply to get it done. It looks like the front of the carrier has both the POS and NEG contacts. So I'd feed 14.8 VDC, which is 3.7 Volts Per Cell - Nominal power from the supply to the appropriate contacts on the head and the supply will read Voltage and current. Volts X's Amps will give power used by the entire light. From that number, we can deduce what the "100 Watt" mfg figure is describing - Total power or power to the lamp. If the number is 120 - 130 Watts, then we can deduce that there's close to 100 Watts to the lamp. If the number is 100, then subtract btw 20 and 25% and that will be power to the lamp.

badtziscool

CPF Supporter
Not using the batteries and carrier. I can probably use my programmable DC power supply to get it done. It looks like the front of the carrier has both the POS and NEG contacts. So I'd feed 14.8 VDC, which is 3.7 Volts Per Cell - Nominal power from the supply to the appropriate contacts on the head and the supply will read Voltage and current. Volts X's Amps will give power used by the entire light. From that number, we can deduce what the "100 Watt" mfg figure is describing - Total power or power to the lamp. If the number is 120 - 130 Watts, then we can deduce that there's close to 100 Watts to the lamp. If the number is 100, then subtract btw 20 and 25% and that will be power to the lamp.

I found post of the FF5 on a german flashlight form. One member there did some calculations based on total runtime on high and measured the voltage of the batteries, did a bit of math and found that the power draw from the batteries equaled to 100w. So it doesn't look like it's 100w to the lamp, but to the ballast. It'd be interesting to see if you're able to test with your power supply and see if it agrees with his method.

The only assumption he made was that the resting voltage of the batteries at the end of the test is 3.0v and not 2.5v. This was because at the end of the test, his first measurement of the batteries showed 2.5v, but he took one battery out, put it back, and remeasured the voltage and it showed 3.0v.

Below is through Google Translate so take it for what it is. :

All in all, the lamp has 4 x 18650, fully charged, 1144 seconds or 19 minutes in the turbo ....... along with 4 short breaks! The batteries are Sony VTC6 and I assume that this is about 3,000 mah, there is no information on baidu that according to the "test" gives up to 9,000 mWh with a cut-off of 2.5 volts , but since they still have 3, I assume 0 volts of 8,000 mWh for this case (in science you often have to make an assumption somewhere if you don't have all the data) ..... and that in theory results in a "consumption" of 4 x 8 Wh = 32 Wh in 1144 seconds and that is again equal to the maximum output of the FF5 HID lamp of 1 00 watts or better said = 32 x 3600 seconds / 1144 seconds. and the calculation is correct! (in theory) ..... there is nothing better than science because it never lies!
The less good thing is that the batteries have to deliver a current of P = UxI or P / U = I = 100 / {4 x 3.7} = 6.8 Ampere in series ...... and then 4 x 18650s are a little bit less for a HID lamp in "this power class"

Last edited:

freeme

Vendor
HID bulbs have arrived at Neal's warehouse.

HID-stocks.jpg

Alex1234

HID bulbs have arrived at Neal's warehouse.

HID-stocks.jpg

someone needs to make a tutorial on how to replace the bulb if need be. Seams like it would be quite a delicate operation. ill have two spare bulbs when they arrive but i wouldn't know how to replace it. Id have a lot more confidence in replacing the bulb if there was a nice step by step video.

ampdude

CPF Supporter
someone needs to make a tutorial on how to replace the bulb if need be. Seams like it would be quite a delicate operation. ill have two spare bulbs when they arrive but i wouldn't know how to replace it. Id have a lot more confidence in replacing the bulb if there was a nice step by step video.

Would also be nice to know if they'll work in the FF4 or FF3 as well.

Lips

Bulbs without the ceramic and wires installed are virtually useless... They did begin selling them correctly at the end of the FFIV

ampdude

CPF Supporter
Bulbs without the ceramic and wires installed are virtually useless... They did begin selling them correctly at the end of the FFIV

Yea, I was hesitant to order any right now. Maybe they can put a rebuild kit together to sell instead.

freeme

Vendor
Neal has made a request for a video demo from FF.

freeme

Vendor
I am total noob for HID flashlight or automotive headlights (third party HID XENONs are illegal for our roads). Please enlighten me why the missing parts are critical for the build?

Alex1234

I just spent $40 a few weeks ago on two extra bulbs. I just received them. There is no ceramic on them. I really hope theirs a away to install them because if not i just wasted $40. Why would Fire Fox sell just the bulbs like this if they are useless? I am kinda confused.

richbuff

CPF Supporter
Supporter
tatasal has posted a comparative beamshot comparing FF5, BLF GT, BLF GT90 and BLF GT94 at another location, and it also was linked on the German forum, too.

Hey guys, If you can believe it, I have like 20 LED flashlights and just heard about this bad boy! I’m new to this and I’ve ordered from Neal and been very happy. Did you guys all go with the 4300K option? I’m guessing I should buy the accessories too. What batteries are you guys using?

Thanks!!

HARDUSVD70

CW means Cool White in regards to tint. I ordered the 4300k version as I'm worried the 6500k will be too blue. Also 4300k bulbs are usually brighter so i like that.

Parameters I got for the 6500k short arc edition:
Color temperature =>6500k
Light flux 6000lm
Light intensity around 3Mcd
Range (ASDL) 3400m

Last edited:

BVH

Supporter
When I changed the ballast that I damaged on my 6500K, FFV, I found "5500K" markings on the lamp base. That color temp lamp was more or less confirmed.