Fire-Foxes III compared to Magic Scorpion 40W and 85W Ebay HID...

alby26

Newly Enlightened
The firefoxes is incredible bright for its size, i need to buy one :naughty: !

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that were the case, the IMR's I'm using would be getting toasty.

It's possible the lower the internal resistance of the cell (IMR is much lower than LiCo) the lower the temp of the cell when under load.

The 2600 would have a higher IR than the 3100, therefore run hotter under high load.

Yep. +1 :thumbsup: As well as the increased voltage sag (over a lower resistance cell) resulting in a higher amperage demand from the ballast. The FF3 is a VERY well regulated light so higher current would be the result of high resistance cells, not low resistance.

jayrob

Enlightened
anyone running the new panasonic 3400mahs? just wondering how much more runtime you are getting and how the cells run?

Im running sanyo 2600s now, they seem to fit better in the battery case... i tried aw3100s, they were a tight fit... i noticed running the sanyos, the light seems to get a little hotter faster... its the same thing when i run a single sanyo 2600 in a different light as well... maybe the discharge current is slightly higher from these cells?

I have the Panasonic 3400's, but have not done any comparisons with other cells...

I can tell you that they fit perfectly, and they seem to be awesome. But I have no current draw testing or anything like that. I would venture a guess that they will be among the best though!

Maybe we can talk Colonel Sanders into doing some testing! :)

He showed some good testing on the Feilong 32650's that I carry here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?337710

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Maybe we can talk Colonel Sanders into doing some testing!"

That wouldn't be hard to do! :thumbsup: That is, of course, if the slow boat from China ever arrives. I'm still running on 18350s. :(

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Maybe we can talk Colonel Sanders into doing some testing!"

That wouldn't be hard to do! :thumbsup: That is, of course, if the slow boat from China ever arrives. I'm still running on 18350s. :(

Ok, my first test is done on a new bare Panasonic 3400. At a 4a load it holds voltage like an IMR cell. Starting voltage was 4.22v and I ended at 2.75v....how about 3305mah?!? Again, that's at a 4a load on a brand new cell with no cycles. If it's like most cells I've tested, it should pick up a little more with several more cycles.

Most impressive was it's ability to maintain voltage. :bow: Think of it as a hybrid IMR cell with 3400+ capacity. :cool:

I am extremely pleased with this initial testing to say the least.

These cells should provide the FFIII better than 1 hr runtime even if the hot temp kickdown is prevented.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
These cells should provide the FFIII better than 1 hr runtime even if the hot temp kickdown is prevented.

Hi there Colonel

When you mention the above I was just wondering if you had something particular in mind when it comes to preventing the thermal protection kickdown from activating, as I would be extremely interested in finding out just exactly how this may be implemented!

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I held mine in front of the ac and it didn't step down. I wonder once winter comes if we can expect long runtimes on high outside

jayrob

Enlightened
Ok, my first test is done on a new bare Panasonic 3400. At a 4a load it holds voltage like an IMR cell. Starting voltage was 4.22v and I ended at 2.75v....how about 3305mah?!? Again, that's at a 4a load on a brand new cell with no cycles. If it's like most cells I've tested, it should pick up a little more with several more cycles.

Most impressive was it's ability to maintain voltage. :bow: Think of it as a hybrid IMR cell with 3400+ capacity. :cool:

I am extremely pleased with this initial testing to say the least.

Thanks for posting back with your results!

I could tell from use that they were awesome cells, but it's good to see some real testing to verify... :cool:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there Colonel

When you mention the above I was just wondering if you had something particular in mind when it comes to preventing the thermal protection kickdown from activating, as I would be extremely interested in finding out just exactly how this may be implemented!

Check out post #5 is the following thread... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...he-woods-II-SR51-vs-Firefox-I-vs-Fire-Fox-III

I'm thinking about a modified version of this. By modified I mean I think I can find a better insulator. I wonder how hot it gets between the reflector and board? I can do some testing and if it's not too tremendously hot I would like to use a piece of spray foam insulastion (the stuff in my walls and in my attic.) Closed cell spray foam has an R-value of 6.6/in. I haven't tested yet but I'd venture to say that it can take heat up at least over 300 degrees though I'm just guessing at this point.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Check out post #5 is the following thread... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...he-woods-II-SR51-vs-Firefox-I-vs-Fire-Fox-III

I'm thinking about a modified version of this. By modified I mean I think I can find a better insulator. I wonder how hot it gets between the reflector and board? I can do some testing and if it's not too tremendously hot I would like to use a piece of spray foam insulastion (the stuff in my walls and in my attic.) Closed cell spray foam has an R-value of 6.6/in. I haven't tested yet but I'd venture to say that it can take heat up at least over 300 degrees though I'm just guessing at this point.

Thanks a lot for the information Colonel, as I do appreciate it. I had actually already been aware of the post that you refer to above, however I had thought that maybe you had come up with an alternative solution. I too know that with an AC on it this would most probably either delay or totally prevent it, however I had also presumed that by mounting an air conditioner on it that my runtime may be significantly reduced! I also had thought that it may just make it a little bit harder to carry, mainly due to my rather small hands. Anyway I would really love to be kept informed about any of your solutions and their corresponding results, which I am also quite certain that you would be performing with absolute military precision!

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Hey Colonel

Please don't take this the wrong way because it is just a little tip, and I am not trying to be a smart a#@e in any way. Are you aware of the fact that you can actually link directly to a specific post, just like this! All you have to do is to copy the link from the actual post number that is situated on the right hand side of the page of the specific post that you want the link to direct you to. Anyway I hope that it may come in quite handy!

gerryccw

Newly Enlightened
Great review, I have mine FF-3 since 3weeks ago, It's Awesome!!!..
after light it on, just feel all LED flashlight seems downgrade of flashlight. :devil:
anyway, It's different grade of product, I still love my LED flash light for most of reason.
however, if there is a competition, I will get my FF-3 for it !.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is dead so I prob won't get an answer but does anybody know how FF3 and Magic Scorpion 65w compare as far as heat sinking goes? Of course Magic Scorpion has to have better heat sink but is it by a lot or just by a little?

Latest posts